Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Online Classes

Forum Member

Default Online Classes

Hey guys. I have TA benefits through the military that I want to take advantage of, could someone recommend me a good online school where I could start working on a degree in fire science? I'm deployed right now so if there was any online classes I could take that would be great. Appreciate it.

Stay safe guys

Forum Member

Found a 100% online class at American Public University. It is regionally accredited by the Regional Board - North Central Association of Colleges & Schools and offers a 63 credit 100% online undergraduate degree in Fire Science. Does anyone have any experience with them, or a similar school like Phoenix?

Forum Member

Do you have any college hours or an a/a??

What is your goal with the degree???

Have you looked at some of the replies already??

Forum Member

There is one in Arizona. Need to find the name

Western Illinois has a four year after you get an a/a with minor in fire admin

Sorry, do a search and maybe use " online
    Last edited by fire49; 12-23-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Forum Member

i cannot find the jr college in arizona that grand canyon tranfers credit hours from.

If you email the fire program at grand canyon they can tell you the name

Forum Member

I have an associates in Electrical and Mechanical Technology. I have a year left in the military and I plan on getting out and I will join a fire dept. back home. I just don't want to sit around for the next year when I could be making moves. Right now I am deployed so my only option is online classes. I see that Central TX College offers a few online courses in fire science, the only issue there is if the credits would transfer to the college back home next year. Thats a question I need to call the schools about though.

My reason for posting on here was to see if someone was aware of a school that offered a NFPA certified fire science degree online. I see that Kaplan has one but I havent heard good things about those types of schools.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    i cannot find the jr college in arizona that grand canyon tranfers credit hours from.

If you email the fire program at grand canyon they can tell you the name
    thats a good lead. I'm checking up on it now, thanks

edit: was looking for the GCU program when I came across the Eastern Kentucky University program. I think it looks really good, and a guy I work with graduated from the actual campus. I actually got a headache from being on line so much going through all these schools yesterday, then got on to look again first thing this morning, EKU is looking the best so far. I'm so excite
    Last edited by eskim0; 12-24-2012 at 12:30 AM.

Forum Member

since you have a degree check western illinois bot, distance learning program

it is not a fire sceince degree, but a four year degree with a minor in fire admin

http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php?release_id=3171

http://www.wiu.edu/catalog/2010_-_20...ms/general.php

I liked it, but I was just wanting a four year degree, and was not panning on using it for anything.

I normally recommend get a degree in a field that will lead to a non fd job. this is because, a person may not land a fd job, and they can also use it as a second job if they get into the fd.

I hate to say it but a fire science degree does give youo knowledge, but does not help much till you start promoting, and some cities also pay for you to attend college. So you could pick up the fire scence classes once you get hired.

what state do you plan on landing in??

Forum Member

any emt programs where you are at??

Forum Member

I will be moiving back to Omaha NE. The dept. doesn't hire to often so here is my plan. I have enough life experience to know plans don't always work out but this is what I have going on in my head right now. Use my tuition assistance ($4500 a year) to take some online classes. EasternKentucky has the online fire administration program and I will have to make some calls but the credits look like they will transfer to the college back home that has a fire science program including EMT classes and Firefighter I&II. I will use GI Bill and basically have a job as a full time student. This will give me time to join a Vol. Dept. and get some hands on experience and training while I wait for the hiring process to begin. In an ideal world I want to get on the Omaha Fire Dept. but there are a few other larger dept. in the surrounding area as well. This is what will happen in my ideal world.

Forum Member

Best thing is to test anywhere and everywhere
    If you get on somewhere else, stay there a year or better then test for Omaha

Do the depts in ne require any certs just to apply?? If so get them first and maybe get emt first before any other degree

Forum Member

No just a highschool diploma to apply in Omaha, not sure about the surrounding area but that is something I'm going to have to look into. Merry Christmas, hope you have a good one.

stay safe

Thread Information