Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By IronsMan53

Thread: Spartan 100 ft Platforms

Forum Member

Default Spartan 100 ft Platforms

Need help guys, Does anybody have personal experience with Spartan's 100 ft-rear mount-3 section steel ladder platforms. I am just trying to educate myself on the pros and cons of the truck and how it has performed for their dept(s). I am new to this forum so any help would be appreciated.Spartan haters-try to be nice/Spartan lovers-try to be unbiased. I am looking for things that a user would or wouldn't do again if they had to spec out a Spartan platform again. Thanks for the help...

Let's talk fire trucks!

Jaff,

Welcome to the forum.

In order to help, can we clarify who's physical aerial device you're talking about, since there are a lot of aerial devices riding around on Spartan chassis, but the body was built by another manufacturer.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Sorry BoxAlarm, Crimson aerial ladder mounted on a Spartan Gladiator chassis. Not very familiar with Crimson ladder towers in general so I am just trying to educate myself on them.Thanks for the help.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't sell any longer, so claims of me negative selling are a thing of the past, but research torque box issues. I seem to recall at least one rig, if not more, being bought back by Crimson due to cracked torque boxes. I suspect Crimson/Spartan ERV will have taken care of this issue by now.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Thanks npfd, That is useful information to know about. I'm curious if it was a torque box for a straight stick or ladder tower ? Also, do you know if Crimson/Spartan ERV have acquired any aerial ladder manufacturers recently (within the last few years)?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jaff06 View Post
    Thanks npfd, That is useful information to know about. I'm curious if it was a torque box for a straight stick or ladder tower ? Also, do you know if Crimson/Spartan ERV have acquired any aerial ladder manufacturers recently (within the last few years)?
    Pretty sure it was their rear mount platforms. I'd search the forums here since I think it was also posted here.

To my knowledge, Spartan ERV/Crimson haven't acquired anyone - their aerials were essentially a Jim Salmi design who originally came from LTI if I'm not mistaken. They've allied themselves with Giamex from Europe for a boom product but I think the Crimson lines was a "clean sheet" product from the start.

If I'm in error on this, someone please correct me.

**EDIT** Can't find proof of my Crimson aerial claim. I may be wrong, it won't be the first time. I seem to recall at least one of the rigs was from the Chicago suburbs. I'll keep trying to figure this out.
    Last edited by npfd801; 12-25-2012 at 10:03 PM.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay... Here's one of the issues from the past:

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t102457/ (Topeka, Ks New Crimson Aerial pulled from Service)

This is Topeka, KS with an issue. There is also mention of the Wheaton, IL issue in this thread.

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t99523/ (Smeal Introduces New Tiller)

Photos in this thread of the crack.

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t89938-4/ (Boomer)

Last one to look at. Also - FYI it looks like the cracks were on 103 foot straight sticks.

Let me make it clear, this is not me attacking Spartan ERV, but putting forth info for a buyer to look at. I'm convinced every builder has skeletons in their closet. The transparency with which a builder and how quickly one corrects these mistakes is what defines them.
    Last edited by npfd801; 12-25-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks npfd, The examples you have given are not attacks at all. There is not one apparatus builder who is perfect,everyone of them has had issues in the past and will in the future as well. You last sentence sums it all up in a nutshell.If you find a problem,fix it and try to make it better.One thing that I have heard from local depts that have bought Crimson around my area is the good customer service the local dealer provides when a problem needs fixing. I think you are correct on the LTI angle, in that former LTI employees are part of the aerial team at Crimson.Thanks for the help.

Forum Member

Read all the threads attached to the links npfd and it was good info to be aware of. Good thing is that they are over 4 yrs old which I'm hoping indicates that progress has been made on those issues. I should have named the thread "Crimson 100 ft Platforms" but I chose Spartan because of the name change. To any Crimson 100 ft rear mount platform user out there, is there anything you would do different to your spec? IFS/ no IFS, single/double/triple channel frame rails, rear suspension(air,rubber,spring). Any help would be appreciated.

Forum Member

To: jaff06 I am sure that Crimson Spartan builds a good aerial product, but are you looking at other builders like Pierce, Kme, Rosey, Smeal, Ferrara,etc.Also what state are you located in ?

Forum Member
    everyonegoeshome.com

Forum Member

Woodbridge, we have looked at the other guys as well,even have a few of their aerials in service, but not a Crimson aerial. Haven't put a whole lot of thought into KME and Rosenbauer though, nothing against them but there aren't alot of them here in Texas. Dallas FD seems to be content with their Crimson's, as I have spoken to a handful of FF's who ride on them. But I don't think they have any rear mount platforms, only mid mount platforms,straight sticks and Tillers.Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by jaff06; 12-27-2012 at 12:51 AM.

Forum Member

Thanks for the link bcjack... I think that is actually one of the most recent threads about Crimson.

Forum Member

Crimson/spartan in the past two or three years has become more popular here in the State of New Jersey, since Campbell Supply LLC started selling Crimson, after they broke ties with " ALF ". I see many more Spartans here due to bid awards lower priced than Pierce Aerials !

Forum Member

I would look at KME. I haven't had time on their late model chassis, but I can tell you from experience that their aerial platforms are very strong with little flex. We used to run an older rig and it appears that the actual structural design of the aerial hasn't changed much since they took over from Grumman.
    Woodbridge likes this.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Thread Information