Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By tree68
  • 2 Post By FyredUp
  • 2 Post By DCmedic1
  • 1 Post By Bones42

Thread: Things I've learned since Volunteering

Forum Member

Default Things I've learned since Volunteering

1. Never overeat. You're guaranteed to go to a ridiculous fire if you're too full.
    2. The pager can, will and does wake the dead.
    3. Truck sits outside, so I put a rug on my windshield on nights I suspect will frost.
    4. People are always glad to see us arrive on scene. Cops have GOT to envy that.
    5. I keep a couple bottles of water in my truck. Post fire thirst is CRAZY!
    6. I keep a pack of gum in my truck at all times. Death breath is uncool and no time for teeth brushing when the pager wakes the dead.
    7. Be smart! Adrenaline will take you to a place where your experience, ability and training can't sustain you...and your Brothers can't save you.
    8. Keep socks, pants, shirt and whatever else you might need to throw on beside the bed and ready to go. Forget this, and you're guaranteed to go out that night.
    9. Calls always come in threes.
    10. Being in top physical condition on the fireground is worth the pain of sprints and weights.
    11. Always strive to be the kind of Brother that you'd want to have...and the kind that represents the best of the Fire Service.
    12. A set of dry, clean clothes at the hall or in your truck are worth their weight in gold after a big call.

Who else has some tips or universal truths regarding volunteering?

MembersZone Subscriber

Corrollary for #1 - Never eat more than your mask will hold...

13. If they insist they'll be there for "the big one," they won't be there for that one, either.
    Lewiston2FF and RyanK63 like this.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Corrollary for #1 - Never eat more than your mask will hold...

13. If they insist they'll be there for "the big one," they won't be there for that one, either.
    LOL @ the mask! I've never seen that, but I'm sure it happens somewhere regularly.

And agreed on #13. I've noticed I see the same faces at all our events, structure fires and fund raisers included.

Forum Member

14. If your on a big grass fire and somebody offers to go buy burgers for the crew, always say yes, thank you, even if you just got done eating. You never know how long you'll be out there.

Forum Member

#15. Have spare gloves (in multiple sizes: M, Lg., XLG, etc.) on each rig. You never know when your gloves will get soggy and cold and you will need to change to a dry pair.

#16. Every rig going off road (grass fires, etc.) should have a tow rope or chain and clevis w/ pin. You know one truck will get stuck! Spray paint the clevis, pin and safety pin flourescent orange, in case someone drops it in the grass, so you can readily find it.

#17. Keep a suitable size set of booster cables on each truck. You never know when a battery on a rig
    will go dead and need a boost.

#18. If a truck does not have a EMS jump bag on it, have several CPR masks, along with medical gloves
    on that rig anyway. You may need to give CPR.

Forum Member

19. Sometimes the reported structure fire is a candle flickering through the window. Sometimes the grass fire covers five acres and is threatening several houses. And you're never sure which it is until you are on scene.

Forum Member

20 Just because some places are paid on call does not mean they are better than every one. We all receive the same training, and also are after the same goal.

21 Just because you may have them fancy lights and sirens on your pov dont mean your above the law and ever other motorist on the road.

22 Even the smallest routine call can turn into the big one in a second. So make every single call you are available for.

Forum Member

23 For us rural guys-pecan and peanut warehouses and cotton gin fires can't be extinguished-only kept from spreading. And those frustrating fires happen on the coldest, nastiest nights. And sometimes last for days.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF-Andy View Post
    1. Never overeat. You're guaranteed to go to a ridiculous fire if you're too full.
    But isn't it bad luck to die on an empty stomach? that's why I'm always eating.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RHB312 View Post
    23 For us rural guys-pecan and peanut warehouses and cotton gin fires can't be extinguished-only kept from spreading. And those frustrating fires happen on the coldest, nastiest nights. And sometimes last for days.
    Generally the same for those of us in farming communities. A dairy barn with 2000 bales of hay in the mow will go out when it's darned good and ready.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

24. Firefighters will look for drama where there is none, so it is better to be busy than not because then there is no time for that type of nonsense. One example is the constant BS of who is better, Paid/Volunteer/Paid On Call. Nothing more than a drama causing waste of time.
    RyanK63 and DCmedic1 like this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

25. When someone acts like they know it all and they stop listening/learning they end up dead.
    FyredUp and Lewiston2FF like this.
    Theres only one simple truth in this business...we are all going to lose someone

Forum Member

26. At the firehouse, it's Ok to not like another guy, to argue, to disagree. When the call comes in...all that goes out the window and work together.
    Lewiston2FF likes this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information