Forum Member

Default Cutters: Tin, Cable, Lineman

Could one do the job for all in regards to just cutting objects?

Truckie

Quote Originally Posted by DBake5 View Post
    Could one do the job for all in regards to just cutting objects?
    Tin: Unless you use a bull-nose style, cutting any type of wire will affect the cutting edge. Even the bull-nose edge isn't hardened to that extent.

Lineman or Kleins: Excellent choice, can cut battery/electrical cables, fairly thick ones also if you have enough lead in your pencil. Again, steel cable will affect the edge on the side-cutters.

Cable cutters: Are you talking wire rope cable? They have a real small cutting surface/throat, usually edge on anvil. Great for wire rope, but to small for just about anything else. Even then as an elevator mechanic, we only cut 1/8-3/16 selector cable and door relating cable.

Bypass electrical cable cutters: Excellent for large diameter electrical cable such as battery cables. Will cut both copper and aluminum service drops. Hardened wire rope will ruin them.

If you could only carry one, carry a set of kleins. But I would keep a set of bypass cutters in the tool box on your rig.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by SPFDRum; 12-25-2012 at 08:06 PM.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Dont know what youre cutting, or how often, but I like the channel lock brand cable cutters a lot. I had a set of klein-knockoffs that would struggle with... anything, but the CL's cut through just about anything. Granted, there are quite a few bites taken out of the blades at this point, but they do continue to get the job done. They probably wont last forever because of the work they do, but they work great, the price wasnt bad, and hey theyre made in PA
    To Persist is to Conquer.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's not like any of them are all that expensive. If there's room in the toolbox, carry all three, plus a decent set of bolt cutters, which will probably handle that wire rope, too.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Knipex mini bolt cutters. $40 at farm and fleet. Don't know what your cutting but anything similar to a box spring and they will cut through like butter. Will fit in your bunker pants too

Forum Member

Took a very interesting class at FDIC last year where the presenters stated that they had done some significant testing regarding the cutting of suspended ceiling support rods in the event of a ceiling collapse.

They stated that pretty much the only cutters that had enough strength to cut that were the Klein cutters.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

the brand /quality of is only part of the equation -strength and technique also come into play.
    ?

Forum Member

The big problem with using lineman's pliers as your escape cutters is that they have an area in front of the cutting edges that does NOT cut. If you get anything between the pliers jaws at the same time you're trying to cut something in the cutting jaws, it won't work.

The problem with most side cutters and all cable cutters is that the jaws don't have the hardness and/or sharpness to cut through hard wire. I really want to try the Knipex mini bolt cutters.

Forum Member

Anyone try these? Says jaws are harden to have a cutting capacity of 18 gauge stainless steel....

http://www.wisstool.com/product/dsp_...c=037103580139

Forum Member

I keep a set of Channel Lock cable Cutters in my Pocket. I redid one side of the handle with some Para cord and re dip'd in Tool dip to give me a Grab Cord when reaching into my pants.

Ive used them a few times on a few different materials and haven't had an issue yet.

Forum Member

I'm a big fan of fencing pliers. They are made for cutting barbed wire, which is a fairly heavy gauge and hard wire. They have rather long handles for leverage, also a hammering surface and a spike which make them a pretty decent break stuff tool when something better isn't available.

They take a little getting used to though because the cutters are on the side of the head, not in the alligator mouth part like many wire cutters. You can find a pair for $6 or $60, and you pretty much get what you pay for,cheap tools usually don't do a good job or last long.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1289766

Forum Member

There are several models of most of the cutters listed in this thread. I'm trying to get a handle on which particular models you guys are recommending. After a quick google search, I'm linking the lowest priced versions of what I think you may be referring to. However, I'm stuck on Klein's. They have about a million models of side cutters, bolt cutters, and cable cutters.

Channel Lock 911 ?
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cnl-911?seid=google

Knipex 8" mini ?
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ku=00929109000

Thread Information