Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default 24 ft. Extension Ladder (One person)

I need some tips and advised. Anyone know any good tips and advised for doing the one person 24 ft. extension ladder. I know how to do it book wise & skilsheet heres the problem

1) Small height person around 5 feet 4 or so
    2) Small build around 120-130 pounds

I been working out lifting and so on, I just really need to do this, I beieve this is going to be my biggest task in the fire service. I mean Im pretty good at lifting etc.. everyone tells me its all about technique and confidence which I have the confidence just need tips for technique anyone know any tips videos or any good information about the 24 fy. ladder let me know. Thanks please post

if you can press the ladder over your head while the butt is planted, then you will have no issues.

1) firmly plant the butt of the ladder against a wall or the building while it laying flat in the ground. I like the lanyard up so you can use it to hoist the fly.
    2) lift the tip of the ladder up and over your head, if possible "lock" you elbows, arms straight. This way you are not using all your arm strength to hold it up.
    3) with straight arms, walk your way to the wall while the ladder goes up.
    4) pin it to the wall, use the lanyard to hoist the fly as high as you think necessary.
    5) use the wall as a brace, rotate the ladder on the individual beam to get the fly correct and in the right position.
    6) pull the bottom out to the correct angle.
    7) tie off the lanyard.

Takes a little practice, but you should be able to master this in no time!! Hope this helps.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Do a youtube search, there are a ton of good videos displaying several methods of throwing a 24' ladder. Practice makes perfect, do it as many times as you can whenever you get a chance. Many departments expect their firefighters to be able to throw a 28' ladder by themselves, so being proficient with your 24' is very important.

MembersZone Subscriber

Move quicker but safely, if your hands are big enough carry the ladder in your strong hand and when you're prepping to throw the ladder push your hand straight-up to give the ladder a few extra inches to swing down, use the momentum of the ladder to help you raise it (a little hop may help you continue the motion if you get stuck), I prefer to throw my ladders with the fly in, when you lock your leg around it to stabilize it while you are pulling the halyard make sure it is locked using the crevice on the inside of your strong knee and the inside of you foot, pull the halyard taking big bites/pulls, as you pull the halyard put the rope in your hand at a 90 degree to the ladder, once the ladder is "high" lower the ladder into the building and bend your knees as it lowers and then make contact with the building. From here, it's pretty much the same as a straight ladder once the halyards tied.

If anything here is contraindicated in your FDs SOP/SOG then don't do it and do it how it's listed there.

Good fortune and stay safe.
    Last edited by mikeyboy411; 12-27-2012 at 09:35 PM.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Physical Agility

Often, candidates don't realize that it's not just strength in the physical agility. The "Nugget " is technique, momentum and grip. If you are uncertain or having problems in the physical, take advantage of any college or academy programs to learn the techniques to practice pulling hose, throwing a ladder, dragging a dummy (not you), etc. Many departments offer practice "run-through" sessions for their physical test prior to the actual date of testing. Don't pass up this opportunity.

Many candidates feel if they set some kind of a record it will help in hiring. In most cases this is Not true! It is pass or fail. The secret "Nugget" here is to pace yourself. You don't have to break the record. If you would have no problem in passing the physical, then, why would you want to try and impress the training staff, the other candidates and tout that you set a new record? In your haste, you might injure yourself or fall down the stairs in the tower . . . and, you don't even pass. Now, you not only didn't pass the PT, you're out of the hiring process. How would you feel McFly?

With ladder throws, it's gaining momentum and a continuous movement from beginning to end of the throw, using a pivot point and the weight of the ladder to your advantage. Dragging hose or a dummy is starting with a thrust to start up the momentum, taking shorter steps, keeping a low forward center of gravity, using your own weight to keep up the momentum during the pull.

Walking a ladder is using a pivot point and the weight of the ladder to your advantage. When raising the fly, pull the rope in short hand over hand movements in front of your face not much higher than your head. On each grip of the rope, turn your fist palm down to improve your grip. Keep one foot planted at the spur (bottom one side or the other) keep the other foot back for balance. Slightly tilt the ladder towards the wall for balance as you raise it.

The dummy from my son's department disappeared from the training center. Two days later a 911 call came in from a pay phone asking for help. When units arrived at the scene, here was the dummy standing up in the phone booth with the phone receiver to his ear. Case closed.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

I am 5' 9". 155 lbs. And was taught to throw a 24' extension ladder single firefighter from day one. In my opinion there is rarely a need to perform to 2 FF 24' ladder raise. The following videos should help assist you in accomplishing this goal. I know several FF's that are of similar build to yourself. I worked with them step by step from the ground up. Then moved on to off of apparatus. One trick I used to help FF's that were struggling is using a 14' straight ladder to help get the feel and technique first. Throwing a 24' is all about technique.

This is the exact method we use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuYPfW1QVps

This is me doing it off our apparatus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpd7-OublwQ

Also, make sure you can do it from both shoulders. Be able to perform this task both right and left sided will serve you well on the fireground.

Forum Member

Thanks for posting, any other tips & comments would be great

Thanks again!!!!!!

Thread Information