Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: History of Firefighting

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Honestly, as an instructor, if someone turned in a research paper to me with wikipedia as the majority of references I would reject the paper and tell the student to do some research. I know I will sound old here but I am thinking I would also REQUIRE 2 sources that were NOT internet sources for references.
    For Pete's sake, It was not a thesis or research paper. It was for a fire apparatus class, and the instructor just wanted a paper on any fire subject, no sources were even required, I just added mine out of good form. If you use Wiki correctly, you can verify the information by reading the cited sources referenced on the Wiki pages. I have done my fair share of research papers where Wiki was not an accepted source, this was not the case. One more thing, requiring book sources is pretty old school.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelXYZ View Post
    For Pete's sake, It was not a thesis or research paper. It was for a fire apparatus class, and the instructor just wanted a paper on any fire subject, no sources were even required, I just added mine out of good form. If you use Wiki correctly, you can verify the information by reading the cited sources referenced on the Wiki pages. I have done my fair share of research papers where Wiki was not an accepted source, this was not the case. One more thing, requiring book sources is pretty old school.
    Sorry as an instructor I would NOT accept wikipedia as a source. I know requiring book references is old school but the truth is it also shows some initiative and work went into the project other than point and click. Maybe that is the problem in the first place. The computer age and the techno generation don't get that not everything in life will be point and click...
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    Was the suffering of your neighbors what motivated you to join the fire service Cap?

Yeah that really motivated me to begin a bucket brigade and then moved on to be a fireman.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Sorry as an instructor I would NOT accept wikipedia as a source. I know requiring book references is old school but the truth is it also shows some initiative and work went into the project other than point and click. Maybe that is the problem in the first place. The computer age and the techno generation don't get that not everything in life will be point and click...
    I can understand why he would use Wikipedia. It's free, you can go back to it at any time and its a great jumping off point. If you scroll down far enough on any wiki subject, you come to the references section, that's where the meat is to prove or disprove anything posted in wiki. In today's technological driven world, the new libraries are just a click away. When you have sources like NFPA or IFSTA that either want your first born to purchase a book, or charge you a fee to access their site, having something like wiki, not necessarily for its content, but for the sources provided is a good thing, I think.
    MichaelXYZ likes this.
    IAFF

Thread Information