Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Which way do I go?

hey everyone, I had a quick question and was hoping for some insight. I live in PA and am 25 years old. I am a recent veteran of the U.S. Army and am currently pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Fire Science/Public Administration. (I just received my Associates degree in Fire Science this past week.) Anyway, I first joined the fire service when I was 16 and after my first ride on a fire truck I realized right away this is how I want to make my living. I really enjoy every aspect of the fire service.
    I'm kind of at a cross road right now as the what to do. I currently have my FF1 VRT Hazmat OPS and a few other classes, such as EVOC, Pump 1 etc. I'm quickly coming to the realization that in order for me to get a paid Fire fighting job I need to complete my EMT and at the bare minimum get Fire 2 under my belt. The only problem is EMT is very time consuming and fire 2 is a pretty lengthy course as well. So, i was wondering if I should just suck it up and take EMT on top of my school schedule or wait until I'm finished with school in another 2 years to get the cert. Or just narrow my job search down to departments that offer a full length academy that covers everything? I'm kind of at the point where I'm tired of waiting around and would like to get on the job sooner rather than later, but I also know that school is pretty important and I should just suck it up and get it over with, because once you start working full time school can go out the window pretty quickly . Either way, sorry for the long rant, but what like to know would you guys would do if you were in my situation? Obviously the more certifications you have the more appealing of a candidate you become. Thanks for the advice and stay safe everyone.
    Last edited by enginecompany; 01-03-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Forum Member

1. So if you decide to finish your four year degree, What will you do with it??

2. If you want to try for ff job, you need to get the certs required to apply

3. Yes test a depts that have a full academy

Test everywhere and any where

You can always finish the degree once hired

Forum Member

I agree with Fire49. While I am all for people getting a higher education, you need the fire certs to get hired, you won't need that degree until you are looking for a chiefs job.

C41
    Forum Member

I agree with everyone above-get your EMT-B. I think FF2 depends on the state, although I don't have it and I haven't gotten hired. To my knowledge, I don't think FF2 is a make or break for where I live-but I know EMT usually is.

Forum Member

First I'd like to say thank you for your service

second TEST TEST TEST TEST everywhere and anywhere you can.

Fire 2 in PA can just be challenged and if you have Fire 1 you already have most of the knowledge you need. Review the fire 2 skill sheets, do some studying and look into getting Exam Prep: Fire Fighter I and II by Dr. Ben Hirst for the written.

EMT will definitely help..... so would your Medic
    Last edited by tonsoffun1101; 01-05-2013 at 02:54 AM.
    To the men who were there that day, my utmost respect.
    To those that will be there the next time, Ill be there by your side

Agree with what the others have said, however I will add what have you done to determine what agencies require what certs? There are so many out there that have so many different requirements. Some want EMT-B, some want EMT-IV, some want NREMT......Some want FFI, some want FFII, some want those certs to be IFSAC/Pro-Board, some dont.......Where do you want to get hired? What do THEY want specifically?

And yes there are places like the City of Philadelphia that have no requirements whatsoever and you will receive all training upon being hired.

Take any and all tests that you can- you cant say no if you dont get a date for a test. And you can finish college later.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information