Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By FWDbuff
  • 8 Post By VinnieB
  • 2 Post By nameless

Thread: FDNY and other depts getting visitors,being filmed,photos, etc

Forum Member

Default FDNY and other depts getting visitors,being filmed,photos, etc

I was just wondering how the members here, not only from NYC, but mainly because there seems to be an endless supply of video clips, photos, etc on the internet and YouTube felt about it. Does it get old, people always taking your pictures or talking to you?

I've been in the city, NYC,Philly, etc and never stopped to talk to you guys because in all honesty, it feels like it would be a bother, I mean you guys are at work doing your thing, especially if you are still in quarters because that is like you're house, well second house.

Just wanted some opinions..

Forum Member

just consider the time of day!!! and maybe if there is something going on

MembersZone Subscriber

I've gotten receptions ranging from indifference to being invited in for a meal (honest - that's not why I stopped!), to ridealongs on responses, and even an airport runway check on the way to the crash firehouse (like that would happen today!).

More that a few times I've been offered merchandise... T-shirts, patches, etc. Oftimes I'll negotiate a patch trade, and have had firefighters follow up by mail if they didn't have any at the station.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

I have been a Buff longer than I have been a firefighter. I have buffed in many of the popular northeastern cities from Hartford all the way down to and including Norfolk Va but mostly the "biggies": FDNY, Philly, Baltimore....and a few smaller ones- Camden, Trenton, Newark......I have only EVER received a bad reception but that was in Clearwater, Florida a LONG time ago by a member with a bad attitude- when I brought it to the Captain's attention, I am pretty sure the member received an attitude adjustment after I left.

As for other places, you have to remember two things: Location and tiime. Everyone on here who has been around for a while knows that I have stated time and time again whenever it is asked: STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM FDNY E10/L10. Every knucklehead in the known galaxy who is, or is even remotely related to the fire service (Hi I'm from Pigs Knuckle Arkansas and my third-cousin's sister's best friends boyfriends father is a volunteer firefighter.....) bangs on their doors at all times of the day and night due to their proximity to the WTC. Stay away. If you have to ask why, maybe you shouldnt be buffing. If you want to go look at the bronze mural on the side of their station by all means, please....But dont knock on the doors. If they initiate conversation or invite you in, then proceed.

That goes for other firehouses (in NYC they are called FIREHOUSES....) in NYC that are in busy, tourist-prone places as well such as Engine 54/4 Truck on 48th Street at 8th Ave.....near times square. Same deal as 10/10 and the fine folks of Pigs Knuckle, Ar. just not as bad as 10/10. Almost any house in lower to midtown Manhattan get swamped with visitors. And you'll never get a bad reception, it's just that it's like having your relatives come to visit you day in and day out...kind of like owning a house at the beach or having a pool....everyone wants to come over and be your friend.

Now, firehouses in other locations of NYC......The less visitors they get, the more apt you are to get a super-warm reception. Companies in the South Bronx are very known for their hospitality, but then again most houses in the City are.....I stopped in at 82 and 31 one time (yes, Engine Company 82....) just to say I did it once.....I figured they would be tired of the visitors, and ended up staying for lunch, which turned into riding with them and 12 hours and 2 jobs later I was in the car and headed for home. They were among the finest bunch of guys I ever had the pleasure of being with.

Then there are the current political situations.....I hear buffing Philly is kind of like a wet blanket right now due to the mayor and fire commish ****ing with everyone.....makes them in a bad mood.....Again you'll never get a bad reception if you go to visit but who wants visitors if you are already in a sour mood??? But guys in Philly (and everywhere else for that matter) love buffs, because we bring pictures of them at fires....You DO bring pics for the guys you take pictures of when you go to visit, RIGHT??? and you DO always KNOCK WITH YOUR ELBOWS, RIGHT???? (because your hands should be full of cakes, pies or other goodies......)

Dont ever ever NOT go buffing somewhere just because you may be afraid of offending someone or think you'll irritate them. If they have stuff to do (company training or whatever....) they will tell you (politely hopefully.....) And if you KNOW you want to visit a particular station and know how to contact them, try to call ahead, thats always a good idea. If you are traveling far, try to bring non-perishable items (I always bring philly soft pretzels which guys in other places love to get....) or if you are traveling a long way, do some research ahead of time and find local bakeries or pastry shops to buy some goodies. Baking cookies at home works too, shows you took time and effort and who doesnt like getting cookies???

Ride alongs are getting few and far between anymore due to our litigious society. Everyone wants to sue sue sue for broken fingernails- so most departments have mandated "no riders" policies. Some places still allow it, and some places dont- there are still a few places out there where I am told "if the bells go off, accidentally fall onto the piece." If you are invited to ride, get in, sit down, shut up and hold on.

Also: I have been on the "receiving" end of that also at both my career and volunteer station. I enjoy when buffs come, gives me a chance to "pay back" for all of the times I have gone knocking on doors. Anytime I am in the station and someone comes knocking, guys know to call me out onto the apparatus floor as they know I enjoy interacting with other buffs. We get many apparatus photographers (especially in the summertime) and I always "dump the house" for guys and position the rigs however they want (most apparatus photogs want the sun on the front/left corner of the piece.....) I always am sure to offer coffee, iced tea and a snack or if we are cooking and have extra they are always invited in. And never, ever charge buffs to get in on the meal.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 01-04-2013 at 07:28 PM.
    RangerJake72, RyanK63 and Rico3101 like this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    They were among the finest bunch of guys I ever had the pleasure of being with.
    Heh heh heh.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Heh heh heh.
    Except for you of course!!!!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I have a friend who buffed in NYC and had nothing but good things to say about FDNY and their hospitality. It helps if you are a fireman yourself(guard lets down) and knock with elbows(if you know what I mean).

He even went to 54/4 and said those guys were awesome. Got to sit around the kitchen table and bull**** over a cup of coffee. Be sure to buy a shirt to help support their house. When visiting Squad 18, one of the guys there knew and worked with Andy Fredericks. He was happy to share with him the Andy he knew, pretty cool if you ask me to open up like that for a fellow fireman. The guys at 40/35 were also cool.

I agree with 10/10, just imagine people at all hours around the apron looking in or knocking on the doors. Sucks to not have a normal firehouse life. The guys at 10 House, represent to outsiders, the FDNY and really firefighters in general. Pay your respects at the WTC and the mural on side of 10 House and leave them be.

In general, firemen are very welcoming, just don't catch them at a bad time (which is usually the case).

They are also happy to make recommendations when visiting: food, bars(Suspenders or McSorleys..light or dark beer, 2 at a time, don't drink them too slow), etc.

My friend also visited Boston, and said the guys in Southie were freaking hilarious.

Forum Member

definitely visit 28/11. ask for the short angry guy.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    definitely visit 28/11. ask for the short angry guy.
    Could you be more specific please, you just described 1/3 of the department.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Agree with everything Buff said.

I only place I have buffed out at has been in NYC a couple of times. Really havn't had time anywhere else. I have not traveled much. Still new to this. 8 truck in Tri Becca was great. 270/131 Brooklyn BS'd with the guy on watch for a bit. Then had to get going. 303/126 in Queens Best of them all spend half the morning there talking with the crew engine ran a call, almost got to run with them, Truck then got tones for it. stayed with the LT on shift and talked with him a bunch and the crew that was relocated to cover. Best cup of coffee I have ever had.

Never been able to knock with my elbows. and I know better just never have the time usually something I have gotten in last min.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

I talk to everyone. I have "good front door game!" I don't mind buffs at all. I also dont mind pics and videos, I'm must be in thousands of pics too. I let them wear the coat a helmet, hold
    A tool....whatever. I get a kick out of it, especially guys and gals from other FDs in the world. I also give tours of the rigs.....it fun, especially for kids, they are always in awe of the rigs. I remember how I was treated when visiting my dad at his house back in the early 80s....so I carry that on.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB View Post
    I don't mind buffs at all. I also dont mind pics and videos, I'm must be in thousands of pics too.
    I've noticed that too. I've found pictures of myself online at both fires and on the street from tourists in DC. A little weird at first.

I don't mind it most of the time but like FWDbuff said, some need to work on their timing. After getting beat down all day, there's nothing worse than people knocking on the door during dinner.

Honestly the best guys I've had visit have been those from other large cities like FDNY, Chicago, etc. Maybe it's because they know what it's like. They are usually the ones to bring a treat and keep it casual. Those from the smaller departments seem to try to "impress" me by asking technical questions about the truck. haha

Forum Member

Heh heh heh.
    They expose the unsuspecting public to you?
    I just kind of thought that most of the public only knew about you through Mutual of Ohama.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB View Post
    I talk to everyone. I have "good front door game!" I don't mind buffs at all. I also dont mind pics and videos, I'm must be in thousands of pics too. I let them wear the coat a helmet, hold
    A tool....whatever. I get a kick out of it, especially guys and gals from other FDs in the world. I also give tours of the rigs.....it fun, especially for kids, they are always in awe of the rigs. I remember how I was treated when visiting my dad at his house back in the early 80s....so I carry that on.
    i heard you had a good front door game. i also heard the back door game was even better.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    i heard you had a good front door game. i also heard the back door game was even better.
    You never complained....now I know why you always want back-up....
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

out of towners only knock on our door when they are horribly lost and desperate to get out of the neighborhood.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    out of towners only knock on our door when they are horribly lost and desperate to get out of the neighborhood.
    True story.

Big city firefighters stopped at a very rural firehouse in the Adirondacks early one morning (we're talking 4-5 AM), looking for directions or local information, or something. Figured if they pushed the button on the front of the firehouse, they'd get the attention of the guys inside. Only there weren't any guys inside, and the big siren on the roof started howling.

They'd gotten people up, though. First to arrive was the chief, who suggested the visiting firefighters might want to vamoose before the other guys got there, slightly peeved because their "beauty sleep" had been interrupted...
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

I was thinking more along these lines...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwBoa-NbNL8

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    They expose the unsuspecting public to you?
    I just kind of thought that most of the public only knew about you through Mutual of Ohama.
    They lock me in a cage when visitors are around. I am figuring it out though, slowly. Gonna be a "Rise of the Planet of the Truck Apes" as soon as I figure out how to pick the damn lock! They'll be sorry then
    IAFF

Forum Member

They lock me in a cage when visitors are around. I am figuring it out though, slowly. Gonna be a "Rise of the Planet of the Truck Apes" as soon as I figure out how to pick the damn lock! They'll be sorry then
    And all along I thought you were the "Trunk Monkey"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYUx7-A8uA0

Thread Information