Like Tree30Likes

Thread: City of Los Angeles 2013

Forum Member

Received my letter today too. Emailed mine at 8am too. May 23rd... OC area

Forum Member

Received mine today, I'm in Ventura county

Forum Member

Hey thanks for the link Bubba! So glad to read another forum with other people also in the process!

Forum Member

Did everyone receive notifications of interviews in the mail?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brian2013 View Post
    Did everyone receive notifications of interviews in the mail?
    no email just snail mail..........

Forum Member

a little worried. A friend of mine lives in the same town and he got his letter. I submitted mine at exactly 8:00

Forum Member

Just heard from a guy I work with, he has his interview May 16th. Looks like thats the earliest one yet. Good luck to all.

Forum Member

Just got a rsvp confirmation this morning for the interview prep seminar tonight. Did any of you who went dress like you were going to an interview? The short notice makes it difficult to get home shave and dressed and drive up to LA by 6. Were LAFD staff there or just HR? Any info would be great.

Forum Member

I received an email saying that the city has received a sufficient amount. Of applicants to fill their hiring needs.I will not be scheduled for an interview at this time.

I sent in my CPAT about an hour after they accepted them.

Forum Member

I got the "not now" email, sent in my cpat once at 801 got confirmation at 835, fire and Emt experience.

Forum Member

When did you guys receive this email?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by joe_carlos59 View Post
    When did you guys receive this email?
    @ 715 today.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fasteddie11628 View Post
    @ 715 today.
    Oh, today! Wow...okay. That's unexpected. So strange...I guess they've got a system though. I suppose they just want to get through the first round...see how many they like...and then do another batch of interviews after based on how many m

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fasteddie11628 View Post
    @ 715 today.
    Oh, today! Wow...okay. That's unexpected. So strange...I guess they've got a system though. I suppose they just want to get through the first round...see how many they like...and then do another batch of interviews after based on how many more people they need at that point.

Just speculation of course...keep trucking though!

Forum Member

I received the same "not now" email and submitted mine at 8 am on the dot. What do you guys think, good or bad news??

Forum Member

I recevied the same "not now" email today as well. I submitted mine at 8am on the dot. What do you guys think, good or bad news??

Forum Member

Got mine finally. Good luck to everybody who has upcoming interviews.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by d_will View Post
    I recevied the same "not now" email today as well. I submitted mine at 8am on the dot. What do you guys think, good or bad news??
    Not necessarily bad news in my opinion. Look at it like you will have more than possibly a week to prepare for an interview that will make or break you. Their site is pretty clear that everyone will be processed, so I wouldn't worry too much. I haven't gotten an email or letter yet. Hoping I'll be seeing a letter in the mail tomorrow.

Forum Member

I also got the "not now" email, literally only a min or two before the start of the oral prep seminar they had at Hotchkin Tues night.

I'm trying to be positive, looking at it that I have a little more time to prepare.

They said approx 6500 passed the written, and even accounting for a percentage already having the CPAT submitted, they're obviously not gonna get everyone scheduled all at once. Plus with no drill tower since '09 and losing 10 guys a month to retirements and the like, they can't afford to NOT hire, so I imagine they'll start scheduling another batch Julyish (my own personal opinion, don't hold me to that! Lol)

Good luck to all who already have interview dates, and here's hoping the waiting doesn't drive the rest of us too crazy! Lol

Forum Member

I got my "not now" letter during the seminar too, bummer timing for sure. Recruiter said it was just a numbers thing and nothing to do with credentials. I submitted my CPAT at 8 didn't get my confirmation til 930. Think we are victims of the email overload. Got to let go of the things I can't control i guess, but definitely frustrating.

Forum Member

EQUAL OPPORTUNITY: Not the case with L.A. City Fire Department.
    It is a shame and very sad that L.A. City has stooped as low as they have for the 2013 recruitment. I had very high respect for the department until now. The requirments they asked for are all lies and it seems like the more you have under your belt, the less chance you have to get hired. Not to mention the color of my skin and the gender I was born with. I have worked so hard to get to where I am and the only department I looked up to and wanted to work for was L.A. City Fire Department, "the best department in the world". I was crushed when I got the e-mail stating I wasn't moving on the oral interview. After all the hoops they made me jump over, time I waisted, and money I spent. This was my 3rd time applying to L.A. City Fire and once again disappointed and stabbed in the back. I did my paramedic internship with L.A. City and had the greatest time of my life back in 2004. My first time I applied was 2007 where the hiring process was alot more equal and fair. Got all the way to backgrounds and passed. Due to a ticket on my record within 1 year, got a letter on my birthday stating the final panal dropped me and told me to re-apply. Strike one! Not a problem, re-applied and made it to backgrounds again. This time the budget dropped me and heard nothing for a year or so until I got a letter stating they are not hiring anymore due to budget problems. Strike two! Once again, not a problem and understandable. In the mean time I was keeping up my $150.00 CPAT and when they said to jump, I dropped everything and said how high. I took countless days off for tests, meetings with my background investigator, etc. Also, I was living in Orange County at the time so was driving an hour each time. Finally, 2012 comes and heard L.A. City was opening up again with a huge hiring spree. I was so excited and couldn't wait to get started. I thought, "third times a charm". I signed up and went to the first recruitment meeting they had. When I got to the meeting I sat down with about 200 others. In front of me was a big poster board that only had females and races not of mine. I don't understand why there wasn't one caucasian male on that poster board. It seemed like the only thing the recruiter talked about was how low their female, Hispanic, and African American ratio was. There after, I noticed how all the meetings were geared towards all different races, except caucasians. They had meetings for females, African Americans, Pacific Islander, Hispanic, etc. It seemed like the only meeting I could go to was the "General Meeting". Once again, I thought why didn't they have something geared towards my own race and gender. Time went on and finally the application opened up. I had two days to get my app in, but I was I sitting at my computer at 0730 with all my info pre-entered ready to press enter when it opened at 0800 because I was so eager to get the process started again. Some time went by and finally the letters came out for the written exam time and date. What a crazy mess that was. Thousands of people all lined up being hearded in like cattle. That was only one time on one day too. I heard about 12,000 apps and about 7000-8000 test takers. I didn't let it get to me though because I had high hopes and new I have worked harder than the next person. Not only that, but this being the third time I applied I thought maybe my ambition would show them how badly I wanted it. I got through the test pretty quickly and was one of the first ones to finish. I felt good about the test. I knew I needed my CPAT again, so I went and paid another $150.00 and passed. L.A. City had everyone who passed send in a current CPAT via email, fax, or hand deliver at 0800 April 22nd. Once again, I had it all ready to go around 0730 and the only thing I had to do was press enter. I decided to send it via email because I figured it was timestamped and the fax would be busy if everyone was sending it the same time. I wanted to get mine in right away because the letter said first come first serve, "PROOF OF CPAT WILL BE PROCESSED IN THE ORDER THAT IT IS RECEIVED. YOU MAY SUBMIT YOUR CPAT PROOF BEGINNING MONDAY, APRIL 22, 2013, AT 8:00 A.M., PACIFIC STANDARD TIME. CPATS RECEIVED BEFORE THIS TIME WILL NOT BE PROCESSED; EXPIRED CPATS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED; AND ILLEGIBLE CPATS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED". I sent mine in at 0800, but didn't get a confirmation back the first time. I heard everyone was getting a confirmation, so I re-sent it at 0812 and a minute later got a confirmation. My wife and I starting preparing for the oral immediately. I was practicing every night with her when my son and daughter went to bed. I couldn't wait for the next step for my dream to come true with my dream department. Once again, Happy Birthday or not! On Monday, May 6th I hear that people are starting to get oral interview letters for May and June. I raced home to check, but nothing. The next day seemed like a life time. I was waiting for the work day to end so I could race home to check my mail. As I was leaving work, I got the email notice. It said, "In determining the number of candidates that will be scheduled for each interview session, consideration is given to the hiring needs of the Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD), and available City resources, including sufficient City funding to support Firefighter hiring. Unfortunately, you will not be scheduled for a Firefighter interview at this time. For those who have submitted proof of passing the CPAT, the Personnel Department has processed sufficient candidates to meet the current LAFD hiring needs. If you have not submitted your proof of CPAT, you may continue to do so and we will process it in the order it is received". Basically, thanks, but no thanks! Ouch, stab in the heart! Strike three! I pretty much cried like a little baby. Everything I worked so hard for seemed at a lost. How could they do this, I thought. I was happy for my co-workers and friends, but at the same time I know I have more experience, education, and life experience than they do. Guys with a few months EMT experience are getting letters. Why isn't everyone getting a chance to interview? How did they come up with who was going to interview? How is that legal? Obviously, it is not right what they did. What happened to equal opportunity? Don't they want to hire the most qualifed recruit? Guess not! A recruit who has a few months EMT and 20 years old vs. someone who has 8 years as a paramedic with an additional 7 years as a EMT prior to being a medic, leadership/management experience, teaching experience, fire academy, reserve experience, fire degree, family/home stabilization, good credit, no background problems, and much more. It's funny how the qualfications stated "paramedic highly desired". If anyone out there agrees with me or knows of any legal ramifications, please contact me at mark22r@hotmail.com. Thank you. Mark Reines

Forum Member

Dude, did you not read the part where it said EVERYONE will be processed from this list? You're just not in the first round of interviews. I am a Hispanic veteran paramedic male who turned in my CPAT 0800. I got the same "not now" e-mail. RELAX.

Quote Originally Posted by mark22r View Post
    EQUAL OPPORTUNITY: Not the case with L.A. City Fire Department.
    It is a shame and very sad that L.A. City has stooped as low as they have for the 2013 recruitment. I had very high respect for the department until now. The requirments they asked for are all lies and it seems like the more you have under your belt, the less chance you have to get hired. Not to mention the color of my skin and the gender I was born with. I have worked so hard to get to where I am and the only department I looked up to and wanted to work for was L.A. City Fire Department, "the best department in the world". I was crushed when I got the e-mail stating I wasn't moving on the oral interview. After all the hoops they made me jump over, time I waisted, and money I spent. This was my 3rd time applying to L.A. City Fire and once again disappointed and stabbed in the back. I did my paramedic internship with L.A. City and had the greatest time of my life back in 2004. My first time I applied was 2007 where the hiring process was alot more equal and fair. Got all the way to backgrounds and passed. Due to a ticket on my record within 1 year, got a letter on my birthday stating the final panal dropped me and told me to re-apply. Strike one! Not a problem, re-applied and made it to backgrounds again. This time the budget dropped me and heard nothing for a year or so until I got a letter stating they are not hiring anymore due to budget problems. Strike two! Once again, not a problem and understandable. In the mean time I was keeping up my $150.00 CPAT and when they said to jump, I dropped everything and said how high. I took countless days off for tests, meetings with my background investigator, etc. Also, I was living in Orange County at the time so was driving an hour each time. Finally, 2012 comes and heard L.A. City was opening up again with a huge hiring spree. I was so excited and couldn't wait to get started. I thought, "third times a charm". I signed up and went to the first recruitment meeting they had. When I got to the meeting I sat down with about 200 others. In front of me was a big poster board that only had females and races not of mine. I don't understand why there wasn't one caucasian male on that poster board. It seemed like the only thing the recruiter talked about was how low their female, Hispanic, and African American ratio was. There after, I noticed how all the meetings were geared towards all different races, except caucasians. They had meetings for females, African Americans, Pacific Islander, Hispanic, etc. It seemed like the only meeting I could go to was the "General Meeting". Once again, I thought why didn't they have something geared towards my own race and gender. Time went on and finally the application opened up. I had two days to get my app in, but I was I sitting at my computer at 0730 with all my info pre-entered ready to press enter when it opened at 0800 because I was so eager to get the process started again. Some time went by and finally the letters came out for the written exam time and date. What a crazy mess that was. Thousands of people all lined up being hearded in like cattle. That was only one time on one day too. I heard about 12,000 apps and about 7000-8000 test takers. I didn't let it get to me though because I had high hopes and new I have worked harder than the next person. Not only that, but this being the third time I applied I thought maybe my ambition would show them how badly I wanted it. I got through the test pretty quickly and was one of the first ones to finish. I felt good about the test. I knew I needed my CPAT again, so I went and paid another $150.00 and passed. L.A. City had everyone who passed send in a current CPAT via email, fax, or hand deliver at 0800 April 22nd. Once again, I had it all ready to go around 0730 and the only thing I had to do was press enter. I decided to send it via email because I figured it was timestamped and the fax would be busy if everyone was sending it the same time. I wanted to get mine in right away because the letter said first come first serve, "PROOF OF CPAT WILL BE PROCESSED IN THE ORDER THAT IT IS RECEIVED. YOU MAY SUBMIT YOUR CPAT PROOF BEGINNING MONDAY, APRIL 22, 2013, AT 8:00 A.M., PACIFIC STANDARD TIME. CPATS RECEIVED BEFORE THIS TIME WILL NOT BE PROCESSED; EXPIRED CPATS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED; AND ILLEGIBLE CPATS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED". I sent mine in at 0800, but didn't get a confirmation back the first time. I heard everyone was getting a confirmation, so I re-sent it at 0812 and a minute later got a confirmation. My wife and I starting preparing for the oral immediately. I was practicing every night with her when my son and daughter went to bed. I couldn't wait for the next step for my dream to come true with my dream department. Once again, Happy Birthday or not! On Monday, May 6th I hear that people are starting to get oral interview letters for May and June. I raced home to check, but nothing. The next day seemed like a life time. I was waiting for the work day to end so I could race home to check my mail. As I was leaving work, I got the email notice. It said, "In determining the number of candidates that will be scheduled for each interview session, consideration is given to the hiring needs of the Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD), and available City resources, including sufficient City funding to support Firefighter hiring. Unfortunately, you will not be scheduled for a Firefighter interview at this time. For those who have submitted proof of passing the CPAT, the Personnel Department has processed sufficient candidates to meet the current LAFD hiring needs. If you have not submitted your proof of CPAT, you may continue to do so and we will process it in the order it is received". Basically, thanks, but no thanks! Ouch, stab in the heart! Strike three! I pretty much cried like a little baby. Everything I worked so hard for seemed at a lost. How could they do this, I thought. I was happy for my co-workers and friends, but at the same time I know I have more experience, education, and life experience than they do. Guys with a few months EMT experience are getting letters. Why isn't everyone getting a chance to interview? How did they come up with who was going to interview? How is that legal? Obviously, it is not right what they did. What happened to equal opportunity? Don't they want to hire the most qualifed recruit? Guess not! A recruit who has a few months EMT and 20 years old vs. someone who has 8 years as a paramedic with an additional 7 years as a EMT prior to being a medic, leadership/management experience, teaching experience, fire academy, reserve experience, fire degree, family/home stabilization, good credit, no background problems, and much more. It's funny how the qualfications stated "paramedic highly desired". If anyone out there agrees with me or knows of any legal ramifications, please contact me at mark22r@hotmail.com. Thank you. Mark Reines
    Last edited by bestcoast858; 05-08-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Forum Member

Anybody else not recieved an email OR letter yet? I feel in limbo... I heard there was another email circulating saying to check your mailboxes...but I didn't get that one either...

Forum Member

I wouldn't bank on getting an interview b/c it says "everyone will be processed". Technically we've been processed? I'm pessimistic though and i've seen large departments do this before. Interviews take time and money to run. If they get some good candidates and some kids of current employees then they'll fill their towers. I'm not saying there won't be another round of interviews, but I'm not holding my breath.

Mark22r has a point though. With low requirments to apply, it burries those of us with the credntials and time on the job in the stack with someone with a First Responder card just out of HS. No offense, but it is frustrating.
    My 2c

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by joe_carlos59 View Post
    Anybody else not recieved an email OR letter yet? I feel in limbo... I heard there was another email circulating saying to check your mailboxes...but I didn't get that one either...
    Nothing here, but I haven't seen the mail yet.

Thread Information