Like Tree30Likes

Thread: City of Los Angeles 2013

Forum Member

I understand that with low requirements to apply it makes the applicant pool HUGE. But, I know people that have every license and fire related certificate in the book and are horrible candidates. I would never want to work along side those individuals and have my life depend on them. Just the opposite, I have several coworkers and friends that have hardly any extra credentials that would be a huge asset to the department and citizens of Los Angeles.

I don't take offense to it being frustrating, lol. Life is frustrating! People get hired that are under qualified on paper everyday. It's life unfortunately. I was one of those applicants that got cut in the middle of my process last go around because of the financial problems going on. I understand heart ache and being so close. Keep on keeping on.

Quote Originally Posted by CDNash View Post
    I wouldn't bank on getting an interview b/c it says "everyone will be processed". Technically we've been processed? I'm pessimistic though and i've seen large departments do this before. Interviews take time and money to run. If they get some good candidates and some kids of current employees then they'll fill their towers. I'm not saying there won't be another round of interviews, but I'm not holding my breath.

Mark22r has a point though. With low requirments to apply, it burries those of us with the credntials and time on the job in the stack with someone with a First Responder card just out of HS. No offense, but it is frustrating.
    My 2c

Forum Member

I think some people need to quit crying. I started getting involved with fire training when I was 18 years old. I am currently 42 years old and I still have not been hired. I have been trying for 24 years off and on and dealing with life struggles and dis-appointments along the way. Trust me life is no where near fair and everybody has to go through the struggles of life. This career will never be handed on a silver-platter to anybody. I went through the same issues back in 2009 with LA and got a big let down because of the budget cuts. I have all the certs possibly you can get for an entry level career and I am still keeping my head high and still am able to look to the next day. Sometimes its all about preperation,timing, and hardwork, and keeping the ship moving. Trust me there is no such work as "LUCK". Nobody ever gets lucky with anything. I don't believe in luck. Its all hardwork, and preparing for your lifetime career. I have had so many let downs in my life and never thought things would ever get better, but they do. So good luck and keep your head high and proud. Negativity or being upset and posting it to the world is never going to get anybody anywhere.
    J0hnnyb0y and kvucinic like this.

Forum Member

A lot of confusion about the short notice for the oral board interviews. Hell-O. As our son Captain Rob says, "You knew when you turned in the applicaiton there was an interview in your future. The future just showed up.

If you know that 100% of your score to get hired for most departments is in the oral board you have to be ready for game day early to stay on top of your scoring not to waste an opportunity when it magically appears.

From a previous LA City Candidate:

Capt Bob, I just finished taking the oral interview with LA City and wanted to write a quick note.

As you have said before oral board is the most important step in the process and the step that is least prepared for. Well I can support your statement. As I watched the recording of my score (reading upside down) I noticed 60's and 70's on the scores of those that interviewed before me. I would assume there were about 25 names on the sheet prior to mine. I was handed a background packet when I left the room. Thanks again for your help Rich
    Last edited by CaptBob; 05-08-2013 at 08:52 PM.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

I'd say just relax, the recruiter at the seminar said approx 6500 people passed the written test. Even if only a fraction turned in the CPAT already, there's still probably at least a thousand or so that did. They simply cannot schedule that many people at once for an interview all at once. Especially since from what I've heard, they've only scheduled interviews as far out as The next 5-6 weeks.

I honestly doubt personnel believes they'll meet they're hiring needs with just the hundred or so that have been scheduled. They may only get a dozen or so people in this group to reach the requisite 95, so just take a deep breath and relax.

I understand how incredibly frustrating it must be to keep applying time and time again just to get the "not at this time" letter. The important thing to remember is that it just means you haven't been scheduled YET. It doesn't mean you won't be scheduled. So just be patient.

I understand the need to vent (this reply is just that, me venting my nerves in my own way- not intended to call anyone out). But personally I'd be a little careful doing so. It would really really suck if someone makes it to the background and they check these forums and it negatively colors their view of you (I might be being a little too paranoid about that so take it as you will!)

Forum Member

If anyone is getting THIS discouraged, THIS early in the process..... Maybe the fire service isn't for you.

In the mean time, keep calm, do what you can to better yourself, and wait your turn like everyone else. "You're not the only one"

Ya , it's tough. But the job is worth it.
    skitahoe likes this.

Forum Member

Went to the seminar today. Here is some of the info I got.

RUMORED 900 people got interviews-this was just from some of the other guys there. Not from the LAFD staff.

-Interviews will last 20 or so minutes and will be timed. Interview will be based on what you have done, not what you would do in a specific scenario.

-DIVERSITY, DIVERSITY, DIVERSITY.

-Know the general demographics, operations, and history of the department. (What is an 800 ambulance? Define a Light Force)

-You need a 95-100 to move on. You will know if you got that before you walk out the door. Instead of background packets, you might be given a card to log on to a webpage and fill in you background packet online)

-Resumes WILL possibly be accepted if you have them. They were unsure of this, but they said they would being them just in case. Bring 3 or more.

-Parking apparently sucks there. They suggested to have someone drive you so you do not have to find parking.

*To all that didn't get interviews. There are going to be up to 10 academies off of this test! At 70 a class, those are good odds! But, like everything in government, that's all up to the funding.
    Last edited by TeeJayB; 05-11-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TeeJayB View Post
    RUMORED 900 people got interviews-this was just from some of the other guys there. Not from the LAFD staff.
    900? A lot more than I'd have guessed myself, but even if that numbers accurate, I have to wonder how many of those only get 60-70s on their interview, versus how many actually get the 95-105 (veterans credit) needed to move on to the backgrounds (and then of course how many of those actually pass the background).

In addition the rumors I've heard (on e again rumor, not official, though hopefully will be) is that they're not just going to hire one or two classes but start continuous hiring like they did before the '09 freeze. Anyone able to she'd any light on this?

Forum Member

I got an interview...

Forum Member

How's everyone prepping for the interview? How's it going?

Anyone do a station visit and if so how did that go?

Forum Member

Thought I'd post since no one has in a while. Did my interview and passed! Backgrounds June 13th. Very straight forward interview. Just like the orientation said, stories get you the job!

Forum Member

Yes, Stories Get Badges!

I was having lunch the other day at Chipotle’s I noticed a group wearing T-shirts from the near by American Health Education where they were going through the EMT program. All wanted to be firefighters. After I introduced myself I asked a few of the candidates why they wanted to be firefighters? I heard public service, helping people, giving back, not the same thing every day, blah blah blah. They were surprised that what they thought was unique answer was just a “clone” answer of everyone else in the group.

If you used these “clone answers in your oral board the magic that you needed to hook up with the oral board has passed and you didn’t hook them into listening to your stuff. You have just scored yourself. Trust me. You can see the glaze come over the raters’ eyes. It’s like a deer caught in the headlights. They are gone and they won’t come back.

It’s not that you can’t use clone answers. You can. But first you need to deliver a signature story about you. Not a clone answer of anyone else. I haven’t met a candidate yet that couldn’t come up with signature stories. Here’s how:

Don Hewitt, one of the pioneers of television news and the creator of CBS's "60 Minutes" said, “The key to my success is four words that every child in the world knows. Tell me a story. Learn how to tell a story and you will be a success.” It's the same with getting a firefighter badge!
    We encourage candidates to lace their answers with personal life experiences. Since no one else can tell a candidate’s life experience stories they can’t be placed in the mold of a profile. They become unique, fresh and convincing. Not a profile robot “clone” of everyone else.

If you have all the education, experience and the burning desire to get that badge, you’re not getting hired, having to cool your heels in another position waiting for that next opportunity (not a bad ideal), you have be asking yourself why?

Why some candidates getting hired and others are wasting opportunities? Those getting hired simply got positive results by putting simple techniques into action. The big difference is they figured out how to maximize the points in their oral boards, are now riding big red and taking home a pay check.

Here’s how they did it. Since oral board scores for many departments (not LA City )are calculated in hundredths of points (82.15, 87.63, 90.87, etc), the goal is to keep building on a few hundredths of points here on this question, a few hundredths there on that answer, gaining a few more hundredths with their signature personalized life experience stories at the appropriate time, delivering the all powerful “Nugget” answers that no one else can tell, and pulling away from the parrot salvo dropping clones.

Before the clone candidates realize what has happened, these candidates have added on extra points to their score placing them in a position to be invited to the chief’s interview where they get a real shot at the badge. Just being 1 to 2 points out of the running can decide whether you will go forward in the hiring process or not.

The toughest thing for candidates to do in an oral is to be themselves on purpose. Your stories establish a natural bridge between you and the panel. When you're yourself, you become conversational because you are on your own turf. This alone can lower the stress and the butterflies. Every one has butterflies. The trick is to get all the butterflies to all fly in the same formation than can make the difference.

Stories are more than facts. If you can recreate the excitement, emotion, the color and magic to relive the actual event, you will capture the interest and a top score on that question. A big part of getting this job is convincing the oral board that you can do the job before you get it. Stories are convincing and can demonstrate your experience, even if they’re not fire related.

One reason stories work effectively is because they go directly to the brain and entertain. They do not require the mental processing of more formal nonfiction writing. Stories have heart and ring true.
    Collect illustrative stories as you are collecting facts, quotations and other information for your signature stories.

Practice those stories with a hand held voice recorder. Condense them down to a couple of minutes or less. Don’t go on a journey. The oral board is not packed for the trip. You won’t have time and it’s not appropriate to use a signature story for every answer. Tell the story. Make the point. Move on. Once you answer an oral board with a signature story, you can marry the rest of your answer with those clone answers you have been using. Try it and see the amazing difference.

“Put it before them briefly so they will read it, clearly so they will appreciate it, picturesquely so they will remember it and, above all, accurately so they will be guided by its light.”—Joseph Pulitzer, (1847-1911) American journalist.

I was talking to a candidate one day who was giving me those clone answers why he wanted to be a firefighter. I stopped him and had him rewind the videotape of his life to where he first got the spark to be a firefighter. He said, “Oh, I’m from South America. When I was growing up, we lived with my grandfather who was the fire chief of the city. I got to go with him and be exposed to the whole department.”
    I asked if he had ever told that story in any of his oral board interviews? He said, “No”. Why not? I will bet you big money you are a clone candidate right now. But, I bet you also have some personal signature stories that could instantly change your interview scores.

Some say, how can you prepare for your orals without turning into a clone?” Good question. Simple answer. The real reason is nobody else can tell your story! Nobody! So the point here is not the question, but the answer. Start establishing your personalized stories. When you start lacing your answers with your personalized experiences is where you start to shorten that gap between you and that infamous badge.

“You can’t control the wind, but you can adjust your sails.”

The proof is in the badges!

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Congrats to those that passed and have their backgrounds scheduled. I'm really jealous, and cannot wait to get my turn in front of the panel!

On that note, has anyone heard anything about when the next batch of interviews might be? I know they are scheduled trhough June currently. I'm hoping they send out letters in June with July dates...just wishful thinking though...

anyone have any actual info?

Forum Member

Nothing other than rumor, but the last rumor I heard was September. I can in no way confirm the validity of that, so take it how you will.

Forum Member

Has anyone else here interviewed? Im just wondering how many are making it through?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ramrod63 View Post
    Has anyone else here interviewed? Im just wondering how many are making it through?
    I had an interview 10 days ago and walked out thinking I did so well and got a white card to goto personnel office and she said thank you and I would get a letter in the mail. Now the person that went into another interview board at the same time got background papers on their way out. So who knows the reasons. Had more to bring to the table than last time but who knows what it was. Have not got the letter in the mail yet but we will see what the letters says.

Good Luck

Forum Member

Interviewed a couple weeks ago. got a card brought it to personnel. got a paper explaining how to download my background packet. moving on.

Forum Member

Congrats to everyone who got their background packets! Can't wait for my chance in front of the board

Forum Member

So I got my final interview letter in the mail today and got a 90 percent. So if you got a 90 which is excellent why wouldn't they just give you a 95 and move you forward. O well that is what cities and counties can get away with. This is the kicker of all kickers it says you can't review any of the interviewers comments or notes. So at the end of the day you have no way of what you can do better next time. Trust me at the end of the day I could of not done any better especially getting a 90 percent. Basically they said we will give you a great score but since we are not going to give you another 5 percent or 5 points which is nothing that you are not moving forward. Crazy

It would of been better just to give me a 70 percent instead of a 90 and teasing me. So who knows what is going to happen. I guess I will stay on the list for a year and then go back and take the CPAT again and interview again. So that will be 3 interviews in 5 years with The City of Los Angeles.

Only if I had military credit or some kind of credit I would be in the door. I think I should be some credit for being a local citizen all of my life and pay taxes to the city all of my working life. I think its only fair.

Hey guys!
    I was looking at the LAFD Applicant thread from 2008/2009 and they were so much more vocal than we are! I think these days people are afraid to talk about the process using social media, but a lot of guys/gals who were discussing the process in 2008 got hired. That should prove the point that if you are respectful and stay on topic, you don't have anything to fear. That being said, how goes filling out the background packet?

Forum Member

Well, this thread pretty much died....

Forum Member

No it's still alive I think people just want to keep to themselves.

Forum Member

totally agree with ya. wondering if anyone else has gotten anything from LA. any new news?? waiting game i guess.

Forum Member

still waiting, a guy in my paramedic program passed his interview with a 96% and is currently in backgorunds
    fire2013 likes this.

Forum Member

I got background papers after my interview. No mail regarding my interview score as of yet.
    fire2013 likes this.

Forum Member

thanks for the reply back (brian and Fireman). hope the list is good for at least 3 years. according to the join LAFD facebook page, the last thing they posted was "At LAFD, we need our firefighters to be up to date on all their certifications, in the best physical condition possible, and to keep a positive mind-set. What are you doing to make sure you stay LAFD ready" in reply to this, im wondering if the applicants they are looking at are not meeting min standards. Is it actually a lottery process or first come first serve? best wishes to those who pass.

Thread Information