Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 61314151617181926 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: City of Los Angeles 2013

Forum Member

An update from joinlafd.org :
    "Of those 6,500 candidates who passed [the written test], nearly 40% of these candidates have still not turned in their CPATís."

So lets see here, 40% of 6500 is 2,600 people who haven't turned in a CPAT left, so that means I'm only competing with roughly *only* 3,900 for the next interview slot lol

Ok ok I know that interviews are given on a first come first served in order of who turned in a CPAT first so it's not really a competition waiting on an interview, but still, it is slightly heartening to realize that the number of competitors for the same number of jobs has fallen dramatically from those that applied.

Granted I didn't get my CPAT in until like 12:30ish they day they started accepting so I probably won't be in the second, maybe not even the third round of interviews (ugh), but I keep thinking of the number of people that must've gotten the first interviews, when you factor in how many fail the interview, how many will fail the backgrounds and even how many will get in but not graduate the academy, it's actually kind of a morale boost that even though I'm further down the numbers game, those numbers will get cycled through more quickly than I might otherwise expect, and I'll get my chance to interview and run the gauntlet myself faster than I might otherwise think!

(Sorry to those who might read the above as a downer, but if you're like me, staying confident, keeping our noses clean and staying in shape for the academy, those failures will be those others who failed to prepare, not us

Forum Member

That's scary. Does anyone know if there is a number I can call to confirm my CPAT was received? I tried calling the city a couple of months ago for this reason but the woman I spoke to was extremely rude and basically hung up on me.

Forum Member

I called the background investigation division today to follow up on my mid-July orientation, and they said that my background investigator will be assigned within a few weeks. That's about as much information as I can gather.

Forum Member

A good friend of mine, who attended the mid-July background orientation, had a BI assigned shortly after the orientation. He had the 1 on 1 interview with the BI in late July/early Aug, his references have been called, his family and his neighbors have been contacted, and as of a couple days ago, is still waiting to hear if he's, "moving on to the med/psych or gets a non-select letter." Hope this helps some.

Forum Member

Got a call from my BI this morning, and we're meeting next week!

Forum Member

Met with my BI last week. He said that they're trying to get the first round of backgrounds done by mid-October so that they can make their decisions for their January and June academies. There are 300 guys running through backgrounds now, and about half will be hired.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireman1302 View Post
    Met with my BI last week. He said that they're trying to get the first round of backgrounds done by mid-October so that they can make their decisions for their January and June academies. There are 300 guys running through backgrounds now, and about half will be hired.
    So is your BI hoping to have your stuff done by the mid october deadline?

Forum Member

From what he said, it seemed like they have 300 people that they are doing background investigations on currently. There will be a panel that will go through the files of all of those individuals and select the candidates for the academy. He said that my file will be in that selection process, so I'm assuming my background will be complete by then.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireman1302 View Post
    From what he said, it seemed like they have 300 people that they are doing background investigations on currently. There will be a panel that will go through the files of all of those individuals and select the candidates for the academy. He said that my file will be in that selection process, so I'm assuming my background will be complete by then.
    Awesome.
    Best of luck.
    And keep us posted.

Forum Member

Will do! He visited my neighbors and employers this week. He's moving pretty fast. Getting excited.

Forum Member

So how long after all the backgrounds are turned in mid October will they decide on who's going to January and June academies?

And how long after that desicion, how long until they start scheduling the second round of interviews? This winter before the academies? Next spring in between? Or wait until after the June academy?

Forum Member

I received a letter on Friday of last week saying that I had passed the initial panel review for my background investigation and will be moving on to final selection once my packet is finalized. Two of my other friends also received that letter and we all met with our investigators in the beginning of August to give you guys an idea of the time frame.

Forum Member

I got the same letter! Best of luck, my friend!

Forum Member

Same letter.
    Can't wait it hear!
    What are your guys qualifications?

Forum Member

is that the letter advising that we should get our medical records just in case?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by upallday View Post
    Same letter.
    Can't wait it hear!
    What are your guys qualifications?
    Fire academy, college degree, 1.5 years EMT, Fire Tech classes.

Forum Member

Bachelors, paramedic with box experience, bilingual, 2 other associates related to fire, fire department experience as AO

Forum Member

Buddy got the same "initial panel" letter - but he went through his field investigation a couple months ago (family, friends, neighbors, jobs, etc were all contacted). Looks like they might be catching up on paperwork. Now he's just waiting for "the" letter... either a tentative job offer (to move on to medical/psych test) or a non-select letter... from what it sounds like. From what fireman1302 said above, sounds like a 50/50 shot for those who made it this far.

Good luck everyone.

Forum Member

Sounds like they have a lot of very qualified people.
    I have fire tech classes, academy, a year on a 911 ambulance, 2 years as a full time firefighter for a large department.
    Hoping no bachelors isn't going to hold me back.

Forum Member

Default Passed backgrounds

Backgrounds finished, got the letter in the mail a few weeks ago! Hoping I'm in the January tower

Thread Information