Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 71415161718192027 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: City of Los Angeles 2013

Forum Member

U got a letter for a final panel? Or the initial panel one?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by j.mack View Post
    Backgrounds finished, got the letter in the mail a few weeks ago! Hoping I'm in the January tower
    Can you clarify which letter you actually got?
    Everyone I have heard about had gotten non-select, contact you in the future or a letter stating a final panel review will be done once backgrounds are completed.
    Assuming you got the same letter as everyone else....?

Forum Member

Default Letter

The letter I received said that my background investigation was complete and I've been considered for further review by a panel, and "could" be considered for a job offer pending a medical exam and psychological evaluation. Hope that helps

Forum Member

Yeah, I've heard a lot of my buddies get non select letters..... Bummer for them

Forum Member

My background is complete, and I received the same letter. Here's hoping that the process moves quicker from here to the end!

Forum Member

When did you guys receive the letter?

Forum Member

To those of you guys saying that your BG is complete....
    Can you post exactly what that letter says? I've only seen people on this site saying it. I haven't heard of another person getting it....

Are you sure your letter doesn't say "Once background is completed...." Is it the same letter that tells you that it might be a good idea to start gathering medical information?

Can someone please clear this up for me?

Forum Member

From what I understand, this is the situation to date:

The ONLY letters that have been sent out to candidates thus far are the letters informing select individuals that they have passed the INITIAL PANEL REVIEW and were SELECTED FOR FURTHER PROCESSING.

Those who have passed the INITIAL panel review have already undergone the field investigation... or they will in the future. The field investigation is when the background division contacts your family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, and meets/talks with the prospective candidate to ask detailed questions regarding his/her answers on the INITAL background questionnaire.

The timing of the receipt of the INITIAL PANEL REVIEW letters were somewhat confusing for some as many who received them already knew by default that they had moved on (as they already underwent the field investigation.) Some candidates mistook the INITIAL PANEL REVIEW letters as something more because of this.

The next step, according to the joinlafd.org website, is the notification of select candidates (who have finished the field investigation) that they either have a tentative job offer (pending medical/psych) or are not selected, thusly ending their job application process. No one has received a letter for either scenario yet.

Forum Member

I got the letter the JL503 described. I know that my BG is done because my BI told me when he would submit it. So selection or non-selection yet. Does anyone know whether or not the select letters will specify a time line, or will the academy assignment come after the medical/psych?

Forum Member

That's the same letter I got, my background was submitted close to over 2 weeks ago. Nobody will find out anything until at least end of October to November is what my BI told me

Forum Member

That's the same letter I got, just stating that you had passed the initial panel and once everything was completed your packet would be submitted for final selection. I talked to my investigator last week and he was writing my summary and finalizing everything for submission. When I first met with him he told me they were under pressure to get all of them done by mid October because the final panel wasn't going to look at packets until all were completed. Whether or not that's still true, who knows but either way it's a good sign for all of us.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OnAMission23 View Post
    That's the same letter I got, just stating that you had passed the initial panel and once everything was completed your packet would be submitted for final selection. I talked to my investigator last week and he was writing my summary and finalizing everything for submission. When I first met with him he told me they were under pressure to get all of them done by mid October because the final panel wasn't going to look at packets until all were completed. Whether or not that's still true, who knows but either way it's a good sign for all of us.
    Thats the same feeling I got because my investigator told me he would for sure be done in 4 weeks

Forum Member

Big thing to happen to LAFD hiring! Must Read!

http://www.11thdistrict.com/bonin_wa..._hiring_crisis

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brian2013 View Post
    Big thing to happen to LAFD hiring! Must Read!

http://www.11thdistrict.com/bonin_wa..._hiring_crisis
    Everyone would love to go along with this plan.... Hire a lot of FFs and hire em quick! Get staffing back to normal. Everyone is happy......
    The problem is the money necessary to do that. unfortunately this proposal doesn't address finances at all....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by upallday View Post
    Everyone would love to go along with this plan.... Hire a lot of FFs and hire em quick! Get staffing back to normal. Everyone is happy......
    The problem is the money necessary to do that. unfortunately this proposal doesn't address finances at all....
    The proposal doesn't address finances, but they've already implemented a plan that will hire 140 firefighters within the next 8 months, and a solid pool of candidates to hire for the remaining spots. They're pushing two academies in January and June 2013 from those that are in backgrounds now.

Forum Member

hopefully this means they are going to interview everyone on the list, not just 900.
    Last edited by brian2013; 10-18-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Forum Member

Calls are apparently being made with conditionals starting this morning.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TeeJayB View Post
    Calls are apparently being made with conditionals starting this morning.
    the final panel is still under way, letters go out inviting people to medical/psych exam, none of which have been scheduled. The process is currently behind schedule.
    Last edited by JBurk50; 10-19-2013 at 11:21 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBurk50 View Post
    That is not correct. First off, the final panel is still under way, second calls do not go out for conditionals letters go out inviting people to medical/psych exam, none of which have been scheduled. The process is currently behind schedule.
    Not to throw a wrench in that but people are getting called, a buddy just got his medical/psych scheduled for the 30th

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBurk50 View Post
    That is not correct. First off, the final panel is still under way, second calls do not go out for conditionals letters go out inviting people to medical/psych exam, none of which have been scheduled. The process is currently behind schedule.
    Are you on the panel? Or the planning board? I assume not. Are you just basing your knowledge or past hiring dates? How would you know that they are "behind" schedule? Pretty bold statements to just say I am completely wrong. I have one source who I trust very much that stated he got a call from personnel today to schedule his med and psych for next week. He is not one to lie, or gain any benefit in saying he got a call when he in fact didn't. I'm sure we will hear more people getting calls soon as they ramp up for this next academy.

Unless you have Chief, Mayor, or Commissioner in front of your name. You do not know what is happening with this process until stuff happens. And stuff is happening this morning....

Thread Information