Like Tree30Likes

Thread: City of Los Angeles 2013

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    If there was misconduct your beef is with those bureaucrats and not the mayor. He's not elected to look the other way when a department head screws up.
    I'm not saying the mayor should look the other way. I just don't think the situation is compromised enough to completely scrap such an expensive process. Utilize the people they've processed, weed out individuals that can be linked to the nepotism allegations, and do so while reforming the system. NOT hiring the 70 individuals set for the June academy puts the people of LA at risk due to underperforming Firefighters, undermines the wellbeing of the overworked fire staff, and burdens taxpayers with overtime expense. The vast majority of the individuals who got their CPATs in before the 950 spots were filled in a minute were not given any advantage, and those that were are likely already in the first academy that hasn't been penalized.

Forum Member

Hey everyone, I just found out that LAFD has a sub page on a website called Reddit, and their account seems to be relatively active. I started a topic there to ask their personnel questions, and I think they'll respond if we get a bit of activity over there. Here's the link: http://www.reddit.com/r/LAFD/comment...in_the_mayors/
    Last edited by fireman1302; 03-25-2014 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Fixed website

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireman1302 View Post
    I'm not saying the mayor should look the other way. I just don't think the situation is compromised enough to completely scrap such an expensive process. Utilize the people they've processed, weed out individuals that can be linked to the nepotism allegations, and do so while reforming the system. NOT hiring the 70 individuals set for the June academy puts the people of LA at risk due to underperforming Firefighters, undermines the wellbeing of the overworked fire staff, and burdens taxpayers with overtime expense. The vast majority of the individuals who got their CPATs in before the 950 spots were filled in a minute were not given any advantage, and those that were are likely already in the first academy that hasn't been penalized.
    The purpose of the Civil Service system is to ensure a level playing field exists for all candidates. Unless you can show that all candidates were aware of the 60 second cutoff and had access to a computer at the exact time required then one cannot assume that a level playing field existed. Qualified applicants should be evaluated according to their qualifications and then ranked and hired accordingly. NOT according to how quickly they push the "send" button.

I'm sure it does suck for those who were getting their affairs in order to start an academy. Again, that is not the mayor's fault. The fault lies with those who approved the process or looked the other way knowing full well of its ramifications.
    Last edited by scfire86; 03-25-2014 at 10:47 AM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

The purpose of the Civil Service system is to ensure a level playing field exists for all candidates. Unless you can show that all candidates were aware of the 60 second cutoff and had access to a computer at the exact time required then one cannot assume that a level playing field existed. Qualified applicants should be evaluated according to their qualifications and then ranked and hired accordingly. NOT according to how quickly they push the "send" button.

I'm sure it does suck for those who were getting their affairs in order to start an academy. Again, that is not the mayor's fault. The fault lies with those who approved the process or looked the other way knowing full well of its ramifications.

I think the problem that most people are having is with the word "cutoff". Those that did not make the first round of interviews were still in the process and would be interviewed at a later date. Not everyone passed the interview, backgrounds, the panel, med/psych. Some may have been picked up by other departments. There was a good chance that more people would have been interviewed considering the amount of people the department needed to hire.

Are people going to make a big deal if County decides to do the lottery again like they've done in the past? That really is a"cutoff".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by laort View Post
    I think the problem that most people are having is with the word "cutoff".
    Again, the purpose of the Civil Service process is to ensure a level playing field. The arbitrary one minute cutoff for academy placement negates that concept. It assumes everyone has access to a computer at the appointed time. Had the instructions specified that academy placement would occur under those parameters those criticizing the mayor might have a more valid position.

I'm not defending his actions. I don't live in LA and don't even live in the county.

I do know that it doesn't help that LAFD was under a federal decree for a long time because of proven favoritism and nepotism.

If FD's were serious about an objective process to recruit and hire the most qualified they would do away with the interview and weight the written and physical and establish a list using those criteria.

Forum Member

Again, the purpose of the Civil Service process is to ensure a level playing field. The arbitrary one minute cutoff for academy placement negates that concept. It assumes everyone has access to a computer at the appointed time. Had the instructions specified that academy placement would occur under those parameters those criticizing the mayor might have a more valid position.

I'm not defending his actions. I don't live in LA and don't even live in the county.

I do know that it doesn't help that LAFD was under a federal decree for a long time because of proven favoritism and nepotism.

If FD's were serious about an objective process to recruit and hire the most qualified they would do away with the interview and weight the written and physical and establish a list using those criteria.

But it was stated. CPATs WILL BE PROCESSED IN THE ORDER THEY ARE RECEIVED. People had three options: email, in person, or regular mail. It's common sense that email would be the fastest. You're going to tell me that people are able to pay $150 to take the CPAT and not willing to go to a library or spend a couple bucks to go to FedEx/Kinkos, or borrow a friend/Family members computer?
    Also, there was no one minute cut off. They reached the number of people needed for the first round of interviews in the first minute. There is a difference. One states: we will keep the window open for the first round for ONE minute. The other: we will take x number of people for the first round of interviews. It just so happened that they reached that number in about a minute. Back to CPATs WILL BE PROCESSED IN THE ORDER THAT THEY ARE RECEIVED.

Forum Member

But it was stated. CPATs WILL BE PROCESSED IN THE ORDER THEY ARE RECEIVED. People had three options: email, in person, or regular mail.
    If those three options were available to all candidates it isn't common sense that email submittals would be given higher priority with respect to the time submitted. If an individual snail mailed his paperwork that individual can assume (given the instructions you cited) that his/her paperwork would be considered equally as the individual who hit the "send" button at the exact time required.

Again, the level playing field that is the purpose of Civil Service was not in play.

Forum Member

If those three options were available to all candidates it isn't common sense that email submittals would be given higher priority with respect to the time submitted. If an individual snail mailed his paperwork that individual can assume (given the instructions you cited) that his/her paperwork would be considered equally as the individual who hit the "send" button at the exact time required.

Again, the level playing field that is the purpose of Civil Service was not in play.
    If you get that rediculous with being "fair" then what about the people who didn't have a ride to the written test. Should the department be responsible to sending a car to their house to pick them up? If you want the job bad enough you'll find access to a computer at a library or something similar. Trust me, I've done it. Making an excuse for everything won't cut it in the fire service anyways. It's about going above and beyond.
    fireman1302 likes this.

Forum Member

I don't get why people are still arguing with this person, they've clearly made up their mind that they are right and you are wrong regardless of what your argument may be.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by And91 View Post
    If you get that rediculous with being "fair" then what about the people who didn't have a ride to the written test. Should the department be responsible to sending a car to their house to pick them up? If you want the job bad enough you'll find access to a computer at a library or something similar. Trust me, I've done it. Making an excuse for everything won't cut it in the fire service anyways. It's about going above and beyond.
    And that's the type of thinking that probably motivated the mayor to throw out the current list.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OnAMission23 View Post
    I don't get why people are still arguing with this person, they've clearly made up their mind that they are right and you are wrong regardless of what your argument may be.
    I just want people that read this thread to understand that process wasn't rigged like the LA Times made it out to be. I never realized how much damage can be caused by irresponsible journalism. As candidates we do our best to make it to the next step and part of that is reading and understanding instructions. (I'm not talking about those that sent in their CPAT at 8:00 on the dot but did not get an interview.)

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be an investigation to definitively prove/disprove that something wrong is/isn't going on. I'm just saying that wasting thousands of tax payer dollars, at a time when the department is desperate for new firefighters is wrong and irresponsible.

Forum Member

I just want people that read this thread to understand that process wasn't rigged like the LA Times made it out to be. I never realized how much damage can be caused by irresponsible journalism. As candidates we do our best to make it to the next step and part of that is reading and understanding instructions. (I'm not talking about those that sent in their CPAT at 8:00 on the dot but did not get an interview.)

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be an investigation to definitively prove/disprove that something wrong is/isn't going on. I'm just saying that wasting thousands of tax payer dollars, at a time when the department is desperate for new firefighters is wrong and irresponsible.
    There is an article in today's L.A. Times that states internal emails between individuals within the department reveal that preferential treatment had been obtained. The article was not specific in the content of those of those emails that would lead the mayor and/or his staff to that conclusion.

Forum Member

Article I found on recruit911.com:

http://www.recruit911.com/lafd-recru...-is-suspended/

Forum Member

Forum Member

IAFF doing their part to get the word out on Garcetti's "fatally flawed" decision.
    http://www.iaff.org/Comm/SpotLight/14Stories/032714LACityRecruits.htm
    fireman1302 likes this.

Forum Member

hey everyone looking to contact the 70 recruits that were supposed to be in the june academy. Please private message me your contact information.

Forum Member

Trying to contact u but the iphone makes it most difficult. I'll get you back tomorrow when I actually have a computer handy.

Forum Member

deleted comment
    Last edited by fireman1302; 04-01-2014 at 12:03 AM. Reason: deleted comment

Forum Member

Bump

Any new info/insight?

LAFD Fire commission had a special meeting on 4/23 but no audio has been posted as of yet.

Thread Information