Like Tree30Likes

Thread: City of Los Angeles 2013

Forum Member

Well, this blows.

Forum Member

what the hell?

Forum Member

So let me get this straight. The Diverse HR department "hired" the incorrect people so these guys get the jobs and the rest have to suffer? So the people who had to make trip after trip, calling out of work and studying and practicing for the interviews, filling out all those background packet info, all translates to nothing because LA City didn't meet their "diverse" requirement.

What gets me is that they are mad that some people had workshops about practicing for the interviews and resume building. Also they were alerted when to send in the CPAT. Well I didn't, I didn't sit down with anyone and practice the interview, and even if I did, who cares. Any job in life is about who you know. That's why there are station visits, to get to know people and to get info.

Interviewing is an art, not everyone is good at it, practicing makes perfect. So who cares if they got practice. And the CPAT thing, sorry yours didn't get selected. That's life, stop complaining, my application has been denied many times because I didn't get it in fast enough. That's just how it goes sometimes. Out of 900 people interviewed, you don't think these people where not qualified? Id say a lot were.

Also resumes were not accepted so I don't get that argument either. But I guess go ahead, "meet" your agenda and hire people who will be less qualified for the job so you can pat yourself on the back when you get to see the next class of cadets that will surely be the worst. Way to waste taxpayer money with all those background investigations.

Forum Member

The biggest issue I see is that not everyone knew about the 60 second cutoff.

Given that many who did have their records submitted before that timeframe were relatives of current LAFD employees it gives the impression of insider knowledge.

While "who you know" is important in any job, that doesn't make it right. It's one of the many reasons the Civil Service process was begun. Prior to that, any civil servant position was given at the whim of whatever politico had been elected. Typically to his or her well connected donors or "friends."

I'm sure it does blow for those who thought they were starting an academy in June.

Welcome to working for government employment. If one was selected because of their stellar credentials, there is a good chance they'll get selected again.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Default Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by SLOReserve View Post
    So let me get this straight. The Diverse HR department "hired" the incorrect people so these guys get the jobs and the rest have to suffer? So the people who had to make trip after trip, calling out of work and studying and practicing for the interviews, filling out all those background packet info, all translates to nothing because LA City didn't meet their "diverse" requirement.

What gets me is that they are mad that some people had workshops about practicing for the interviews and resume building. Also they were alerted when to send in the CPAT. Well I didn't, I didn't sit down with anyone and practice the interview, and even if I did, who cares. Any job in life is about who you know. That's why there are station visits, to get to know people and to get info.

Interviewing is an art, not everyone is good at it, practicing makes perfect. So who cares if they got practice. And the CPAT thing, sorry yours didn't get selected. That's life, stop complaining, my application has been denied many times because I didn't get it in fast enough. That's just how it goes sometimes. Out of 900 people interviewed, you don't think these people where not qualified? Id say a lot were.

Also resumes were not accepted so I don't get that argument either. But I guess go ahead, "meet" your agenda and hire people who will be less qualified for the job so you can pat yourself on the back when you get to see the next class of cadets that will surely be the worst. Way to waste taxpayer money with all those background investigations.
    I agree with you 100%. As one of the candidates who has painfully gone through this who process and now conditional in hand only to have it all taken away it's just a sad day for the department. So some people complain, and now they cancel the ENTIRE process? I have worked for years on my education and experience to make myself the best possible candidate. I have written emails and will continue to do so to the mayors office, councilman offices and to the LA Times. Something needs to be done. 99% of us went through the process fairly (without knowing anyone on the dept), and the 1% benefiting from the "extra help" or "being a family member" is already in class 1! The only class NOT affected by all of this.

Forum Member

Insider info? If you didn't know to submit your information as soon as possible then you don't deserve the job. I waited the first second to turn in my CPAT. Guess what, it got accepted. Sorry to those that waited. Every department works like this, not only la city
    fireman1302 and oviera like this.

Forum Member

what is the reason this happened? Please don't be sarcastic; I'm as annoyed as the rest of you but it's hard to follow exactly what people really mean through written text.

Forum Member

Basically:

-some captain gave workshops to prepare for the hiring process to only a select few individuals.

-the current academy does not reflect what the mayor thinks as diverse (60% white males and one female)

-people who were not fortunate enough to get the CPAT submitted on time. People complained about a 60 second cut off that was not explained.

-current class has 25% who are related to current LAFD employees

So what I get from this is that if you have a role model in your family who is a firefighter, don't follow it, and if you try to prepare for a exam, make sure you don't prepare to make it fair for others. Oh, and don't be white or a male.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLOReserve View Post
    -people who were not fortunate enough to get the CPAT submitted on time. People complained about a 60 second cut off that was not explained.

So what I get from this is that if you have a role model in your family who is a firefighter, don't follow it, and if you try to prepare for a exam, make sure you don't prepare to make it fair for others. Oh, and don't be white or a male.
    I don't believe that is the point at all. No one is saying to not be prepared. I don't speak for the mayor, but I believe only a fool believes the amount of relatives who somehow knew about the 60 second rule is the sticking point. Had that been in the instructions the critics would have less to criticize about the process. But not everyone did. The time limit was set arbitrarily with even well qualified candidates who did all they were asked and were qualified being unaware that if they didn't submit their information within 60 seconds it was all for nothing. There's a very real possibility that numerous well or better qualified individuals who didn't have access to a computer at that exact moment in time were excluded from being considered.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I don't believe that is the point at all. No one is saying to not be prepared. I don't speak for the mayor, but I believe only a fool believes the amount of relatives who somehow knew about the 60 second rule is the sticking point. Had that been in the instructions the critics would have less to criticize about the process. But not everyone did. The time limit was set arbitrarily with even well qualified candidates who did all they were asked and were qualified being unaware that if they didn't submit their information within 60 seconds it was all for nothing. There's a very real possibility that numerous well or better qualified individuals who didn't have access to a computer at that exact moment in time were excluded from being considered.
    There was no 60 second cut off though, They just received enough in 60 seconds for the first round, more are processed at a later date, it has to do with everyone not being patient or realizing that they should get information in promptly. I made it through to passing all portions of the exam and was slated for the June tower, I had no inside information, or any help. I am an extremely qualified applicant with over 5 years career fire service experience, teaching credentials, paramedic certification and college education, I planned by preparing my e-mail the night before and took time off of work to get mine in at 0800.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDJFIREMAN1 View Post
    There was no 60 second cut off though, They just received enough in 60 seconds for the first round, more are processed at a later date, it has to do with everyone not being patient or realizing that they should get information in promptly. I made it through to passing all portions of the exam and was slated for the June tower, I had no inside information, or any help. I am an extremely qualified applicant with over 5 years career fire service experience, teaching credentials, paramedic certification and college education, I planned by preparing my e-mail the night before and took time off of work to get mine in at 0800.
    Which is exactly what I was saying. No one was told that to be considered for the first round of hiring that a certain number were going to be considered based upon when they paperwork was submitted. I'm sure you are very qualified, but so are many others who probably believed their quals were going to considered for entry dates based upon those quals, not when they were submitted.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDJFIREMAN1 View Post
    I also did the same. Anyone who has been testing for a while now knows the importance of being extremely prompt about submitting any and all information at the exact time asked for. Of course the sheer number of people will exclude some. This is always the case. I have personally missed out on several departments due to time cutoffs. I did not complain to the department or city council. I have spoke with many people scheduled to be in the June academy and all were very qualified. It's sad that these people who missed out feel a sense of entitlement and ruin it for the rest of us.

Forum Member

more news on californiafirefighter.com
    Last edited by brian2013; 03-21-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Forum Member

Default LAFD the forgotten 99.9%

https://www.facebook.com/pages/LAFD-Candidates-the-forgotten-999/589006124522125?skip_nax_wizar d=true

Forum Member

People, thank you for clarifying. I wasn't sure but now I have a better understanding (i guess?). It's such a shame that this is happening; I went through something similar with New York back in 2007.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Which is exactly what I was saying. No one was told that to be considered for the first round of hiring that a certain number were going to be considered based upon when they paperwork was submitted.
    It stated that people will be processed in the order their CPATS were received. How do you claim you didn't know about this? YOU WERE TOLD RIGHT THERE. With thousands wanting a couple hundred jobs, common sense told me to get it in at 8:00:01. 900+ people got it in under the minute mark. Where do you want the personnel department to cut it off? 2k interviews? 3k? There needed to be a line drawn based on the resources and need of the LAFD.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TeeJayB View Post
    It stated that people will be processed in the order their CPATS were received. How do you claim you didn't know about this? YOU WERE TOLD RIGHT THERE. With thousands wanting a couple hundred jobs, common sense told me to get it in at 8:00:01. 900+ people got it in under the minute mark. Where do you want the personnel department to cut it off? 2k interviews? 3k? There needed to be a line drawn based on the resources and need of the LAFD.
    Apparently the mayor and many others believe that is not a good way to evaluate qualifications of potential employees. Is that done in all other departments? Or just the LAFD?

Forum Member

-"""current class has 25% who are related to current LAFD employees""""

Thought I saw being a relative was a requirement

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    -"""current class has 25% who are related to current LAFD employees""""

Thought I saw being a relative was a requirement
    I'd like to see how many people in the academy have a family member in another department as well. I think you would see how many people have family in the fire service. I don't think this was a bias, or a selection criteria as you propose, but an understanding of the fire service from growing up with those values. I was slated for the June tower. I have a father who is a 33 year fire captain with a different department. I didn't hear about any time cutoff, but I understand how important timelines are in the fire service. That's why I turned my CPAT in at 8:00:01. It makes sense when they say that applications will be processed in the order they're processed in to try and be as close to the front of the line as possible. Common sense.

Forum Member

Do you know if a time cutoff is used in all LA hiring or just LAFD?

Thread Information