Like Tree30Likes

Thread: City of Los Angeles 2013

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrg85 View Post
    Anybody know when we are expected to get our exam results?

No idea, but I'm guessing a month or so. I don't remember them saying anything about it at the test either. Just to not call HR for results.

Forum Member

I would say at least 1 month, there were a thousands of people there

Forum Member

Well I did take the test on Saturday morning and boy was it overwellming with so many people and it was only 3,000 people per session. From when I took the exam 5 years ago this test was way harder in the sense that the math was a little bit more difficult and the mechanical apptitude was hard too just a little bit. The one thing that made this test more difficult was the time that was allowed to take this exam. 2 hrs and 30min was just not enough time to take the test. The math and the mechanical part of the exam would been alot easier if there was not so much of a time restraint on the exam. It just takes time to figure out these problems. They said that you only need a high school education to pass this exam and they were completely wrong. I have a 4 yr degree and if you dont do these exams all the time you will fail. I walked out of the exam and there were people that did not even finish the exam because of the time allowed. I am even wondering if I even passed because I at least am going to blow through the exam at the end if I am running out of time. I would rather guess on the answers instead of leaving the test blank and be guaranteed to fail the question. At least narrow down to 50 to 50 percent and then guess from there. I will guarantee that probably 40 to 50 percent of the applicant will not pass. Also, to the people that they are trying to hire without alot of prior education pass high school will probably fail unless they get lucky and and guess right. This is just my opinion from the weekend.

With seeing so many people its like buying a lotto ticket and going home and hope your numbers come up on the screen. It was a real experience and I will never forget it. Good Luck Everybody..... You will need it.............................

Forum Member

I underestimated the mechanical aptitude portion.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrg85 View Post
    I underestimated the mechanical aptitude portion.
    lol I thought the mechanical aptitude would be a lot like the study problems joinlafd had on the website. Big mistake on my part.

Forum Member

We will find out in two weeks. God speed.

Forum Member

I think it was a lot harder than a CPS test, I had plenty of time to finish, it was nice having 2.5hrs compared to the standard 2hrs

Forum Member

there would have been no way to finish that exam in 2 hrs. 80 percent of people would of failed and the other 20 percent would of got lucky as they flew thru the scantron form and bubbled in whatever they thought would stick and work. Oh yes this exam was harder than the CPS exams and plus they said they are looking for inter-city people with just a high school education. No way those people are going to pass the exam. You need college education to pass and I bet if you had a 4 yr degree and walked off the street and had 2.5 hrs to take this test for the first time you would def fail. It was just a crazy weird exam but when you have 12,000 people you have to chop heads somehow and that is with the written then the CPAT and then you start to get the cream of the crop some how
    Last edited by bubba1322; 03-05-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Forum Member

That test was definitely challenging. I have taken more than a handful of those types of tests which helped prepare me for this one. I haven't failed any and would be surprised if I got below an 85% on this one. My buddy and I walked in to this thinking it was going to be a cake walk, we were dead wrong.

Forum Member

The only challenging part of the written exam was the mechanical aptitude section. Math and reading comprehension were straight forward. The test problems from all three sections were time consuming. I hope I pass. God speed.
    Last edited by dctalk523; 03-06-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dctalk523 View Post
    The only challenging part of the written exam was the mechanical aptitude section. Math and reading comprehension were straight forward. The test problems from all three sections were time consuming. I hope I pass. God speed.
    There was question based off a picture that had 6 questions. I am sure I missed all of them.
    Last edited by mrg85; 03-06-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Forum Member

That specific question I got. I hope. I visualized the machine and gears in motion.

Of the three sections, math was the easiest. Time consuming, but easy.
    God speed.
    Last edited by dctalk523; 03-06-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Forum Member

what do you think passing will be? 70% or on a curve?

Forum Member

The written exam was pass/fail. 70% and above move forward to interviews. God speed.

Forum Member

Default curve?

brianpalazzo- i think it will be based on a curve or what the city is looking for (what kind of applicants/diversity they need). rumor has it that you need a "70 %" to pass. i find it a little strange that they will not tell you what your actual score is. so we shall see. I wish we had a little bit more time, but what can you do. wish you the best guy

Forum Member

Did anyone else feel like some of the questions didn't really have the answer you thought they should?

Forum Member

No grading on curve. Its pass/ fail. 70% and above move forward to interviews. I'm anxious to get my test result. All I care about is passing and moving forward. God speed.

Forum Member

Default LAFD test

kvucinic- "Did anyone else feel like some of the questions didn't really have the answer you thought they should? " yes.

Forum Member

There was at least a few questions that didn't have an exact answer and you were suppose to pick the one that was the closest.

Forum Member

I felt like it was pretty difficult, but I've been in Medic school for the past 9 months, so I've been in "test taking" mode for a while...which I think really helped me. I still didn't have enough time to go over some of the questions a second time, like i had wanted to...but I'm confident I got at least an 85-90. Again, I think this is because I've been taking a lot of tests recently...had I been out of practice i don't think it would have gone so well...

I saw on the JoinLAFD Twitter feed that we should know something in 3-4 weeks. Seems long to me, considering their past processes. Maybe they are just giving themselves a nice little cushion, just in case they don't have them all out at the 2 week mark...and to save their department from getting an influx of phone calls...I'm hoping its sooner rather than later (duh).

Anyone know what the rumor mill is saying about the first drill tower?? As in, when will it be? Do you think there will be one by the end of the year, or are we looking at 2014??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by joe_carlos59 View Post
    Anyone know what the rumor mill is saying about the first drill tower?? As in, when will it be? Do you think there will be one by the end of the year, or are we looking at 2014??
    When looking through the older thread (LA's process back in 2008??) I think I saw someone mention it was about eight months between the written and all the processes being completed. Meaning, it took eight months for the department to say "You're good to go, the academy starts....". So, if this is correct, we might be looking at beginning of 2014. Time will tell.

I also didn't find the test extremely difficult. I heard from the previous test that it was a piece of cake, which this was not. BUT, it also wasn't something incredibly difficult that I'm worried about whether or not I passed. Good luck to all and hopefully we hear something sooner than later!

Forum Member

On the first page of this thread someone was saying they will run 70 people through in January 2014 and another 70 in July 2014.

Forum Member

any other "out of state"-ers here, that flew out for the test?

Forum Member

yeah i came from the east coast. i'm worried if i passed as well.

Forum Member

I'm an East coaster also. I expect we'll get our results a day or two later than everyone else due to carrier time...the good news is, we'll know when it's coming....

I'm just hoping they'll be clear about when to send the CPAT results. On the old thread, there were a couple of guys who never got their written results, and when they called, the lady told them it was because they didn't have their CPAT results. On the JoinLAFD website, it says to wait for instructions on when and how to send...

Thread Information