Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: City of Los Angeles 2013

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire2013 View Post
    brianpalazzo- i think it will be based on a curve or what the city is looking for (what kind of applicants/diversity they need). rumor has it that you need a "70 %" to pass. i find it a little strange that they will not tell you what your actual score is. so we shall see. I wish we had a little bit more time, but what can you do. wish you the best guy
    Oh I guarantee if they are looking for specific applicants/diversity this was the wrong test to give. The average person from the inter-city with barely a high school education I guarantee will not pass this test with a 70 percent for sure. People off the street with a 4 yr degree won't even pass this test. The only people that will pass this test either take these exams all the time or they get lucky and wing it, but winging it does always allow you to pass either. If they are looking for diversity/inter-city they will have to grade on the curve. I bet the city grades all of the exams and goes Woooooooo. Then they will have to go back to the drawing board and grade on a curve.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by joe_carlos59 View Post
    I felt like it was pretty difficult, but I've been in Medic school for the past 9 months, so I've been in "test taking" mode for a while...which I think really helped me. I still didn't have enough time to go over some of the questions a second time, like i had wanted to...but I'm confident I got at least an 85-90. Again, I think this is because I've been taking a lot of tests recently...had I been out of practice i don't think it would have gone so well...

I saw on the JoinLAFD Twitter feed that we should know something in 3-4 weeks. Seems long to me, considering their past processes. Maybe they are just giving themselves a nice little cushion, just in case they don't have them all out at the 2 week mark...and to save their department from getting an influx of phone calls...I'm hoping its sooner rather than later (duh).

Anyone know what the rumor mill is saying about the first drill tower?? As in, when will it be? Do you think there will be one by the end of the year, or are we looking at 2014??
    Drill tower of 70 on January 2014 and 70 more on July 2014

Forum Member

I'm an East coaster also. I expect we'll get our results a day or two later than everyone else due to carrier time...the good news is, we'll know when it's coming....

I'm just hoping they'll be clear about when to send the CPAT results. On the old thread, there were a couple of guys who never got their written results, and when they called, the lady told them it was because they didn't have their CPAT results. On the JoinLAFD website, it says to wait for instructions on when and how to send...
    Well those were people that never got their written results probably had errors on their mailing address because they probably did not follow directiosn. My advice if you pass you get your CPAT card scanned into a PDF doc and either email or mail it in or fax it. I would probably do all three and then keep calling them to make sure they got it and time stamp and get names to cover your ***

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bubba1322 View Post
    Well those were people that never got their written results probably had errors on their mailing address because they probably did not follow directiosn. My advice if you pass you get your CPAT card scanned into a PDF doc and either email or mail it in or fax it. I would probably do all three and then keep calling them to make sure they got it and time stamp and get names to cover your ***
    As someone who as applied to departments from out of state, especially big ones.....
    Send your stuff in multiple different ways. Email, fax, hard copy. Call to confirm that they have gotten necessary documents. Send things certified mail. Send things early and if there is any question in your mind if a document will make it in time....pony up and pay the extra 20 or 30 bucks to overnight it.
    And do not stop calling and bugging them if you need to. There were periods of time where I was calling HR multiple times a day for days or even weeks on end. They start to know you and they are usually more than willing to help once they realize you aren't going to stop calling them.

Anyways, best of luck to you guys. It's tough enough doing the out of state thing, it's even tougher with 12000+ applicants trying to bombarde HR. Stay persistent.

Forum Member

To go off the above post, all certs etc. should be hand delivered to personnel if possible. If you are out of town, I would mail them certified. I know multiple people in the process last time that were told by personnel that their certs weren't there or had been lost. The people that continued on, were the ones who were able to say I dropped it off to (insert name) on (insert date). Also, make copies of everything!

Forum Member

Yes,you should surly go for it.More efforts more benefit.Go for fight.Its good news for all of us guys.

Forum Member

At the test, they told us not to contact HR...

I feel a little like over-contacting would be detrimental...not helpful.

Just my opinion.
    d_will likes this.

Forum Member

At the test, they told us not to contact HR...

I feel a little like over-contacting would be detrimental...not helpful.

Just my opinion.
    Ya I think it is a good idea to follow directions and not contact them.

Forum Member

Default That test

I drove down from the Bay to take that monster. I have to say I thought it was a challenging test. It's not my first rodeo either. I've taken a few fire and the CA-POST exam for the PO-PO too. I score 65+ on PELLET-B consistently and thought the time constraint complicated things. I did not have the time to review 5-10 Q's I would have liked to. Having a degree and a medic license sure helped with regard to test-taking...

As previously stated, I don't know how they'll issolate the demographics they're looking for with that test. Applicants around me in line using "street talk" are supposed to crest 70%??? (sure I'll get some fallout for that)
    I'm not off the street, but i have the disadvantage of being white and male so we'll see.
    -C

The challenging factor of the test was the time given. I am thorough when I take a test and I don't like to go back an seconded guess myself. If I can't figure out a question I skip it and save it for the end. A good percentage of people aren't good at math or they have not brushed up on it. I believe a lot of people off the street will not pass that test. The first test I took was for Sacramento and I only got a 79 because I didn't have much preparation going in to it. After taking more tests I got a 92 on Charleston's test. On this test it doesn't really matter what score you get as long as it is above a 70. Good luck to all.

Forum Member

One thing I believe they should have done was disqualify all the people that forgot to bring their letter. If one isn't able to follow that simple of a direction, then why should they be given the opportunity to still test? Would have also been a good way to cut down the number of people to interview and whatnot.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone happen to know if they are handing out background packets on the day of interviews like they supposedly did during the last hiring process?

Forum Member

Was hoping someone would hear today!

Everyone keep us posted when you get that letter!

Forum Member

Was hoping someone would hear today!

Everyone keep us posted when you get that letter!
    joinlafd recently said to expect results in approximately 3 weeks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kvucinic View Post
    One thing I believe they should have done was disqualify all the people that forgot to bring their letter. If one isn't able to follow that simple of a direction, then why should they be given the opportunity to still test? Would have also been a good way to cut down the number of people to interview and whatnot.
    Haven't been testing much have you

Forum Member

I have not tested much since I'm still earning things such as me EMT and whatnot. I know that places will disqualify you because you forgot something if that's what you meant, but I also know that LA didn't do this. I saw someone I know in the line for people who forgot their letter and he was still able to take the test.

Forum Member

I have also heard that some places will specially file or mark the tests of the ones who maybe didn't follow directions. I'm not saying LA did this, but I know it's been done before! It's possible.

Forum Member

technically, you didnt need your letter to take the test. it says specifically in joinlafd website that "Bring the exam notification WITH YOU to the test. If you do not have your test notification, you can still process with a valid I.D. However, entry into the test will be delayed." so you didnt actually have to have the notification with you. Dont worry about disqualifications, just make sure youre squared away when the time comes.
    Last edited by themooingdawg; 03-17-2013 at 09:38 PM.

Forum Member

I remember it saying "bring this notification with you" but don't remember it saying it's okay to not bring it. But my notification is long gone so I can't deny it says that. But attention to detail is a major thing is extremely important in most jobs, but especially in emergency services. I know applicants who have been dq'd for attaching all their certs for a department instead of just the certs they asked for. I have also heard of interviews where it says "bring 65 cents with you into the interview" buried in the small print on the notification to see if the applicant has indeed paid attention.

Either way, LAFD allowed them to test. It is their decision, not yours. Not even being a rookie yet, if that fact bothers you, wait until your first year! Besides, people who cant follow directions will get weeded out. You are your only real competition. You can only blame yourself for not preparing for the written/interview/cpat/rookie school.

(Getting of the soapbox) We are entering the 4th week since the test. I'm extremely excited to get my results. This is the only test I have actually been nervous about since it caught me off guard. Did not think it would be that difficult.

Good luck to you all! Please post when you get your letter (good or bad) so we can all stand by the mailbox in anticipation!

Forum Member

They just posted on their facebook page that they HOPE to have the results mailed first week of April due to late testing and amount of applicants. Crossing fingers it's no longer than that.

Thread Information