Like Tree30Likes

Thread: City of Los Angeles 2013

Forum Member

I got off my ambulance at 6:30am Monday morning. I fell asleep till roughly 12 when i woke up and submitted my CPAT. The confirmation email said "in a timely manner" so we'll see what interpretation that comes out to. As they say, "you snooze you lose" and I may not get an interview because I submitted a cert 4 hours after it opened. It's ludacris to think that way, but it may be the reality in this day in age.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CDNash View Post
    I got off my ambulance at 6:30am Monday morning. I fell asleep till roughly 12 when i woke up and submitted my CPAT. The confirmation email said "in a timely manner" so we'll see what interpretation that comes out to. As they say, "you snooze you lose" and I may not get an interview because I submitted a cert 4 hours after it opened. It's ludacris to think that way, but it may be the reality in this day in age.
    HAHA. You answered your own question "You Snooze You Lose" You actually were snoozing but you are not loosing. Everybody will get processed somehow. Maybe they will take everybody into one big session of the convention center one day and just do orientation and give us our turnout gear and say welcome aboard. That would be nice. huh.

I just don't have they are going to do so many interviews... They are already under-staffed. I am just curious how many people passed the written exam as well as how many people turned in CPAT's

Forum Member

I don't have a CPAT certification, and I live on the East Coast. I have not been able to find a place within a decent proximity that offers it. I received my email saying I passed LAFD written exam....would I be foolish to continue searching for a place to get CPAT certified or should I not bother at this point?

Forum Member

Well JohnyBoy that is a tough question to answer kid. The question you have to ask yourself is the risk worth the possible benefit?? If you completely went out of your way to find a place to do your CPAT and then turn it in, then you are committed to the long process of what can be. Do you love living on the East Coast? If so, then find a great place to work back there. If not, then keep pushing forward and see what happens. I have spent years and years and time after time and money after lots of money spending on this dream and it all depends how much energy and time and money you want to put into this exam. Everybody has to make decisions in their own life and what is best for them. So Good Luck....
    J0hnnyb0y likes this.

Forum Member

I would say, do it! If you are an east coaster and you are wide open to applying for many departments across the country, then it's worth it. You'll have to do it eventually to get in somewhere large and well paying.

Florida is probably the cheapest place to fly. There are always deals into Orlando bc of its vacation nature, and there is a CPAT testing location there (technically I think the city is called Longwood, but it's right next to Orlando). Make a trip out of it, and just just do it. Many departments will utilize it to hire, and the folks at LAFD said they would co tiniest to process CPATS as they came in,
    J0hnnyb0y likes this.

Forum Member

*continue to process

MembersZone Subscriber

At this point, am just concerned if I will make the first cut for interviews. I might of had some complications with my first submission at 8:01am. If I submitted my email as of 8:33am, what do you guys/gals think are my chances of making the first cut?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnfra200302 View Post
    At this point, am just concerned if I will make the first cut for interviews. I might of had some complications with my first submission at 8:01am. If I submitted my email as of 8:33am, what do you guys/gals think are my chances of making the first cut?
    I submitted mine at 8:00 on the dot, time stamped and everything. I only submitted it ONCE, and I received conformation by 9:55 am. I assumed the reason for delay was due to the amount of people submitting and that I was one of the first to submit, which would put my name at the bottom of the list for the reply email. I'm sure there will be nothing to worry about, we will all know more in the next couple weeks

Forum Member

Asking people for opinions on if you make the first cut is like asking people what the lottery numbers are gonna be next week. At this point you, me, and the hundreds if not thousands of people are in the same boat and cannot do another single thing until we get a response from the city. Start making contact with people who work for the department to maybe do ride outs and help with the interviews since THAT is going to get you the job. Grab a beer and do not worry about what is now out of your control!

Forum Member

Amen to that. Grabbing of the beer.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeJayB View Post
    Asking people for opinions on if you make the first cut is like asking people what the lottery numbers are gonna be next week. At this point you, me, and the hundreds if not thousands of people are in the same boat and cannot do another single thing until we get a response from the city. Start making contact with people who work for the department to maybe do ride outs and help with the interviews since THAT is going to get you the job. Grab a beer and do not worry about what is now out of your control!

Forum Member

thanks a lot, both of you. i am going to look into flying to Orlando to take it.

Forum Member

alright i did it. scheduled my CPAT for may 25 in florida.....hopefully it ain't too late for me

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by J0hnnyb0y View Post
    alright i did it. scheduled my CPAT for may 25 in florida.....hopefully it ain't too late for me
    I think you made a good call here, man.
    The reality is that you may not get an interview now, or in the next couple months or even year. Who knows if any of us will....
    But, they need to hire a lot of people. Keep your CPAT current. You never know when they're going to need to interview another 500 people.
    You'd feel foolish if you had to decline an interview because you were too lazy/cheap/careless (not saying YOU specifically) to keep it current.

Forum Member

Wow... lots of interesting questions/situations... but we all learn from mistakes.

I have the feeling that this process is going to be like the one in early 2000 (2001/2002 ?) . I don't know if anyone in here applied that time, went thru, or just remembers it from the past.

I remember at that point you were required to live in LA just to apply. About 3000 took the test, about half passed it, and about 700 got hired. They used one single test to choose recruits for several drill towers. I remember following the process closely as I wanted to get on (living overseas at the time) and a buddy of mine went thru it. One of the drill towers were only paramedics. I have the feeling that this test will be used to hired hundreds of people in the following years.

However, closely following the budget situation in LA City, the upcoming mayoral election, and other issues, everything is so uncertain, who knows.

For those who passed the written and are learning from LAFD hiring process, I would suggest you to find a different thread in this same forum called "LAFD applicants". Lots if info from individuals that have been on the job there for quite a few years now.

The interview step will decide everything.

Forum Member

13,235 people applied for the job
    9,607 went to the written exam

2/3rd of the people passed the written which is about 6,400 people passed

They are hiring at least 140 next year and the tower will be in panorama city at station 81

They are losing at a rate of 10 firefighters a month to retirements.

This is my last posting on the site due to hurting my chances. I do know more info but care not to post it. Good Luck everybody and see you later...

Forum Member

Just wondering if anybody was at the interview prep seminar? If so, did they give any info on when they were going to start interviewing? Interview format? or future dates for interview prep? I RSVP'd for Tuesdays and havent heard back so I'm assuming they are booking up fast.

Forum Member

I didn't realize that people were starting hear back after they submitted their CPAT.

I submitted my CPAT at 8am on the 22nd and haven't heard anything about scheduling interviews.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorT View Post
    I didn't realize that people were starting hear back after they submitted their CPAT.

I submitted my CPAT at 8am on the 22nd and haven't heard anything about scheduling interviews.
    Yes I have been reading other forums and heard the same thing that some people are getting interview times. It might be a good thing or a bad thing to get the first interview times. Let some of people roll through the interview process to let the city see what prospects they are getting and then let the cream of the crop roll through. Just a guess.

I went to the interview prep on Saturday and it was a good event to go too. They said mid may or june and it seems to be right that interview times are starting to roll out. I guess there is no ryhm or reason for anything right now. Its just out of our control at this point. Just a waiting game

The city is going to post the interview prep powerpoint on their website within the next month

Forum Member

I haven't heard anything about people getting interview times, but I'm also not aware of any more forums...which ones are you referring to? I've searched pretty well for other message boards...and have come up short.

As always, I would take anything you hear with a grain of salt, unless its coming directly from LAFD. Sounds like the sessions were informative! In which case, I'm extremely grateful for forums like these, where those of us not able to be present can get info!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by joe_carlos59 View Post
    I haven't heard anything about people getting interview times, but I'm also not aware of any more forums...which ones are you referring to? I've searched pretty well for other message boards...and have come up short.

As always, I would take anything you hear with a grain of salt, unless its coming directly from LAFD. Sounds like the sessions were informative! In which case, I'm extremely grateful for forums like these, where those of us not able to be present can get info!
    http://www.californiafirefighter.com...t=7127&page=43

Forum Member

Received a letter today, interview scheduled for mid June. No medic or FF 1. Emailed my CPAT at 08:00 on the dot.
    Last edited by SAGuy; 05-06-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Forum Member

Just talked to a buddy of mine. He got a interview for May 21st. He got a letter in the mail, no email. So looks like letters are out, check your mail box. Best of luck to everyone.

-He did say he turned his cpat in at 08:01

Forum Member

No letter from LAFD yet, but I did get an interview for Beverly Hills FD today! So, that's exciting! Hopefully ill get a letter tomorrow or the next day for LAFD, and ill only have to book one flight!

MembersZone Subscriber

Those that received letters, are you from Los Angeles or the surrounding area?

Forum Member

Down in OC

Thread Information