Like Tree30Likes

Thread: City of Los Angeles 2013

Forum Member

Default City of Los Angeles 2013

I looked but didnt see a thread. If there is one, my apologies for starting a new one. The City of Los Angeles has announced they are accepting applications for the written civil service exam.

http://joinlafd.org/
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

In for updates later. Now that the app is closed.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Bumping this to the top.

Forum Member

Do you guys think those of us without NREMT-P stand a chance? Just wondering if they really want to pay to send people through a paramedic program in these tough times.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrg85 View Post
    Do you guys think those of us without NREMT-P stand a chance? Just wondering if they really want to pay to send people through a paramedic program in these tough times.
    Yes. Go for it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrg85 View Post
    Absolutely! If you read their website, they have 1,051 on duty each day and only 218 are medics. While I'm sure that number needs to move up in their eyes (the medics), the overwhelming majority of line staff are not medics.

Forum Member

i was browsing the iaff website trying to understand the deal with the CPAT. how can i schedule a date to take it? i live in new york city and understand i need to have this part of the process done before the interviews start.

when can we expect to hear if our preliminary background applications have been approved for the written exam?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by J0hnnyb0y View Post
    i was browsing the iaff website trying to understand the deal with the CPAT. how can i schedule a date to take it? i live in new york city and understand i need to have this part of the process done before the interviews start.

when can we expect to hear if our preliminary background applications have been approved for the written exam?
    Dude PM you're e-mail address reason being is I will contact someone I know who can give us (native New Yorkers) the info on where to get it done. Also if you need a flight buddy, I'm here.

Also while I know a certain Lahore might disagree, a lot of WC FDs are taking a look at Single-serve paramedics again so I would absolutely apply without a NERMT-P cert.

Forum Member

does anybody know if, regarding the new 2013 fire recruit LAFD application, that putting down THC use will automatically disqualify you? Its been close to 9 years since i even ever touched it (unfortunately, they dont let you put down a timeline)and i put it down because i associate it the same as marijuana, and I'm just wondering if anybody has that information regarding it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    Dude PM you're e-mail address reason being is I will contact someone I know who can give us (native New Yorkers) the info on where to get it done. Also if you need a flight buddy, I'm here.

Also while I know a certain Lahore might disagree, a lot of WC FDs are taking a look at Single-serve paramedics again so I would absolutely apply without a NERMT-P cert.
    Well, good news for you guys who have to do the CPAT out here, there is a CPAT facility in Orange County, a little bit south of LA, that has a testing date for the same weekend that the written tests are. If i'm not mistaken, its on a Saturday so if you have an appointment for a written test, ask to take it on that Sunday instead of Saturday.

As for themooingdawg, I'm not saying it won't disqualify you but I'm not saying it will. You have to remember, not only is this the first time in a few years they opened apps, but for some reason, this go-around is all aimed at "minorities" meaning Asian-Americans, Mexican-Americans, African-Americans and women (<- That makes me a minority I suppose...) so if you don't fall in those categories, anything on your record or any faults won't look so great. Granted, out here there are plenty of kids that have done Fire Academies since they were 15. But that doesn't mean they stand a chance with the hiring process either.

Now, if you get through the first process with that on there, be completely truthful about it; explain why you did it, when, where, with whom and what you learned from the experience. They aren't looking to shun you for using drugs, they want to make sure you learned from you "mistakes" and that you have grown up from it. Don't think of it as a horrible thing, we were all kids once, but for this line of work, obviously to be a drug user is a huge no-no. And explain you know that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by barbieemt View Post
    Well, good news for you guys who have to do the CPAT out here, there is a CPAT facility in Orange County, a little bit south of LA, that has a testing date for the same weekend that the written tests are. If i'm not mistaken, its on a Saturday so if you have an appointment for a written test, ask to take it on that Sunday instead of Saturday.
    yooo.......... thank you so much!!!

Forum Member

No problem! Just remember to either watch the video on Youtube or do it a few times out where you live. Simple things like letting the rope slip a little on the ladder raise will make them fail you.

Forum Member

duly noted thanks again. i actually took it back in 2008 but then my local FD decided to go on a four-year hiring freeze, and now here i am.

when i took it in new york...we were given a walk-through tutorial of each event by the city proctors, 3 practice attempts (passing any would have sufficed for the real thing), and then the actual CPAT run. i wonder if this format is followed throughout the rest of the country.

Forum Member

It is, but unfortunately its on different days. You have to pay $150 and it comes with an Orientation which is like a walk through, 2 practice runs and then your CPAT.
    The dates for the orientations, practice run and CPAT are in order of; March 2nd, March 5th and March 7th. The practice and orientation isn't mandatory though.

Forum Member

Barbieemt:

So with that it is pretty much confirmed that the written is on the 2nd or 3rd (March)? I ask because I read on a different forum as well heard from parties in the Dept. that there was some pressure to push it to this summer.

I appreciate any info since you are right there and I am in midwest.

Forum Member

Also, I know it may be to soon, but one month notification seems to be too short of a notice considering Los Angeles FD and all of its potential candidates. Back to probably 7 years ago, I remember going thru other agencies processes and the notice was way more than a month to take the written exam. I might be wrong (its been a while).

I know there are others already in the fire service considering for this amazing opportunity and with that comes the time off requests, booking flights, vacation planning , etc, etc.

I was expecting by now I would have already received a notice of examination or some sort of update on my status.

Anyways... keep working hard fellas!

Forum Member

Same here with thinking I would have heard something by now, but I have friends that are applying to LAPD as well, and their process from application to academy is around 8 months, which is unheard of. LAPD and LAFD are run by the same area out here, especially with backgrounds and physicals. Also... we're getting a new Mayor out here in June... one that might not be so keen on a mass hire of city employees. Mayor Villaraigosa looooves our FD out here (You can see that by the many, many pictures of him at the firehouses for breakfast and random visits..) I'm not saying the next mayor won't be an FD supporter, but maybe one that has some different views about budgets and staffing.. So it looks like they're pushing hard for this recruitment to go through.

Forum Member

Went to one of their written test prep courses last weekend and it was told to me that there was 13,400 people applied and 1,000 people did not meet the qualifications. So there will be 12,400 people going to the written exam. Once the written exam is over there will be about 15 to 20 % of the people taking the written won't either show up or fail the exam.

So after the written exam is over there will be roughly 9,900 people left over after the written exam which would twindle down after people not taking the CPAT nor people going to the interview process. Also, they will be starting a drill tower in Jan 2014 for 70 candidates, and then one in July 2014 for 70 candidates too.

Anybody else have any info that would be great. Also, on the application there was a section where it asked if you have taken a written exam for the City within the past 5 years, does this mean that some people won't have to take the written exam or what?????? I can't get an answer from the city which they probably dont know either. Everything moves at a snails pace with cities and counties.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by bubba1322; 01-30-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks for that info! As for the written test- Negative! I'm 99.9% sure you'll have to take it again. If you did take a test, it's possible that they would dig it up and see if you failed it. Not all of the City's tests are the same. If you took one to be a landscaper, I highly doubt that the mechanical part would be on that test, like they are on the FD test.

Forum Member

Thanks for your resonse but why would that question be asked on an application if you have taken a written exam within the last 5 years, makes no sense. But what do I know.

I think the city is so having more important things to do beside pull up my old test to see if I failed so it makes no sense for your thinking behind digging up a failed score or a passed score. There is some mathematical reason why HR department would ask that question.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bubba1322 View Post
    So after the written exam is over there will be roughly 9,900 people left over after the written exam which would twindle down after people not taking the CPAT nor people going to the interview process.
    Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that they would only grant an interview to those with the highest test scores(the top 300 or so). Does everybody who gets a passing score get an interview?

Forum Member

Anybody getting a passing score of 70 percent and that can show proof of a CPAT cert gets an interview.

Forum Member

Thanks for your resonse but why would that question be asked on an application if you have taken a written exam within the last 5 years, makes no sense. But what do I know.

I think the city is so having more important things to do beside pull up my old test to see if I failed so it makes no sense for your thinking behind digging up a failed score or a passed score. There is some mathematical reason why HR department would ask that question.....

They did for my brother when he tested for CHP... So I'm saying this from experience, not from "thinking".

Forum Member

Anybody getting a passing score of 70 percent and that can show proof of a CPAT cert gets an interview.
    Wow, seems like a lot of interviews.

Forum Member

I am still deciding on if I want to drive down to go to the seminar, or just study the notes.

Thread Information