Forum Member

Default NEW Public Safety Testing TEST

Hello..has anyone out there taken the NEW version on PST written test yet? I heard they changed it in Nov '12. Is it similar to the old one of more like NTN?? What should I/we all study??

Forum Member

I have taken the new test administered from public safety and it is much more difficult. The first portion is scenario based and consists of 30 questions and allotted 45 mins. Then the next portion is the personality questions which are 120 questions with 30 mins to complete it. The last phase is 80 cognitive questions and the time limit is 2 hours. In the past, I was able to complete the fire exam in about an hour but this test will take up every minute of your time. Every single person in the room was scrambling to complete the exam when I left with 1 minute remaining. The study guide for the new fire exam can be purchased on the www.publicsafetytesting.com site under the store menu. The new test is no joke and very time consuming but just study and I am sure you will do just fine.

Forum Member

I took it a few days ago in Lynwood, WA. This was my very first test and I thought it was fairly difficult as we'll. I got a 77.34%. Won't get me an interview, but I know what to expect in 177 days and will be fully prepared to knock that score up. I am curious as to how much the personality questions are weighted in your score?.. You really have to be fast. There is no time for review on this one.

Forum Member

Took the new test for the third time and scored 80.65 yesterday, maybe I'm not smart enough to do this job. These test are set up to make money, period.

Forum Member

Here is some info I just received from PST, when I asked what the average test score was. "Passing for the written FF exam is 70%, we’re seeing an average around 76%." - Brian Lackas, Public Safety Testing
    Last edited by DBake5; 05-12-2014 at 11:54 PM.

Forum Member

This test is a freaking joke...I took it down in houston in June at for a low 70s and studied my *** off and just took it in lynnwood for a high 70s I'm convinced they don't grade them fair...
    I know I got most of the 80 cognitive right, and the only way to change my personity questions would be to say I'm a huge risk taker that doesn't like working in teams.

Forum Member

Does anybody know what score you need to get to move on with the departments?

Forum Member

Wondering the same thing. What kind score is getting people oral boards off this test?

Thread Information