Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Fire Inspector, Illinois Questions

My name is Jonathon Friday and through my countless hours of research and trying I have stumbled upon the website for Illinois Fire Inspectors. I realize that this may be a long shot but I had some questions that no one seems able or available to answer. I recently completed my Associates Degree in Fire Science that I had started in hopes of becoming a Fire Fighter. I was looking to spend some time in the field before looking to become a Fire Inspector because that is where my true passion lies but after the first year of schooling I was diagnosed with Reiter's Syndrome. It is easier to say it is reactive arthritis that will come and go for the rest of my life if not medicated (Which I am). So I could not, in good conscience, keep that information from a prospective department. What this e-mail boils down to is this:

I'm 26 with an Associates Degree, I was an excellent student and dreamed of becoming a Fire Inspector. I recently found that I could take some exams to become certified but I am having trouble believing that I could find employment as an inspector because I have no Fire Fighting experience outside of a classroom. With my Reiter's Syndrome I fear I've wasted a substantial length of time studying and becoming passionate about something I won't be given a chance to do because of my inability to be a Fire Fighter.

While speaking with the head of John Wood Community College's Fire Science Department he informed me that in order to be an inspector I would need to have several years of Fire Fighting experience under my belt first before I would even be considered. I truly hope that this isn't true, otherwise I'm staring at a useless degree that I had hoped very strongly to put to good use.

My grades,GPA, and teachers all reflect an excellent student with drive and passion for the Fire Service Industry. Any information you might be able to impart on me would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

You need to check with different depts in your state

Some you have to hire on as ff and get placed in prevention

Other depts will hire off the street and not have to be a ff

Other options are safety positions in companies , at hospitals, at universities

Also you can get a fire protection engineer degree and make some good money while it is still assoc with fire field

Forum Member

Jon,

Look into the insurance companies many have positions in the Loss Control Department or Loss Prevention that your skills can transfer. Also look at ISO they also have inspectors and would be considered an entry level position.

Good luck
    Fire Sprinklers Save Firefightersí Lives Too!

I know this is not what you want to hear, but since no one has offered.....

In my opinion, I truly believe that in order to make a good, effective fire inspector, one needs to have been a firefighter prior to being an inspector for at least several years, doing inspections at the company level under the tutelage of an experienced company officer or fire inspection division. I just dont see how anyone who has never picked up a hose can go do inspections and be good at it without the knowledge and experience required.

Have you considered Code Enforcement- become a building inspector/plans examiner?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information