Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default former marine w/emt/ff cert/ifsac seals lookin for work

Hey, I'm new to firehouse and the ff world. Recently graduated the fire academy, passed tcfp and also have ff1,ff2,hazmat awareness n ops ifsac seals. I also have my emt-b with almost 3 years exp as a emt, since the municipal jobs here are scarce, I figure with my military exp I could get an overseas, industrial job... Anyone have any pointers or job hints for me, I'd greatly appreciate the help. Im willing to go anywhere for work

You are a good candidate for overseas positions. Also, have you considered being a Federal Firefighter- for the DoD or another federal agency? Also dont rule out the VA at one of their larger facilities. Take a look at www.usajobs.com, do a "series" search of the 0081 job classification.

While your certs are nice, you could need more or less depending on the municipality or organization you are pursuing employment with. Many larger cities (mostly on the east coast) require NO certs whatsoever- you get trained in their training academies upon hiring. Other places may require more, or even college credit. You need to contact individual places or municipalities on your own and hear it from the horses mouth- NEVER rely on internet "hearsay" about hiring requirements.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    You are a good candidate for overseas positions. Also, have you considered being a Federal Firefighter- for the DoD or another federal agency? Also dont rule out the VA at one of their larger facilities. Take a look at www.usajobs.com, do a "series" search of the 0081 job classification.

While your certs are nice, you could need more or less depending on the municipality or organization you are pursuing employment with. Many larger cities (mostly on the east coast) require NO certs whatsoever- you get trained in their training academies upon hiring. Other places may require more, or even college credit. You need to contact individual places or municipalities on your own and hear it from the horses mouth- NEVER rely on internet "hearsay" about hiring requirements.
    Thanks a bunch for the info! I actually wanna work overseas b4 I come back home and apply to the city

Forum Member

Come on back to Tx

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp

Apply at depts that do not require paramedic, till you are able to obtain it

You normally need arff to work over seas

Read through the fed posts and overseas posts a few doors down
    Last edited by fire49; 01-08-2013 at 11:13 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Come on back to Tx

Apply at depts that do not require paramedic, till you are able to obtain it

You normally need arff to work over seas

Read through the fed posts and overseas posts a few doors down
    I'm still in Texas, I live in Beaumont. Jobs here are scarce, so was wanting some industrial overseas work b4 I try municipal

Forum Member

I think a ff looking for a job has a better chance getting hired in Tx then most other states, from posts of last year

If you check the web site, not to often someone is testing

And especially if you get paramedic cert, plus you will be back where you started , if you go overseas, having to test

Forum Member

I think a ff looking for a job has a better chance getting hired in Tx then most other states, from posts of last year

If you check the web site, not to often someone is testing

And especially if you get paramedic cert, plus you will be back where you started , if you go overseas, having to test
    i'll keep that in mind, im still waiting for austin to send me my certs, i'll more then likely still test in other cities while im waiting for overseas stuff to come through. ive been through school for my intermediate but never took my national registry, and that was a long time ago, so kinda screwed myself on that one, and i dont plan on gettin my paramedic b/c after working overseas for a while, when i get back home, im attending the university here for my BSN, i figure if i get my bachelors in nursing, paramedic would pretty much be a waste of a year of school you know...

Forum Member

Guess depends on ultimate goal

Firefighter

Ems

Nurse

There are bridge programs from paramedic to rn

Forum Member

Guess depends on ultimate goal

Firefighter

Ems

Nurse

There are bridge programs from paramedic to rn
    there are bridge programs, but if i went that route o wouldn't have my bsn, only rn... with the bachelors, u get paid a pretty decent amount more.. my ultimate goal is working municipal fire, and be a bsn @ a hospital in the ER

Forum Member

sounds like you are going the rn/bsn route. That will put you way out if you still want to be a firefighter.

But the at this time in the economy the rn money is great!!!!! so you will always have a job, unless the federal government takes over completly.

Forum Member

sounds like you are going the rn/bsn route. That will put you way out if you still want to be a firefighter.

But the at this time in the economy the rn money is great!!!!! so you will always have a job, unless the federal government takes over completly.
    yea, i mean i love ems, and i want to be a career ff, but i know the money in nursing is better, less stressful atmosphere, lower divorce rates etc.lol i also am interested in finding technical rescue jobs as well

Forum Member

well once you get your rn, become a flight nurse!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

well once you get your rn, become a flight nurse!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ive thought about that as well... i think u gotta be an rn for a while 1st, have some exp, or atleast have to know someone to hook u up with that job

Forum Member

Dallas Fire-Rescue is hiring right now, in my rookie class we had about 6 ex-military guys and 3 marines.

Forum Member

Check out dodfire.com and look under Jobs. Not sure how many of them require ARFF though. Still worth a look. Some of those contract jobs pay six figures. You could easily go over to the desert for a year or two, make bank, return home and go/pay for school and have enough dough in the bank to live and time to devote to study. PM me if you have any questions and good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by athletefirefighter View Post
    Dallas Fire-Rescue is hiring right now, in my rookie class we had about 6 ex-military guys and 3 marines.
    how and where do i apply for that?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by laciudad View Post
    Check out dodfire.com and look under Jobs. Not sure how many of them require ARFF though. Still worth a look. Some of those contract jobs pay six figures. You could easily go over to the desert for a year or two, make bank, return home and go/pay for school and have enough dough in the bank to live and time to devote to study. PM me if you have any questions and good luck!
    ya thats my ultimate plan, i want to work however long i need to, to make 6 fig's... and my schools free when i decide to enroll, and just like u said, i want enough money to not have to work while in school so i can focus 100% on studying and what not

Forum Member

Looks like you have a 1/19 dead line

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t125970/ (Dallas Fire Rescue - 2013)

Not sure what steps you are trying to take to reach your goal

Thought that the new va bill paid good, and especially if you attend a Tx state university

Is it tuition free in Tx??

Forum Member

Looks like you have a 1/19 dead line

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t125970/ (Dallas Fire Rescue - 2013)

Not sure what steps you are trying to take to reach your goal

Thought that the new va bill paid good, and especially if you attend a Tx state university

Is it tuition free in Tx??
    oh damn, yea my stuff wont be mailed to me by then... and yea, the VA is amazing! school will be 100% paid for, tuition, books, fee, etc... plus i'll get Bah allowance, so i'll actually pocket money while in school

Forum Member

so why aren't you going for the RN degree now, instead of looking for work???

Thread Information