Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bcjack

Thread: How long after you joined did u get full turnout and is it new

Forum Member

Arrow How long after you joined did u get full turnout and is it new

i was just wondering how long after you joined your dept. as a junior or explorer did you get full turnout gear and is it new also if u dont mind how old were you when you joined i myself got my gear around 3-4 weeks after i joined and it was used we recently got new helmets and boots and i was 14 when i joined been there 2 years this febuary.

as always stay #jumpseatready

Forum Member

I joined last March. Andgot fitted for mine this week. Had to finish fire school before I got new gear

Forum Member

I joined 2.5 years ago and I got it my first training as a junior. Now I'm a full certified member. Bits and pieces have been replaced. With the exception of my helmet and gear that I bought, none of it is new.

Forum Member

You have to attend 6 meeting in a row (3 months) to qualify for a visit to supply, uniforms as well as turnout is fitted there. It is another 3 months (6 total) before we get to ride out, while we use our turnouts and helmets in our own scenarios and therefore can get it earlier than our ride out time, none of the equipment issued is new. Standard turnout issue is: 1 Turnout Top, 1 Turnout Bottom, 1 Cairns 660 (must be re-painted blue by explorer), 1 set of structural fire boots, and 1 pair of structural fire gloves. As far as new stuff it it up to you, as long as its NFPA approved you can more than likely get it. A few guys are switching to the Cairns 880 Chicago style helmets to match the rest of the department. Flashlights and accessories are a matter of personal preference and therefore, personal cost as well.
    OPINIONS ARE MINE ALONE AND NOT ASSOCIATED WITH ANY ORGANIZATION I HAVE TIES TO.

Follow me for fire news all the time from the DFW Area @FireFocused on Twitter and Facebook as well as: TSM Fire Photography

Forum Member

When I first joined at 16 i got full turn out gear which includes Helmet, Coat, pants, Boots, Hood, and Rescue and Fire gloves

Forum Member

thats cool i got on about 2 years ago and got my gear after about 3 or 4 meetings about 3 weeks stay #jumpseatready

Forum Member

I joined in december a week before Christmas, and got my gear last Thursday, but don't have a pager yet.

Forum Member

At about $3,000 for a full set up, I would not be looking for NEW turnouts as a Jr. or Explorer.
    everyonegoeshome.com

Forum Member

I joined the one i am at now at the age of 16. I got used stuff at first until i got into my FF1 class. I know have brand new custom fit gear. Even has my name

Forum Member

nice man are you in nc

Forum Member

When I was an explorer it was totally dependent upon how much you put in to it. You would start out with just a dark blue post shirt along with your pants and boots. We try to push 3 months as the ideal time frame to get ride along certified. After completing a sign off sheet of 10 items as well as a written test you are eligible to get your light blue ride along uniform as well as turnouts. All the gear is used, but still in good condition. If you get lucky enough you could usually find some gear in great condition, along with the occasional dumping of new masks, flash hoods, and gloves. The point of the whole thing, appreciate whatever it is you get. Our post likes the motto, "You get out of it, what you put in to it", which I feel is pretty spot on.

Forum Member

When I joined up 4 years ago, I got fitted with the old black, expired gear. Firefighters wore tan so we could differentiate eachother

Forum Member

I was given gear once I finished EMT class and was accepted to recruit school for my region. A lot of departments in my area buy new gear and hook the rookies up with top notch stuff just in time for them to drop out of probie school. I started with used gear (one year from expiration), old rubber boots, and a 20 year old dozer style helmet. Once I finished recuit school and was a consistant member for a year, I recieved new gear.

Forum Member

I got my turnout gear after they finished background check and was accepted. The gear was practically new because we changed gear and was issued almost brand new stuff. The boots were a little older yet good condition and my helmet was brand new.

Forum Member

I had my first set of gear on my first day. It was old stuff from the 90's but when a firefighter my size got brand new gear, I got his, which is only a few years old. I bought my helmet myself.

Forum Member

The way it works at my department is when you join you get old gear to get by with training and after training is over you are put on a 90 day probation period and after that you get new custom fit full gear
    EDIT: the gear that you recieve is all tan with yellow strpes and it is janesville lion with drd
    Not a serial killer but I do keep a sharp knife!
    MY VIEWS DO NOT REFLECT those of my department or county.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information