Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: CAL Fire 2013

Forum Member

How are everyone's interviews going??

- Side note just received a letter from sonoma lake napa they will be offering jobs sometime next week for the coming season, GOODLUCK everyone!

Forum Member

I have recieved rank 1 for 3 units. And I have two interviews tomorrow. one in mendocino at 820 am and 1 for my unit ( Nevada Yuba Placer) at 4. So its going to be a busy day for sure.

How about you?

Forum Member

Rank 1 at one unit and rank 2 at another.

Forum Member

so far Ive ranked a 2 in 3 units and a 1 in one unit, I've got Santa Clara, and Fresno Kings left... anyone else interviewing for santa clara ?

Forum Member

negative. What unit did you get rank 1 in? some of the northern units already did there hiring from what I was told ( Siskiyou, tehama glen, shasta, amador el dorado)

Forum Member

Siskiyou already hired? I thought they were going to be a little later since they have a late fire season.

Forum Member

That's what I was told by a Captain of mine. His brother is one of the BC's in Siskiyou and they hired there people. Same with a couple of other units. I ranked #1 with Siskiyou but haven't heard anything. And I did station visits. Oh well.

Forum Member

I ended up with all 2's that I know of, wasn't told from a few units. I tried to do station visits before and after interviews but it looks like I struck out.
    I also applied to all the USFS locations in CA, but never heard back from any- was really hoping to catch on somewhere this summer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by goffaj View Post
    I ended up with all 2's that I know of, wasn't told from a few units. I tried to do station visits before and after interviews but it looks like I struck out.
    I also applied to all the USFS locations in CA, but never heard back from any- was really hoping to catch on somewhere this summer.
    The USFS hiring changed to a new system this year. I think it will be a good change in the future, but this time around was a major cluster while the bugs get worked out. We saw huge increases in applicants compared to past years which also put a strain on the system. It wasn't a good year to try and get a foot on the door either. I know on my forest there are far fewer vacancies than I've seen in many years, and talking with captains on other forests it is the same for many of them.

The Forest Service in California is well into their hiring for the summer. Most of the hiring on my forest is done, but I am still getting some reference checks from other forests so there must be some still in the process.

The Forest Service is just starting the career hiring for California though so there is potential for a secondary wave of seasonal hiring next month as positions get filled possibly creating additional seasonal vacancies. Some of the oher regions are just wrapping up their career hiring which also may have created some new vacancies.

If you haven't been offered a job with the Forest Service in California yet, the odds are not great, but I wouldn't quit knocking on doors just yet. A fair amount of late hiring gets done in April-June as people get other offers, or quit for other reasons.

Forum Member

Amadore already hired? that was fast, I ended up ranking 1's (?) in 3 units... I say that with a question because two of the units didn't "rank" people but we were scored according to a ranking system and I made sure to ask how I did before leaving (1-10, ten being a well thought out and answered question). FKU actually let us know our rank at the end of the interview and gave us a critique which was nice. My first 3 interviews however I ranked a 2 so we'll see and it definitely goes to show the more you practice the better you get. Lets all have some fun now and politic! ... Anyone still have any interviews left?

Forum Member

Yeah I was told they hired 20. And they said they were going to start hiring the week of interviews, that friday. A lot of units I interviewed with, gave reviews after. If you didn't rank 1, it was extremely hard to get hired, or you have to be in the top 50 just to be considered for employment ( Mendocino). It is tough, but still try for any unit, any department, if this is what you want. I am. Im going to Boise, ID early next year for the test.

I was wondering what test you are talking about? I was trying to get on with CAL-Fire or the Feds this year,but didn't get anything. So I'm starting to plan for next year. Any advice/tips? Thanks.

Forum Member

In Idaho, Boise City's website states they will be testing again in early 2014. They have it every two years and the last one was 2012. I couldnt make that one but will make it this time. The feds, last i heard from a buddy of mine whos trying to get picked up, they hired most people already but are still calling around to grab a couple more. He has 4 years on a hotshot crew and is a volunteer with CALFIRE, and hes still not getting picked up.

Heres a couple things to do to better prepare yourself:

Go through a State Fire Marshal Fire Academy ( In Sacramento they have 3 really good ones)

Become a volunteer/resident/reserve/ paid per call firefighter anywhere you can get on ( Experience is key and also counts as points on a CALFIRE app)

If you dont have your emt, GET IT. and If you do, work on getting your Paramedic. Everyone now a days are medics and will make the field that much harder to get hired.

If you want to work for CALFIRE, go to the unit you really want to work for, go to every station, meet everyone from Firefighter up to Battalion Chiefs, because when Captains and Chiefs pick people for seasonal the first people they ask are their crews to see if they liked you, they will all give you advice and its also politicing so when you do interviews next year, they already know you!

And if you live near a CALFIRE station ( contract county or not) see if they have a volunteer/ resident program and do that. You gain alot of knowledge from CALFIRE guys and looks great on a app.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
    FF14 likes this.

Cool! Thanks Gino_Galli. I will be starting my second semester of college in a couple of months and will be taking their EMT class that they are offering. As for a fire academy, I have found one near me that is highly recommend by my local fire department and I'm hoping I will be able to attend next year. The only problem is, the academy is not 100% sure if they offer everything that makes up the CAL Fire 67- hour cert. Do you know of any academys who offers the 67-hour cert? Sorry for the long post, I tried to PM you but it didn't work.

Forum Member

No worries. And in able for it to teach the CAL FIRE 69 hour basic wildland firefighter course, it needs to be taught by a CAL FIRE instructor ( Preferably a Chief, Captain, or Engineer for CAL FIRE). Whats the name of the academy? And I check this everyday, but I will give you my email since that goes straight to my phone.

Forum Member

This is to goffaj and to whoever else this may benefit. I just got picked up with Calfire this year after doing 14 interviews, with 16 invites. Next yr apply for every unit and visit the stations when you turn in your app, then again 2 weeks before the interview, and then again a few days after the interview. But for this season, My advice to you is to apply for ODF (Oregon Dept of Forestry) I worked up in Springfield, Oregon. Call and talk to Ken Rose he is the supervisor there. They usually have a lot of seasonal positions and if you are from out of state he will put you in stations where you live there for free during the summer. Season runs early June-Oct and they give you full benefits. Also I know of 3 units that hired out of their PCF program: El Dorado, SLO, and Fresno-Kings. I'm sure there were a lot more that did the same thing. I just turned down two job offers for the Forest Service and I've had at least 50 interest calls. Not sure if you applied for the right job announcements or not, but what I did was I got on Rita Yates (Wildland Firefighter Recruiter for Region 5) mailing list and she will send you every year the job announcements for the upcoming season. I've also worked for the forest service as well so that probably helped, but you have to start somewhere. I hope all this helped and good luck to everyone. Any questions you may have, feel free to ask.

Forum Member

What unit did you get hired? Congrats, I just got picked up by CALFIRE MEU ( Mendocino).

Forum Member

Just out of curiosity which units did you get job offers for, I was planning on calling the ones I ranked a 1 in to see if they had done their conditional offers ... one of which was fresno-kings, I just don't want to bug anyone =/

Forum Member

Did you go politic at the ones you ranked 1 in? From what I understand, most units have hired everyone or have the list on who they are going to hire ( matrix) and will be calling shortly.

I went to every station that was open, in every unit I ranked 1 in (4). I made sure everyone knew who I was, and was very interested. I haven't received any other offers from any other of the units I ranked 1 in. It may be too late to go politic now, but don't call because most of the papers after your interviews say please do not call.

Forum Member

Yeah I made sure to go out an politic a week before and up to a week after my interviews ... I ended up calling 2 units today and I spoke to a few people who didn't know and said its too late to apply and they already interviewed people, which I knew ... I think it's really just up to the hiring coordinator. A buddy of mine was called yesterday for a job in my home unit so I'm hoping the other southern units will also call soon.

Thread Information