Like Tree1Likes

Thread: CAL Fire 2013

Forum Member

Yeah I was told they hired 20. And they said they were going to start hiring the week of interviews, that friday. A lot of units I interviewed with, gave reviews after. If you didn't rank 1, it was extremely hard to get hired, or you have to be in the top 50 just to be considered for employment ( Mendocino). It is tough, but still try for any unit, any department, if this is what you want. I am. Im going to Boise, ID early next year for the test.

Forum Member

I was wondering what test you are talking about? I was trying to get on with CAL-Fire or the Feds this year,but didn't get anything. So I'm starting to plan for next year. Any advice/tips? Thanks.

Forum Member

In Idaho, Boise City's website states they will be testing again in early 2014. They have it every two years and the last one was 2012. I couldnt make that one but will make it this time. The feds, last i heard from a buddy of mine whos trying to get picked up, they hired most people already but are still calling around to grab a couple more. He has 4 years on a hotshot crew and is a volunteer with CALFIRE, and hes still not getting picked up.

Heres a couple things to do to better prepare yourself:

Go through a State Fire Marshal Fire Academy ( In Sacramento they have 3 really good ones)

Become a volunteer/resident/reserve/ paid per call firefighter anywhere you can get on ( Experience is key and also counts as points on a CALFIRE app)

If you dont have your emt, GET IT. and If you do, work on getting your Paramedic. Everyone now a days are medics and will make the field that much harder to get hired.

If you want to work for CALFIRE, go to the unit you really want to work for, go to every station, meet everyone from Firefighter up to Battalion Chiefs, because when Captains and Chiefs pick people for seasonal the first people they ask are their crews to see if they liked you, they will all give you advice and its also politicing so when you do interviews next year, they already know you!

And if you live near a CALFIRE station ( contract county or not) see if they have a volunteer/ resident program and do that. You gain alot of knowledge from CALFIRE guys and looks great on a app.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
    FF14 likes this.

Forum Member

Cool! Thanks Gino_Galli. I will be starting my second semester of college in a couple of months and will be taking their EMT class that they are offering. As for a fire academy, I have found one near me that is highly recommend by my local fire department and I'm hoping I will be able to attend next year. The only problem is, the academy is not 100% sure if they offer everything that makes up the CAL Fire 67- hour cert. Do you know of any academys who offers the 67-hour cert? Sorry for the long post, I tried to PM you but it didn't work.

Forum Member

No worries. And in able for it to teach the CAL FIRE 69 hour basic wildland firefighter course, it needs to be taught by a CAL FIRE instructor ( Preferably a Chief, Captain, or Engineer for CAL FIRE). Whats the name of the academy? And I check this everyday, but I will give you my email since that goes straight to my phone.

Forum Member

This is to goffaj and to whoever else this may benefit. I just got picked up with Calfire this year after doing 14 interviews, with 16 invites. Next yr apply for every unit and visit the stations when you turn in your app, then again 2 weeks before the interview, and then again a few days after the interview. But for this season, My advice to you is to apply for ODF (Oregon Dept of Forestry) I worked up in Springfield, Oregon. Call and talk to Ken Rose he is the supervisor there. They usually have a lot of seasonal positions and if you are from out of state he will put you in stations where you live there for free during the summer. Season runs early June-Oct and they give you full benefits. Also I know of 3 units that hired out of their PCF program: El Dorado, SLO, and Fresno-Kings. I'm sure there were a lot more that did the same thing. I just turned down two job offers for the Forest Service and I've had at least 50 interest calls. Not sure if you applied for the right job announcements or not, but what I did was I got on Rita Yates (Wildland Firefighter Recruiter for Region 5) mailing list and she will send you every year the job announcements for the upcoming season. I've also worked for the forest service as well so that probably helped, but you have to start somewhere. I hope all this helped and good luck to everyone. Any questions you may have, feel free to ask.

Forum Member

What unit did you get hired? Congrats, I just got picked up by CALFIRE MEU ( Mendocino).

Forum Member

Just out of curiosity which units did you get job offers for, I was planning on calling the ones I ranked a 1 in to see if they had done their conditional offers ... one of which was fresno-kings, I just don't want to bug anyone =/

Forum Member

Did you go politic at the ones you ranked 1 in? From what I understand, most units have hired everyone or have the list on who they are going to hire ( matrix) and will be calling shortly.

I went to every station that was open, in every unit I ranked 1 in (4). I made sure everyone knew who I was, and was very interested. I haven't received any other offers from any other of the units I ranked 1 in. It may be too late to go politic now, but don't call because most of the papers after your interviews say please do not call.

Forum Member

Yeah I made sure to go out an politic a week before and up to a week after my interviews ... I ended up calling 2 units today and I spoke to a few people who didn't know and said its too late to apply and they already interviewed people, which I knew ... I think it's really just up to the hiring coordinator. A buddy of mine was called yesterday for a job in my home unit so I'm hoping the other southern units will also call soon.

Forum Member

what is your home unit?

TCU and MMU I know hired people. Friends of mine got hired for both.

Forum Member

I live in TUU interviewed with mmu and fku (ranked a 2 in mmu so I wasn't expecting a call) but I'm still wondering about FKU Santa Clara and CZU I had a few friends interview in CZU and things are "still up in the air" there... I'm totally in the dark with santa clara though I only had one buddy of mine interview there and he hasn't heard anything yet either, and they called to schedule interviews so I have no clue who the hiring coordinator is or who to contact.

Forum Member

You can call headquarters and ask who the hiring coordinator is, or on the letter you got in mail for interviews, it should say on there or you can call whos ever name is on the letter. I know MEU starts in june, they already called their 24 guys and their season usually starts later than most. But units like NYP ( Nevada Yuba Placer) they have their hiring matrix but haven't called anyone yet. So call whoever you can to see. I got lucky and got picked up with MEU.

Forum Member

Default Calfire Hiring 2013

I got hired in the Humboldt-Del Norte Unit. Congrats to you too it was tough this year. I interviewed in FKU, Santa Clara, and MMU as well, ranked 1 in all 3 and got nothing. It was tough, I put about 10k miles on my car in 2 months, but the politicking paid off. They all did their hiring, but there is always a 2nd round of hiring. I would be on it if I were you or get in with PCF and then next yr you'll be good. Engineer Jorgenson is the hiring coordinator for the Santa Clara Unit. He is at the station is Clayton. For the other job offers I got were on for the FS, on the Modoc and the Angeles.

Forum Member

Congrats, I may see you on the big one. Yeah I have been a volunteer with a CALFIRE station ( Nevada Yuba Placer). It helps to put that on your application. And yes it was very tough, I too put a good couple thousand miles. I ranked 1 with several units and only heard from one. So if you don't get it this year, keep trying. It took me 5 years before finally getting picked up.

Forum Member

Default Czu

Yea I know CZU called a few guys already. I got a job with CZU along with a few of my buddies that are already volunteers in the county. I know that they are waiting to see what happens with the whole coastside contract in Halfmoon bay. It will be determined after tomorrow June 9th. That's when the recall for the board members is. So if the contract stays there should be some more positions in CZU so stay tuned with what's happening in coastside. I heard its effecting units all the way in the north. I interviewed with Humboldt and they said its affecting them all the way up there. So there could possibly be a few spots opening up here and there depending on what the outcome is. Thank god CZU called me and offered before Humboldt did. I would work anywhere but there's nothing better than working in your Home unit. Plus I heard once you accept your stuck with them, you can't turn them down and accept another offer?

Forum Member

Yea its taken me 4 years to even get a interview. If you don't get picked up this year definitely get on as a volunteer! If you have a county fire contract with CalFire around you that's your best option! Keep chugging away and continue your training and education because there's always room to improve and to make yourself more marketable!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFSB View Post
    I got hired in the Humboldt-Del Norte Unit. Congrats to you too it was tough this year. I interviewed in FKU, Santa Clara, and MMU as well, ranked 1 in all 3 and got nothing. It was tough, I put about 10k miles on my car in 2 months, but the politicking paid off. They all did their hiring, but there is always a 2nd round of hiring. I would be on it if I were you or get in with PCF and then next yr you'll be good. Engineer Jorgenson is the hiring coordinator for the Santa Clara Unit. He is at the station is Clayton. For the other job offers I got were on for the FS, on the Modoc and the Angeles.
    Thanks FFSB yeah I didn't know who to contact with santa clara since they called and didn't mail out letters! Will definitely try to get a hold of him this week and see if they have a second hiring going. I know when I was hired in 2010 the hiring coordinator called everyone at one time for both hirings but one ff found out maybe a week before the new hire academy sooo we will see I'm really crossing my fingers, oh and CONGRATS cal fire is definitely a great department to be with

Forum Member

either way, good luck and hopefully you hear soon.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gino_Galli View Post
    You can call headquarters and ask who the hiring coordinator is, or on the letter you got in mail for interviews, it should say on there or you can call whos ever name is on the letter. I know MEU starts in june, they already called their 24 guys and their season usually starts later than most. But units like NYP ( Nevada Yuba Placer) they have their hiring matrix but haven't called anyone yet. So call whoever you can to see. I got lucky and got picked up with MEU.
    NEU called their people 3 weeks ago. I know because I got picked up and have already received my medical packet.

Forum Member

Yeah I volunteer for NYP, and the training Captain for the unit whos our station captain, said they were deciding on who and how many they needed last Friday, and that this week is when they will make final decisions. Its a good unit to work for, the guys and ladies there are really cool and very helpful. Either way congrats on whatever unit you got picked up with.
    Last edited by Gino_Galli; 04-15-2013 at 07:29 PM.

Forum Member

NEU is Nevada Yuba Placer.

Forum Member

Yeah i know, they use both. NYP is on all of our wild land gear, while most engines have NEU on them. So technically can be considered either/or. NYP was the old initials a couple years ago and they changed it to make it like the rest of the units ( MMU, MEU, TCU,CZU, etc) The u means unit and a long time ago they kept saying NYP, but didn't have unit on apart of it. So when you work for this unit, don't be surprised if you hear both abbreviations. It confused me when I first started here.

Forum Member

Has anyone heard when their returnee academy is? Or when the season will start for the north? I know it started it the south for a few units. How about a station assignment?

Forum Member

I know for Mendocino the returnee academy starts May 16th. New hire academy is going to be around June 1st.

Thread Information