Like Tree1Likes

Thread: CAL Fire 2013

Forum Member

Ok. What have you done so far since you were offered the job? Just RPP and physical? Any other paperwork or info you found out?
    Last edited by SCCF_LPFR; 04-23-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Forum Member

RPP and Physical. But should be hearing at least a month before they need us to start. So any day should be hearing something.

Forum Member

Nevermind, figured out my question
    Last edited by StrengthBuilder; 12-10-2013 at 03:42 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

@StrengthBuilder - I would recommend you do the fire academy before doing your EMT. Especially if you don't already have the CAL FIRE basic firefighter cert, as most units do not put this class on anymore and you need it to get hired. Also most units do the required medical training as part of their new hire and returnee academy's. I hope this helps!
    www.wildlandfire.com
    Up To Date Wildland Fire Information

Forum Member

@StrengthBuilder - My goal is also to get on with Cal fire for the 2014 season if not the 2015 season. I will be working on becoming an EMT through my local community college starting in September. Where are you located? I have found a FF academy here in San Jose that includes the Cal fire 80 hour cert. They have an academy starting July. They meet Saturdays/Sunday with 2 weekend nights a month. It does require a little bit of driving because their training location is in Hollister. They have come highly recommended by some friends who work for the San Jose Fire Department.
    http://theacademy.ca.gov/flyer_details/node/3529.
    PM me if you have any questions.

Forum Member

@StrengthBuilder and @ FF14

I know most academies require you to have some sort of medical training. The academies up here in Sacramento, require you to possess an EMT-B before applying for the fire academy. I dont know how far you are willing to travel, but in Modesto, Abrams College does a EMT program every FRI SAT Sun from 8am-6pm ( even though its rare to stay until 6). And its those three days a week for 5 weeks. The instructor in charge of the program, Bob Strain, is a former Paramedic/Firefighter with Folsom Fire Dept, he has a lot of great personal stories, as well as, keywords to help you remember important key things to help with the NREMT. I remember when I took it, I dreaded driving an hour and a half every fri sat and sunday for 5 weeks. But after a while it really wasnt that bad. The only thing, is its $800 but well worth it if you need your emt fast in an accelerated program.

PM if you have any questions.

PS: I had my EMT when I got hired this year. But to get an interview with at least 5 or so units, you need AT LEAST: EMT, HAZMAT FRO, Confined Space Awareness, and the CAL FIRE 69 hour basic wildland firefighter cert. I am in the Mendocino unit, so if you have any questions or what not, feel free to hit me up.

Forum Member

I would do the fire academy for sure! Especially if you have your first responder! You only get 5 more points for being a EMT on your application. I'm almost done with the returnee academy in CZU then it's off to the races and our training captain said there's only a 5 point difference between EMT and EMR. By the way it Emergency Medical Responder not first responder. Good Luck!

Forum Member

@Gino_Galli: Thanks for the information. Question: So you got picked up with JUST your EMT none of the 69 hour, hazmat or confined space?

@SCCF_LPFR: I currently DO NOT have my Emergency First Responder yet. There is an academy that offers First responder in their academy up north (Shasta College Fire Academy). They do not require any medical certs to enter the academy accept healthcare CPR which I have already. This academy offers Haz Mats - DECON, Haz Mats - FRO, Haz Mats - WMD, along with 69 hour CalFire, first responder, fire control 1, 2 ,3, confined space rescue awareness and auto extrication and some others.

I am only able to do 1 semester of college at a time right now because I work for the Forest Service from May - October typically.

A part of me wants to just go get my EMT over with in spring of 2014 and try to apply for with CalFire for the 2014 season. Then if I don't get picked up, I would do another Forest service season, comeback and do my academy and have all the 69 hour CalFire etc for the 2015 CalFire season application.

How many points are the other boxes on the app worth? (The Calfire 67 hour, HAZMAT, Rescue awareness, First Responder etc)

Forum Member

@StrengthBuilder

I have my Emt-B, CALFIRE 69 hour basic wildland cert, HAZMAT FRO, confined space awareness. I have other certificates, including FF1, and almost done with my Bachelors of Science degree in Fire Science. I also volunteer for CALFIRE in roseville ( Its Placer County Fire, but in Co-op with CALFIRE). So that means we have fulltime and seasonal staff at the station all the time, as well as, CAL FIRE all over out gear, trucks, tshirts, etc). That helped a lot for sure.

Forum Member

I will still probably apply next year, even though I won't have the fire academy.
    Last edited by StrengthBuilder; 12-10-2013 at 03:45 AM.

Forum Member

Yeah definitely go through the academy. Some CAL FIRE contract counties put you through a volunteer academy once or twice a week ( I know ours did if you didnt have a FF 1) where you get your CAL FIRE 69 hour basic wild land, HAZMAT FRO, Confined Space Rescue Awareness. If you did that, and got your emt at the same time, you have a good shot on getting a interview somewhere for sure. My buddy just had EMT, Confined Space, HAZMAT FRO, and the 69 hour cert and got interviews in Tehama Glenn, Humboldt, Mendocino, Amador El Dorado. He didnt apply to all northern, and no southern units. So you never know, but the more you can get, the better off you are.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gino_Galli View Post
    I know for Mendocino the returnee academy starts May 16th. New hire academy is going to be around June 1st.
    Hey did you start the academy already I know you wrote June -but just curious with the way the fire season has started... had a few questions about your units re-hire/new hire academy.

Forum Member

No the rehires did there academy last week, new hire academy is June 10th. Thats when I start. What did you want to know about the academy? I know a couple guys who just went through the rehire one.

Forum Member

The rehires got called in earlier. The new hire academy is June 10th. What did you want to know about the academy? I had a couple friends who just went through out rehire academy.

Forum Member

We are starting the new hire academy June 10th. The returnees had thiers last week. What questions did you have? I had a couple buddies go through the returnee academy.

Forum Member

Skills testing... I know some units do some different variations of the skills testing down here they did the progressive hose lay as an un-timed event just curious if they are doing that in any of the units up north, also are they using wajax or cotton hose and are they enforcing the pull at the hip method or are they allowing them to do the standard over the shoulder? oh and on the 20 ft ladder what are they doing for the shorter people who physically cant extend the last rung due to height? I know over here they waived it for some people but I'm 5'3 and I'm not working down south this year

Forum Member

I will check for you. The hose is probably wajax, they havent used cotton in a while. From what I heard, Progressive hoselays, they are starting to get rid of the one person progressive hoselay and going to two or three person, so it may not be timed. As for the ladder, I would assume, if height wont let you extend to the last rung, I am sure they wont count that against you. The over the hip method is the new method, but I believe over the shoulder is way easier. I think it will be over the hip though. I will try and find out, and keep you posted.

Forum Member

yeah some units still use cotton for testing purposes I know in my ff1&2, 67 and new hire we used cotton but I heard lake napa is using wajax and the over the hip method -- something I'll definitely have to practice but yeah let me know what you find out, thanks gino!

Forum Member

yeah definitely. Our new hire academy got bumped up to June 3rd.

Forum Member

We start the 27th for LNU

Forum Member

...late hire/new hire academy

MembersZone Subscriber

Also LNU is going to peak staffing this Monday the 20th.
    www.wildlandfire.com
    Up To Date Wildland Fire Information

Forum Member

Nice. Yeah from what I was told, over the hip and over the shoulder can be considered correct, it just depends on who you are doing it with. If you can practice both, I did last night at my volunteer station training and its not a big difference. But the CALFIRE paid staff at my volunteer station ( Its a CALFIRE contract county- Nevada Yuba Placer) they were saying do whats comfortable for you, but over the shoulder you can slip and lose the hose and knock out your teeth. So keep that in mind.

Forum Member

Yeah I also tried with my volunteer station... I've always done over the shoulder but the hip method wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I also forgot to put in the tee at 200 feet lol hopefully I don't forget next time!

Forum Member

yeah our hose packs already have tee's on them every 100 ft. That way, we never forget and we can connect more lines if needed.

Thread Information