Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: CAL Fire 2013

Forum Member

what is your home unit?

TCU and MMU I know hired people. Friends of mine got hired for both.

Forum Member

I live in TUU interviewed with mmu and fku (ranked a 2 in mmu so I wasn't expecting a call) but I'm still wondering about FKU Santa Clara and CZU I had a few friends interview in CZU and things are "still up in the air" there... I'm totally in the dark with santa clara though I only had one buddy of mine interview there and he hasn't heard anything yet either, and they called to schedule interviews so I have no clue who the hiring coordinator is or who to contact.

Forum Member

You can call headquarters and ask who the hiring coordinator is, or on the letter you got in mail for interviews, it should say on there or you can call whos ever name is on the letter. I know MEU starts in june, they already called their 24 guys and their season usually starts later than most. But units like NYP ( Nevada Yuba Placer) they have their hiring matrix but haven't called anyone yet. So call whoever you can to see. I got lucky and got picked up with MEU.

Forum Member

Default Calfire Hiring 2013

I got hired in the Humboldt-Del Norte Unit. Congrats to you too it was tough this year. I interviewed in FKU, Santa Clara, and MMU as well, ranked 1 in all 3 and got nothing. It was tough, I put about 10k miles on my car in 2 months, but the politicking paid off. They all did their hiring, but there is always a 2nd round of hiring. I would be on it if I were you or get in with PCF and then next yr you'll be good. Engineer Jorgenson is the hiring coordinator for the Santa Clara Unit. He is at the station is Clayton. For the other job offers I got were on for the FS, on the Modoc and the Angeles.

Forum Member

Congrats, I may see you on the big one. Yeah I have been a volunteer with a CALFIRE station ( Nevada Yuba Placer). It helps to put that on your application. And yes it was very tough, I too put a good couple thousand miles. I ranked 1 with several units and only heard from one. So if you don't get it this year, keep trying. It took me 5 years before finally getting picked up.

Forum Member

Default Czu

Yea I know CZU called a few guys already. I got a job with CZU along with a few of my buddies that are already volunteers in the county. I know that they are waiting to see what happens with the whole coastside contract in Halfmoon bay. It will be determined after tomorrow June 9th. That's when the recall for the board members is. So if the contract stays there should be some more positions in CZU so stay tuned with what's happening in coastside. I heard its effecting units all the way in the north. I interviewed with Humboldt and they said its affecting them all the way up there. So there could possibly be a few spots opening up here and there depending on what the outcome is. Thank god CZU called me and offered before Humboldt did. I would work anywhere but there's nothing better than working in your Home unit. Plus I heard once you accept your stuck with them, you can't turn them down and accept another offer?

Forum Member

Yea its taken me 4 years to even get a interview. If you don't get picked up this year definitely get on as a volunteer! If you have a county fire contract with CalFire around you that's your best option! Keep chugging away and continue your training and education because there's always room to improve and to make yourself more marketable!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFSB View Post
    I got hired in the Humboldt-Del Norte Unit. Congrats to you too it was tough this year. I interviewed in FKU, Santa Clara, and MMU as well, ranked 1 in all 3 and got nothing. It was tough, I put about 10k miles on my car in 2 months, but the politicking paid off. They all did their hiring, but there is always a 2nd round of hiring. I would be on it if I were you or get in with PCF and then next yr you'll be good. Engineer Jorgenson is the hiring coordinator for the Santa Clara Unit. He is at the station is Clayton. For the other job offers I got were on for the FS, on the Modoc and the Angeles.
    Thanks FFSB yeah I didn't know who to contact with santa clara since they called and didn't mail out letters! Will definitely try to get a hold of him this week and see if they have a second hiring going. I know when I was hired in 2010 the hiring coordinator called everyone at one time for both hirings but one ff found out maybe a week before the new hire academy sooo we will see I'm really crossing my fingers, oh and CONGRATS cal fire is definitely a great department to be with

Forum Member

either way, good luck and hopefully you hear soon.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gino_Galli View Post
    You can call headquarters and ask who the hiring coordinator is, or on the letter you got in mail for interviews, it should say on there or you can call whos ever name is on the letter. I know MEU starts in june, they already called their 24 guys and their season usually starts later than most. But units like NYP ( Nevada Yuba Placer) they have their hiring matrix but haven't called anyone yet. So call whoever you can to see. I got lucky and got picked up with MEU.
    NEU called their people 3 weeks ago. I know because I got picked up and have already received my medical packet.

Forum Member

Yeah I volunteer for NYP, and the training Captain for the unit whos our station captain, said they were deciding on who and how many they needed last Friday, and that this week is when they will make final decisions. Its a good unit to work for, the guys and ladies there are really cool and very helpful. Either way congrats on whatever unit you got picked up with.
    Last edited by Gino_Galli; 04-15-2013 at 07:29 PM.

Forum Member

NEU is Nevada Yuba Placer.

Forum Member

Yeah i know, they use both. NYP is on all of our wild land gear, while most engines have NEU on them. So technically can be considered either/or. NYP was the old initials a couple years ago and they changed it to make it like the rest of the units ( MMU, MEU, TCU,CZU, etc) The u means unit and a long time ago they kept saying NYP, but didn't have unit on apart of it. So when you work for this unit, don't be surprised if you hear both abbreviations. It confused me when I first started here.

Forum Member

Has anyone heard when their returnee academy is? Or when the season will start for the north? I know it started it the south for a few units. How about a station assignment?

Forum Member

I know for Mendocino the returnee academy starts May 16th. New hire academy is going to be around June 1st.

Forum Member

Ok. What have you done so far since you were offered the job? Just RPP and physical? Any other paperwork or info you found out?
    Last edited by SCCF_LPFR; 04-23-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Forum Member

RPP and Physical. But should be hearing at least a month before they need us to start. So any day should be hearing something.

Forum Member

Nevermind, figured out my question
    Last edited by StrengthBuilder; 12-10-2013 at 03:42 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

@StrengthBuilder - I would recommend you do the fire academy before doing your EMT. Especially if you don't already have the CAL FIRE basic firefighter cert, as most units do not put this class on anymore and you need it to get hired. Also most units do the required medical training as part of their new hire and returnee academy's. I hope this helps!
    www.wildlandfire.com
    Up To Date Wildland Fire Information

@StrengthBuilder - My goal is also to get on with Cal fire for the 2014 season if not the 2015 season. I will be working on becoming an EMT through my local community college starting in September. Where are you located? I have found a FF academy here in San Jose that includes the Cal fire 80 hour cert. They have an academy starting July. They meet Saturdays/Sunday with 2 weekend nights a month. It does require a little bit of driving because their training location is in Hollister. They have come highly recommended by some friends who work for the San Jose Fire Department.
    http://theacademy.ca.gov/flyer_details/node/3529.
    PM me if you have any questions.

Thread Information