+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 First ... 2345
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: CAL Fire 2013

Forum Member

I had my first interview this season (AEU) after three seasons applying with units in the North. I've been following this thread and have found all the information very helpful.

AEU didn't use the 1-3 scoring for their interviews...is this standard for AEU? I didn't get picked up this season but looking forward to next year.
    Last edited by jhall; 06-25-2013 at 12:53 AM.

Forum Member

That is common for a couple units. It sucks because you don't know what to work on. I got picked up with Mendocino, and the guys and girls I work with are super cool. I've heard bad stories about AEU but don't know anything for sure just word of mouth. It took me 5 years before I got picked up. Apply anywhere and everywhere. I would start politicing now for the unit you want to work in. The more they see now, then when interviews come, they may know you better. If you want to come up to Mendocino county and meet our crew, feel free to ask. We are on the coast, not too many fires but your right next to the pacific ocean which is nice during the summer.

Anyways, good luck. And if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Forum Member

Thanks Gino,

Yeah, it caught me off guard to leave the interview without a ranking. Now I've heard both sides to politicing Units/stations. Two units in the north asked candidates not to stop by stations before or during the seasonal hiring process (stated in pre/post interview letters). Then I've heard from others, yourself included that it's all about getting your face out there to the Units and crews. Thank you for the invite to Mendocino Unit, that would be a big help.

Justin

Forum Member

Yeah no problem. I met this Captain 3 years ago, I asked him what certificates I needed to get hired. He told me, and I did what he asked, and kept in contact with him once a month. All i needed during the interview was a 9 or higher. I got a 9.6, and the Captain saw my name when it came down to pick new hires and he picked me. So I saw politic when you can just not during interviews. I recommend doing now but call the station first before randomly showing up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jhall View Post
    I had my first interview this season (AEU) after three seasons applying with units in the North. I've been following this thread and have found all the information very helpful.

AEU didn't use the 1-3 scoring for their interviews...is this standard for AEU? I didn't get picked up this season but looking forward to next year.
    What qualifications did you have at the time of your most recent interview? (Experience, Certifications, education)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galatia View Post
    I just got my letter from shasta-trinity. Only certs they want to see at the interview are "wildland, medical and hazardous materials certificates". ie 67, emt, fro.

Any advice on the interviews or what type of questions are asked? They also mention that they are only offering interviews one day.
    Is it normal to get a letter or a call? What did the letter say? Did you get the job?

Forum Member

You will get a letter for your scheduled time for your interview. Then you will need to go to your interview, and then you will either get a letter in the mail or phone call( mostly phone call) to inform you if you received a position with CALFIRE. All units will not let you know if you didnt get a job so keep that in mind.

AS for interviews, bring resume and cover letter. They will ask scenario based questions. I am unable to tell you what questions but out of the states bank of 20 questions they pull from, I have 15 of them.

Forum Member

Interviews dont start until March until end of April. You will not get a letter from every unit saying that you did or did not get a interview so be warned. They only send them out if you have a interview( or two units Sonoma Lake Napa and Santa Clara will send thanks but no thanks letters). It takes patience. If you did not receive one by April, then you probably will not be getting one because they were not hiring to whatever unit you applied for or you did not meet their qualifications. You have to be more then just 18 to get a interview. You need HAZMAT FRO, Confined SPace Awareness, CAL FIRE 69 hour basic wildland firefighter, and EMT just to get a interview with a few units.

Forum Member

Actually a lot of units just sent out interview letters. Two buddys got letter from Nevada Yuba Placer, Eldorado and TGU.

I just got my letter for Lassen-Modoc-plumas unit today interview is Feb. 24.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gino_Galli View Post
    Interviews dont start until March until end of April. You will not get a letter from every unit saying that you did or did not get a interview so be warned. They only send them out if you have a interview( or two units Sonoma Lake Napa and Santa Clara will send thanks but no thanks letters). It takes patience. If you did not receive one by April, then you probably will not be getting one because they were not hiring to whatever unit you applied for or you did not meet their qualifications. You have to be more then just 18 to get a interview. You need HAZMAT FRO, Confined SPace Awareness, CAL FIRE 69 hour basic wildland firefighter, and EMT just to get a interview with a few units.
    Just what I heard, but rumor has it a bunch of guys on the San Bernardino NF got picked up as perm. Cal Fire, Thats why there's about 20 open apprenticeship spots on the BDF.. I highly doubt they had Cal Fire's Wildland Academy.. Ever hear of this?

Forum Member

They may have had it somewhere else before they went to NF such as fire academy. I know they just opened the application process for firefighter 2 which is a perm firefighter about two weeks ago. So they have yet to do interviews unless down south is doing something different. But I know I applied and was told I wont hear from all 21 units until after the deadline.

As for interviews, they are starting Interviews earlier. When I did interviews it was march or april. I go back to mendo in april my paperwork says.

Forum Member

Permanent hiring is different from temp hiring. It slowed way down when the economy crashed and Calfire hiring took a nose dive, but the USFS was bleeding employees to Calfire 2003-2007. Lost a bunch of captains, hotshot superintendents and even BCs to them when they had their open captains list.

Haven't seen too many jump ship since 2007.

Forum Member

Yeah Cal fire hasn't hired too many permanent staff in a few years, this year they are expected to hire quite a bit from what I was told. So should be interesting to see in the next couple months.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 First ... 2345

Thread Information