Forum Member

Default Does Chicago Fire Department promote EMTs and Paramedics to Firefighters?

I was wondering if Chicago Fire EMS promotes their emts and paramedics to their fire department with a promo exam like FDNY?

Forum Member

Yes...but only Paramedics (Chicago FD EMS only staffs ALS ambulances medic/medic; their BLS ambulances are FF/EMTs who get detailed there).

But don't join expecting to transfer over in a year or two....it's a much longer process than with FDNY. Chicago only tests once every 10-ish years, and obviously academies are dependent on the test.

Forum Member

It's worth noting, too, that there's no exam to cross over to firefighter from being a single-role medic. You just have to be on the firefighter eligibility list and if so, you put yourself on the paramedic cross-over list which is a list of current single-role paramedics that have put in to cross over to fire. A minimum of 10% (I believe) of every firefighter class at the academy has to consist of paramedics off of the crossover list.

Forum Member

good to know thanks for the replies. I'm about 3 months away from finishing my paramedic license.
    Does Chicago accept National registry paramedics? if not, is it hard to get reciprocity in Illinois?
    what other requirements does Chicago have for paramedics?
    Last edited by dromm007; 01-10-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Forum Member

Ah, "Chicago Fire" has lured yet another person in to the unrealistic world of Hollywood fire service. No promiscuous, highly attractive females waiting to be your partner until your crossover comes. Best of luck to you if you seriously choose to pursue it though.

MembersZone Subscriber

Illinois Accepts National registry. Also the state of Illinois excepts State to state reciprocity as long as you are in good standing with your state and have had an up to date refresher.

This is a good link to explore on reciprocity.
    http://www.emt-resources.com/emt-reciprocity.html

Forum Member

CFD usually requires an Illinois license to apply and most agencies here do as well so looking into reciprocity is your best bet. It's a pretty painless process, I did it when I moved back here a couple of years ago.

Side note, it'll likely be a few years before CFD opens up the paramedic list again. They just created a new list in May of 2011 and have yet to hire off of it so it'll be a while.

Forum Member

no, chicago fire is a a horribly cheezy show that tops pretty much any other fire show ive seen/ ive been working on getting a fulltime fire job since 2008. still trying now after getting a 2 year degree and almost 3 years of fire/ems experience and just about to finish my 2 year medic degree. looked at fdny ems and lateral transfer to fire route, and their process is well laid out, but CFD website has zero helpful information, other than info about the 1995 test which gives me nothing. EMS transfer to fire is the pretty much the only chance a non-veteran, non-resident has of getting hired without a perfect score, that even a perfect score stands a small chance. a lot better chance at getting hired as a medic since you basically need to get a degree now to get certified to be hired and not just be an 18 year old with a GED who isnt a felon.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dromm007 View Post
    no, chicago fire is a a horribly cheezy show that tops pretty much any other fire show ive seen/ ive been working on getting a fulltime fire job since 2008. still trying now after getting a 2 year degree and almost 3 years of fire/ems experience and just about to finish my 2 year medic degree. looked at fdny ems and lateral transfer to fire route, and their process is well laid out, but CFD website has zero helpful information, other than info about the 1995 test which gives me nothing. EMS transfer to fire is the pretty much the only chance a non-veteran, non-resident has of getting hired without a perfect score, that even a perfect score stands a small chance. a lot better chance at getting hired as a medic since you basically need to get a degree now to get certified to be hired and not just be an 18 year old with a GED who isnt a felon.
    Residency has zero bearing on anything to do with hiring with CFD, nor does your test score. The written exam is now pass/fail and the order of the eligibility list is based simply on the last digit of the SSN's of all those who passed. You literally have no way to distinguish yourself and make yourself more qualified. The only time residency comes into play is once hired and starting the academy you have to be a city resident. Where you live before that has no effect on your hiring status.

Forum Member

are you talking about the fire exam or paramedic exam?
    and I'm assuming then the numbers are ordered numerically?

Forum Member

I was referring to the fire exam. There is no paramedic exam.

Thread Information