Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: KCMO Fire Hiring Process

MembersZone Subscriber

It's just one test. The city has used a computer-based civil service exam for a few years. You get an appointment time, take a pass/fail exam on a computer. If you pass, the city will notify you of interviews. There are usually 2 separate interviews: a scenario-based recorded interview which is graded by an outside entity that I THINK is pass/fail, then an interview with department and city personnel which I THINK determines your rank. At some point preference points for residency and veteran status get added in. That is new, so I have no idea how it will work. I'm just a rank and file employee, with no special knowledge of how things work.

It is normal for the process to take several months before a list is established and you are given your results. BE PATIENT. City government moves at a very slow pace, especially in cities the size of KC and larger.

CAVEAT: the process can change, it is a lot different now than when I took it and it is subject to change at the whims of the city, the department and the courts.
    Last edited by chingon; 01-23-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks chingon for the reply.

Forum Member

Bumping this up for the KC brothers to see and share info. Hope you KCFD guys are all safe with the accident at JJ's and all this snow we're getting pounded with right now.

Forum Member

still havent heard from the Medic process yet... anyone that went through it know anything? Is there a list or has anyone been hired?

Forum Member

Chingon
    I see that preference is given to medics, residents, and vets, if you are both a vet and medic do you think this will "double" your preference points and move you up higher on the list? Just curious as to how this may work out for me. I know you probably don't work in human resources and can't answer that question, but I though it was worth a shot. I'd appreciate your opinion on the matter.

Forum Member

Have they hired Medics yet?! It's been about 3 months since the test and interviews.

Forum Member

I don't know doubled, I took computer based fire exam this week, haven't heard anything about the medics only process though sorry man

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by AirforcefireAir View Post
    Chingon
    I see that preference is given to medics, residents, and vets, if you are both a vet and medic do you think this will "double" your preference points and move you up higher on the list? Just curious as to how this may work out for me. I know you probably don't work in human resources and can't answer that question, but I though it was worth a shot. I'd appreciate your opinion on the matter.
    I'm not really sure. This is the first time the department has ever hired this way, so I'm sometimes as surprised as anyone. It sounds like there is not a "points" system, but rather that at least residents, and probably medics and vets too, are being given a "first-chance" before others test. I would strongly suggest you call HR with any questions, though, because I don't want to give you bum dope.

Sorry for the delay in replying. Looks like you are already testing, so maybe you know more by now...

Good luck. Stay the course. This is an excellent job and a great fire department.

Thread Information