Forum Member

Default Paramedic and Firefighting skills evaluation/testing for a Fire Dept...

I have currently applied for a department that provides a paramedic skills evaluation portion, as well as a fire fighting skills assessment in their hiring process. This will be my first evaluation of my paramedic/firefighting skills in a testing process with a Fire Department. Im looking to see if anyone has any advice or study tips I should focus on in order to be successful. I have tried searching the forums for this kind of post and have had no such luck. Thank you everyone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paramedic217 View Post
    I have currently applied for a department that provides a paramedic skills evaluation portion, as well as a fire fighting skills assessment in their hiring process. This will be my first evaluation of my paramedic/firefighting skills in a testing process with a Fire Department. Im looking to see if anyone has any advice or study tips I should focus on in order to be successful. I have tried searching the forums for this kind of post and have had no such luck. Thank you everyone.
    There should be something in the announcement that tells you what you will be tested on.

In my experience EMS skills are tested on basic state / national standards (ACLS Megacode, patient assessment etc) rather than local protocol so as not to give advantage to locals. Other than test stress this should be pretty easy if you are a working medic or recent graduate.
    I would check for protocol elements though, not as common but certainly fair game.

One bit of advice here, don't get fancy, stick to basics like you are back in school even if you might do things a little different in the field. Testing is usually done by a strict checklist with little room for evaluator descretion.

Firefighter skills could be anything, and honestly I haven't seen that done very often. I would expect they would give you a list of events and would expect to see things like timed SCBA donning, roof ladder carry, starting a chain saw / circ saw, ropes & knots, preparing equipment for hoisting etc. The basic stuff every rookie should be able to do at any fire.

It sounds like you are just in the application process as I would expect detailed info to be provided before you are tested. As far as what to study? I would look at the basics and your own weaknesses.

Forum Member

I know besides the written ff test our city gives a written test only, directly after the ff written.

Sorry do not know what is on it.

Forum Member

Ive administered both in Utah. The paramedic portion was broken into skills stations. We did a mega code following a vfib/vtac tree. Static cardiology, view and name 5 rhythms, then what treatment would be. Drug dose and contraindication chart, and finally a quick oral interview.

Our fire test was the CPAT which is approved by IAFF as well as IAFC.

Good luck.

Forum Member

misspoke since we require paramedic not additional testing is done besides the ff written

Forum Member

Its very vital to hire right person for the right job specially for those concerning with peoples life.Hiring of paramedics for firefighting needs a critical evaluation.The interviewer must be fresh mind before going for the hiring process.I am an interviewer and I take a deep sleep before going to start this hiring process.This is all due to my foam mattress that I used for my deep sleep.Its just an experience of my life with I think that its good to share with you guys.Thanks.

Thread Information