Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Gold leaf helmet fronts

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53 View Post
    Fine, be scared about your job and be fearful about how everything may be portrayed to the public. That is not me.

Do I want us portrayed in a positive manner? Of course, but I am not going to be fearful about how a front-piece is perceived. Anybody that would get torqued around about a gold-leaf front piece would most likely find something else to get bent out of shape over if I didn't wear one.
    If you don't realize that in this day and age and economy that you HAVE to think about things like that, well, glad I don't work with you.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    If you don't realize that in this day and age and economy that you HAVE to think about things like that, well, glad I don't work with you.
    Consider the feeling mutual.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a plain white one here. Couldn't afford gold leaf and I think I'd feel a little silly if I did have it, but that might just be because of my 20+ years as a line guy!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    Earlier I said I had only sold gold leaf fronts for presentation helmets. That is still the case but, my specialty has always been apparatus. I have sold a ton of gold leaf on apparatus. Never even gave it a thought. Without gold (or silver, in some cases) it really isn't a fire truck. Years ago a lot of departments had their preferred guy and we had to contract it out to only him.
    I wouldn't mind seeing the gold leaf come back on many of the trucks. However, a lot of us don't have/can't justify spending the money on it, especially in stretched urban departments. I can assure you, they are still real fire trucks though. Those engines pump more water and lay more hose than any guilded garage queen. Having said that though, if they put gold leaf and the bells back on the apparatus tomorrow I'd be more than happy.

Thread Information