MembersZone Subscriber

Default Question regarding tanker app.

We have applied for two years now to replace our 35 year old tanker. We got turned down last year but we havent received any news this year. We took it out on a fire the other night after we get back to the station we notice that water is pouring out of the gear box on the pump, we let a mechanic look at it and he believes the pump needs rebuilding. This is a potential $10,000 repair to rebuild the pump. We know that if we get turned down through afg we have to find a way to get the money to either repair the truck which is very dangerous to drive (3,000 gallon tank with limited baffling) or find a way to purchase a new or used truck. My question is that should i call afg and let them know that this truck is possibly gonna be permanatly out of service or do i just wait and see how the app turns out im not sure it would make any difference me telling them its down. What do the experts think?

Forum Member

I have a similar problem. I posted the question a few weeks ago and was advised that there is nothing you can do for this round to change any outcome. Your best bet is get ready for the next period and hope it works out. Good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bartonff201 View Post
    We have applied for two years now to replace our 35 year old tanker. We got turned down last year but we havent received any news this year. We took it out on a fire the other night after we get back to the station we notice that water is pouring out of the gear box on the pump, we let a mechanic look at it and he believes the pump needs rebuilding. This is a potential $10,000 repair to rebuild the pump. We know that if we get turned down through afg we have to find a way to get the money to either repair the truck which is very dangerous to drive (3,000 gallon tank with limited baffling) or find a way to purchase a new or used truck. My question is that should i call afg and let them know that this truck is possibly gonna be permanatly out of service or do i just wait and see how the app turns out im not sure it would make any difference me telling them its down. What do the experts think?
    Jerry,

How ya been. Its been 4-5 years since you and I have talked last; way back when I was with Chief. Unfortunately nothing you can do or say at this point that will get them to tell you if you are going to get the truck or not; you have to wait it out like all the rest of us.

Give me a shout Jerry 863-551-9598
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Yea my only issue with that is that if you have a truck out of service for a long period of time ive heard that afg would look at it like youve been suviving this long without it so you really dont need it. If i were to wait for next year i could get thrown into that category. Im not 100% on that information but thats what ive heard.
    This truck has been extremely vital to our organization and im praying that we can replace it through afg thats the only way we remotely have a chance of getting another truck. Theres no way we can afford it on our own.

Forum Member

It sounds like you have the right criteria to score well with a tanker application.
    [age of unit, large unbaffled tank, poor mechanical condition] Time to have some others read your app and see where you might be going wrong.
    Remember " a vehicle application need to be an AAAAA++ effort to even get by the computer scoring.any small error or not answering the right questions make it hard to get to peer.
    I reviewed an app for a dept that had tried 4 times to get their 30 yr converted tanker replaced. Found a couple small errors and changed a few sentences in their narrative. They got first round last year.
    Having an outside set of eyes read your app is always a good thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    It sounds like you have the right criteria to score well with a tanker application.
    [age of unit, large unbaffled tank, poor mechanical condition] Time to have some others read your app and see where you might be going wrong.
    Remember " a vehicle application need to be an AAAAA++ effort to even get by the computer scoring.any small error or not answering the right questions make it hard to get to peer.
    I reviewed an app for a dept that had tried 4 times to get their 30 yr converted tanker replaced. Found a couple small errors and changed a few sentences in their narrative. They got first round last year.
    Having an outside set of eyes read your app is always a good thing.

ED, got your snow shovel handy? Headed up in your direction (N Attleborough, MA) Wed- Sat so thought I should forewarn you to be prepared!LOL
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    ED, got your snow shovel handy? Headed up in your direction (N Attleborough, MA) Wed- Sat so thought I should forewarn you to be prepared!LOL
    We will be feeling the impact of the "Snowman" cometh tonight into tomorrow. Up to a foot on the coast possible. Thanks Kurt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    We will be feeling the impact of the "Snowman" cometh tonight into tomorrow. Up to a foot on the coast possible. Thanks Kurt.
    Yep Andy the "Iceman" is headed that way. Had to go dig out my L.L. Bean flannel-lined jeans for this trip and the full parka with gloves and boots. Not relishing the 16 degree highs predicted at all but, you know me; neither rain, nor snow nor gloom of night shall stay this instructor from his scheduled classes!LOL
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Kurt: this kind of weather requires fleece lined jeans. The flannels are only good down to 10 degrees.
    Knew there was a reason for this bitter sub zero temps.
    The ICEMAN COMETH :-}
    last night was the coldest we've seen since 2007. -11 below here on the coast.
    Ed

MembersZone Subscriber

Kurt: this kind of weather requires fleece lined jeans. The flannels are only good down to 10 degrees.
    Knew there was a reason for this bitter sub zero temps.
    The ICEMAN COMETH :-}
    last night was the coldest we've seen since 2007. -11 below here on the coast.
    Ed
    Yes and it was 1 degree here this morning... I feel like an ice sculpture here.LOL
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

nothing personal kurt.
    Go back home to Florida !!!!

We had mid 50's for 3 days last week, this week has topped out at <20 degrees in the daytime.Plus the winds have been howling at 40 +

MembersZone Subscriber

nothing personal kurt.
    Go back home to Florida !!!!

We had mid 50's for 3 days last week, this week has topped out at <20 degrees in the daytime.Plus the winds have been howling at 40 +
    I would like nothing better Ed.Really starting to worry that I may not get out tomorrow since snow predicted tonight and Sat but latest forecast at 5:00MA indicates less than an inch till tomorrow so keeping fingers crossed.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

We had to go out last night mutual aid with our 4 wheel drive F550 cafs truck for a brush pile left unattended in the woods.. By the time we made the 20 minute drive it was 2 degrees. Was kind of like a snowmaking gun flowing out of the hose It does put out fire however.

Thread Information