Forum Member

Default SCBA Changes: Will this effect this years grants?

With the proposed 2013 NFPA 1981 Changes will this make 2002 SCBA's be eligible to be replaced? 2012 Guidance state...

"When requesting to replace old or obsolete equipment, you will be asked to provide the age of the equipment being replaced. In order for SCBA/PPE to be considered obsolete, it must be a minimum of two NFPA cycles or 10 years of age or older."

This will put many of the SCBA's at 11 years and more than two cycles out.

What are your thoughts?
    John & Sheila
    McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
    "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

MembersZone Subscriber

You are probably correct John but 2 cautions I would put out there for everyone:

1.) Make sure they are at least 12 years of age

2.) If you have ever had an SCBA request granted from AFG before; don't even bother trying unless you can make a very compelling argument as to why the department is once again back at the well for a second drink after having asked the program to bail you out once already for SCBA needs.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Concur with that completely, and going to toss in that for 2012 awardees of SCBA do NOT wait for 2013 packs. The standard is still a moving target, which means that testing for compliance couldn't even be started until the 3rd quarter or later, which puts production and sales possibilities not until 1st or even 2nd quarter of 2014. I don't see DHS allowing anyone to extend their POPs to purchase 2013ed packs.

Also considering how many SCBA apps are still going in for pre-1997 and 1997edition replacements, anything 2002ed is still going to be a long shot. Have to remember by design SCBA are a 15 year replacement item which is 3 revisions of NFPA. Age is still the main factor since anything from 2002 or newer has the RIT connections, CBRN, and an advanced PASS. Those are the 3 main factors used to determine need IMHO since they directly affect FF rescue, then the condition of the packs. Just like anything else, if they work fine and you don't have maintenance/parts replacement issues then you may not have a big argument in your favor. Hence I will harp on (for the first time in a long time) the importance of assessments to help determine both statistical and operational needs.

I mentioned it here a few times also that I put together a chapter in the Fire & Emergency Services Safety & Survival textbook that Batt. Chief Travis Ford (Nashville FD) and NFFF put together for Associate's Degree Fire Science classes. That was more in depth than anything I put on here since I had more pages to do it with. I get nothing out of the purchase like the rest of the contributors, all profits go to NFFF which is the only reason I mention it.
    Brian P. Vickers
    CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
    FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
    www.helpmewithgrants.com
    www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    You are probably correct John but 2 cautions I would put out there for everyone:

1.) Make sure they are at least 12 years of age

2.) If you have ever had an SCBA request granted from AFG before; don't even bother trying unless you can make a very compelling argument as to why the department is once again back at the well for a second drink after having asked the program to bail you out once already for SCBA needs.
    The reason i asked is we are helping a small department that had 4 packs that were 2002 and the other 10 were 1978-1991 models and as stated now we could only replace the 10 with the changes i think we might ask for the total of 14. Most are 30+ years old. Thanks for you and Brian for your response..
    John & Sheila

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

Done it with total replacement being awarded since the FD was changing to hi-pressure so keeping the 4-2002ed packs didn't solve much. Might as well ask for all 14, worse thing that will happen is they'll pull the 2002s from the quantity and give you the other 10. It's not enough to alter the computer scoring significantly to risk not being read.

Forum Member

Thanks Brian! I was shocked when i looked at the 1978 models. They wanted to try for hose and i told them this is your need!
    John & Sheila

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

Sometimes simpler is better. When I was at the old old department down here the SCBA I liked the best for being live burn OIC was made in 82. Tank, hose, mask, standalone PASS. Of course the only reason those worked well was we always took the batteries out when we put them back in the lockup since they were just training packs. Low tech stuff tends to screw up less sometimes....

Thread Information