Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Our insurance company inspects our rigs before they're placed in service, and on a bi-annual basis after that time. Not all insurance companies are created the same.
    Hmmm, not sure how I'd feel about that, but I guess it would make sense. Just had our insurance company reps here for first time ever to see flooding damage. They didn't have any clue as to what vehicles we actually had as they have never seen anything but paperwork. Not sure the reps that showed up would have much of an idea/knowledge about the vehicles anyway....
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Not sure the reps that showed up would have much of an idea/knowledge about the vehicles anyway....
    Ours only insures emergeny vehicles and buildings, so they're pretty up on their game when it comes to our business.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    They're "required" if the vehicle was built in compliance with NPFA 1901-2009. I'm not so naive as to mistake "required" for "legal".

I'm very much familiar with laws, requirements, industry standards, and the like. I also understand that a single rotator and no reflective striping is "legal." However, any manufacturer worth it's weight in gold doesn't want to accept the liability for selling you a vehicle that does not comform to the industry standards for lighting and conspicuity - hence, getting the waiver signed before it's delivered.
    Which is why, as soon as I can acquire the material, I'm actually adding more striping to our new brush truck. I also added chevrons to the rear of our 20YO pumper and 10YO light rescue.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

We did the same - we now have chevrons on our 1990 pumper and 2006 brush truck.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Both our Telesquirt and tanker have striping and we will be added chevrons or Dots this summer when moneys comes in. Our brush truck were not going to bother and we get pretty rough with it and the striping would last about 3 calls before the tree branches and such rip it off.

Dots - save yourself some dough. Go to a local sign shop and have them cut out 3/4" dots from your selected material. They'll probably do it for a fraction of what you'll pay for a commercially available dots...

If the diamond plate isn't new, make sure you prep it well -light acid wash for aluminum.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    Some people are just so stupid, that no amount of chevrons are going to help. Always be on the lookout for them, because they are out there and multiply rapidly.
    Although I certainly understand your premise, rear reflectice chevrons make a remarkable difference in the visibilty of apparatus both day and night and responding or returning. IMO, it is actually a NFPA recommendation that makes sense and I can buy in to.
    Robert Kramer
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thread Information