Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Golden City 1 hour south of fort smith
    Posts
    537

    Default Apparatus reflective striping

    I have look all over NFPA and can't find if there is a section as to what color we have to use for the reflective striping on the sides and front of the apparatus? We are having differant opinions at the station. Most say any color just has to be contrasting to apparatus color while others say only white stripping. Can anyone point us in right direction?


  2. #2
    Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,249

    Default

    The stripe does not have to be a certain color, nor does it have to be contrasting color (although it generally is). The only place that colors are mandated are for the chevrons on the rear - therefore, you can put a white stripe on a white vehicle, or a red stripe on a red vehicle.

    15.9.3* Reflective Striping.

    15.9.3.1* A retroreflective stripe(s) shall be affixed to at least 50 percent of the cab and body length on each side, excluding the pump panel areas, and at least 25 percent of the width of the front of the apparatus.

    15.9.3.1.1 The stripe or combination of stripes shall be a minimum of 4 in. (100 mm) in total width.

    15.9.3.1.2 The 4 in. (100 mm) wide stripe or combination of stripes shall be permitted to be interrupted by objects (i.e., receptacles, cracks between slats in roll up doors) provided the full stripe is seen as conspicuous when approaching the apparatus.

    15.9.3.1.3 A graphic design shall be permitted to replace all or part of the required striping material if the design or combination thereof covers at least the same perimeter length(s) required by 15.9.3.1.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  3. #3
    Forum Member DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,575

    Default

    I've seen red striping, black striping, blue striping, green striping, orange striping.. we have gold refelctive striping on our apparatus.

    I'd be curious as to how much it would coast to do an entire truck in a reflective vinyl wrap.
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 01-22-2013 at 12:58 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber tree68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jefferson County, NY USA
    Posts
    2,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    I've seen red striping, black striping, blue striping, green striping, orange striping.. we have gold refelctive striping on our apparatus.

    I'd be curious as to how much it would cost to do an entire truck in a reflective vinyl wrap.
    Do it in blue - blue retroreflective has kind of a ghostly look in the first place.

    Even on the rear of apparatus, I've seen a variety of colors, not just reflective/neon red and yellow. But the two colors always contrast well.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

    Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Golden City 1 hour south of fort smith
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Thank you for all your help? As stated by BoxAlarm187 all i could find under NFPA was the amount and placement of striping not color. Great thanks. I'm all for chevrons anything that stands out and helps the public see our apparatus better even if it doesn't look " tradional"

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1

    Default

    check "Fire Apparatus Livery" - Firehouse November 2008

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    I've never seen anything requiring a certain color, on the NFPA requirements on square footage and chevrons as cited above.

    We have a combination of a 4" black reflective stripe and a 2" gold to go with our school colors. I've seen various other colors and combinations out there.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,930

    Default

    try and buy a new apparatus with anything but red/"yellow" chevrons . Stupid regulation
    ?

  9. #9
    Forum Member Picc.93Truck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Old Forge, PA
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Kinda on this subject: Is there anyway to view full NFPA articals online without paying for it?
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

  10. #10
    Forum Member GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    try and buy a new apparatus with anything but red/"yellow" chevrons . Stupid regulation
    Not easy, but it's doable. Manhiem Township, PA was first to come to mind.

    http://www.mtfr.net/pdf/appprod/2436901_25JUL11.pdf

    The Woodlands, TX also has a baby blue/yellow chevron pattern that is unique. We are re doing all of ours this year in red/black chevrons and removing the white stripes on the side and replacing with black reflective.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Not easy, but it's doable. Manhiem Township, PA was first to come to mind.

    http://www.mtfr.net/pdf/appprod/2436901_25JUL11.pdf

    The Woodlands, TX also has a baby blue/yellow chevron pattern that is unique. We are re doing all of ours this year in red/black chevrons and removing the white stripes on the side and replacing with black reflective.
    Did they have to sign off as non compliant?
    ?

  12. #12
    Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,249

    Default

    You basically sign a paper that says that you (the customer) are responsible for putting the reflective striping to meet NPFA standards once you've taken delivery of the vehicle.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Picc.93Truck View Post
    Kinda on this subject: Is there anyway to view full NFPA articals online without paying for it?
    You have to register on the website for free, and then you can only view online read-only versions of the standards.

  14. #14
    Forum Member Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    You basically sign a paper that says that you (the customer) are responsible for putting the reflective striping to meet NPFA standards once you've taken delivery of the vehicle.
    And your insurance carrier has no problem with that? Is your insurance carrier award of the NFPA standards NOT being met afterwards?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by volfireman034 View Post
    Thank you for all your help? As stated by BoxAlarm187 all i could find under NFPA was the amount and placement of striping not color. Great thanks. I'm all for chevrons anything that stands out and helps the public see our apparatus better even if it doesn't look " tradional"
    Some people are just so stupid, that no amount of chevrons are going to help. Always be on the lookout for them, because they are out there and multiply rapidly.

  16. #16
    Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    And your insurance carrier has no problem with that? Is your insurance carrier award of the NFPA standards NOT being met afterwards?
    Neither of my departments have taken delivery of vehicles that aren't in compliance (nor would we), so I have yet to sign one of the variances. However, I would assume that an insurance carrier would have to be very familiar with NPFA 1901 to notice if the vehicle had the required chevrons or not.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Neither of my departments have taken delivery of vehicles that aren't in compliance (nor would we), so I have yet to sign one of the variances. However, I would assume that an insurance carrier would have to be very familiar with NPFA 1901 to notice if the vehicle had the required chevrons or not.
    Uh, the insurance company doesn't have to be vigilant. It is the department's responsibility to meet the standards. They will only check for compliance after an incident. If the unit involved is found to have been non-compliant they can refuse to cover.

  18. #18
    MembersZone Subscriber tree68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jefferson County, NY USA
    Posts
    2,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Neither of my departments have taken delivery of vehicles that aren't in compliance (nor would we), so I have yet to sign one of the variances. However, I would assume that an insurance carrier would have to be very familiar with NPFA 1901 to notice if the vehicle had the required chevrons or not.
    The chevrons are not required. They are part of the NFPA standard, but that standard does not have the force of law unless a state has codified it as such.

    If you want your truck built with a single bubblegum machine on the roof and no reflective material at all, that's perfectly legal.

    That said, the standard does fall into the realm of "commonly accepted practice," so a lawyer trying to get his DWI client off for running into the back of an apparatus is certainly going to try to bring it into play.

    Which brings us back to color.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

    Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

  19. #19
    Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    Uh, the insurance company doesn't have to be vigilant. It is the department's responsibility to meet the standards. They will only check for compliance after an incident. If the unit involved is found to have been non-compliant they can refuse to cover.
    Our insurance company inspects our rigs before they're placed in service, and on a bi-annual basis after that time. Not all insurance companies are created the same.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  20. #20
    Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    The chevrons are not required. They are part of the NFPA standard, but that standard does not have the force of law unless a state has codified it as such.
    They're "required" if the vehicle was built in compliance with NPFA 1901-2009. I'm not so naive as to mistake "required" for "legal".

    I'm very much familiar with laws, requirements, industry standards, and the like. I also understand that a single rotator and no reflective striping is "legal." However, any manufacturer worth it's weight in gold doesn't want to accept the liability for selling you a vehicle that does not comform to the industry standards for lighting and conspicuity - hence, getting the waiver signed before it's delivered.

    I can't believe that this thread has turned into this discussion once again...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Appararatus Reflective Striping/Highway Safety Project?
    By KOA74 in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2012, 05:11 PM
  2. Apparatus Bay Reflective Striping Question
    By HR513 in forum Probie House: The Place for Newbies
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-09-2011, 03:26 PM
  3. reflective striping
    By tomtom12690 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-05-2006, 08:25 PM
  4. Reflective striping tape on SCBA
    By FiRsqDvr45 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-07-2004, 11:20 PM
  5. Reflective Striping Inside Cab/Compartment Doors
    By Firescueguy in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-30-2002, 03:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts