Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Engine-Tanker? Anyone, Anyone?

Forum Member

Im not making an argument for custom, Just stating that my county bought a dozen commercial and had nothing but issues. they had to replace them all within 4 years, so in the long run it cost them a ton. They ended up buying 12 new custom pumpers, 4 years later they are still going strong. Now we do have 4 older commercial Mid 90's) that are still in service but are only special use, not everyday use.

Koolaid, LOL never. I've never been the one to drink the Koolaid. I also tried to get them to go for a urban interface engine to replace the 83 since we protect the mountain, farmland. We need something 4wheel drive, short wheel base also. We have a few needs and unfortunately, they all cost big $$$ that we don't have. I don't need or have to have a custom engine, I like all, just know which ones I've had luck with over the last 17 years in the Fire Service. I've been involved in the building of 4 new engines, 1 rescue engine, 1 tanker and 2 brush trucks over those 17 yrs, So I do have a lot of experience in the replacement and building of new apparatus. I'm not stuck on commercial or custom, Pierce vs Seagrave etc, Just whats best for my dept and what meets or long term needs and our goals.

Forum Member

Again why not request a Pumper and not list custom or commercial? Just ask for the going amount My Guess is 300k and add the rest of the funds to make it a custom? We did it Do i think a commercial would have done the job? Yes. Do i like the Custom better? Yes.

I am sure if you are buying trucks every 4 years or so in your area that you have a truck fund. in 2010 we bought a great Custom for around 350k it had 2 times the space as our older custom and so far the guys love it and most of it was funded by AFG.

islandfire03 likes this.
    John & Sheila
    McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
    "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

My fire company is not in the same county that I live in. The county I live in has a career dept 100% funded through the county, state and tax money....My volunteer dept receives no funding from any source other then in house fund raising. We don't have a" truck fund" and don't replace trucks every 4 years, the 2005 engine replaced a 1980 Ford, the 1986 replaced a 1976 Mack and the 1993 was an add on due to the major water issue we have. Both the 1986 and 1993 were demo units, not trucks specked out and designed by use and were bought used at a discounted price.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WheelmanEngCo11 View Post
    My fire company is not in the same county that I live in. The county I live in has a career dept 100% funded through the county, state and tax money....My volunteer dept receives no funding from any source other then in house fund raising. We don't have a" truck fund" and don't replace trucks every 4 years, the 2005 engine replaced a 1980 Ford, the 1986 replaced a 1976 Mack and the 1993 was an add on due to the major water issue we have. Both the 1986 and 1993 were demo units, not trucks specked out and designed by use and were bought used at a discounted price.
    WheelmanEngCo11 With all due respect looking at what your department has and needs i would be happy with what the grant will give. It is not worth wasting your time trying to prove that you need a custom and then get a DJ at the end. Put in for a pumper at 275-300k and buy a nice truck. We ave a 2010 Sutphen in Sherrard on an International cab that sits 5 and we have more leg room in the Commercial truck than we do in our custom here in McMechen. Be happy with what you can get. Good Luck!
    John & Sheila
    McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
    "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

Forum Member

I am having a hard time understanding the whole custom vs. Commercial cab argument. First of al i am all for having a custom cab, but i can walk no more than 300ft from where i am sitting right now see 20+ commercial cab trucks with more than 1 million miles on each of them. They are internationals, freightliners, kenworths and a few peterbilts. Gvw's from 33-110k. If commercial cab trucks only last 60k miles then i would be out of business. These trucks are used for oil/gas field service so they are used very hard. However after reading all of this maybe i should look into seeing if any custom cab manufacturer wil build me a truck. I doubt it. On a side note, Spartan does make cabs and chassis for drilling rigs and the do hold up fairly well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    The rest of the components of the truck are the same (pump, tank, compartments, etc) and that's what used the whole call. So since the main argument behind custom is the cab, there's no real benefit to something being used for an extra 5-10 minutes per call
    Plus it depends on who you ask for pricing from. I've had several folks in the past couple of years get 4dr tankers with 2500+ gallons of water for under $250k excluding equipment. Others swear they can't get one for less than $330k yet every year I see about $100k in difference from the low to the high quotes on the same exact specs. We still have folks getting 2dr tankers for under $230k, some under $200k. There's BMW, there's Chevy, and then there's the realization that a Cadillac is a Chevy with a $20k higher sticker price and a different set of badging glued on it. Not saying they aren't nice, but does anyone do more than $20k worth of difference in their commute in 8-10 years?
    We just put in service a 2000 gallon tanker with all NFPA compliant equipment from a major manufacturer {SPARTAN} for a total of $208,000.00 It is on an Navistar single axel 2 door chassis with a 500 gpm pump,2 crosslays power porta tank lift, triple 10" newton stainless dumps All stainless schedule 40 piping, backup camera , 2 large compartments , SCBA compartment etc. It is not a stripper truck by any chance.

when we went out to bid there were 4 responses to our RFP. Prices ranged from $208k - 248 k all based on the same spec which we wrote, not a salesman.
    We did not get AFG funding for it and bought what WE wanted, not what a salesman thought we needed to buy from him.

Forum Member

To echo another post from above, if compartments are rusting out then that's a non-chassis issue anyway, and even if the frame has rust that's also a design or manufacture issue independent of the chassis. If you're in a snowy/ict area there should be some sort of heavy coating to the underside of the truck that can withstand the salt, oil, and other stuff that will hit the underside while in use. And also have those that ride it take care of it by washing that stuff off when needed, like every other day at a minimum. I've ridden 20+ year old trucks without a spot of rust on them because they were taken care of. It's one of those inevitabilities with everything: if you don't take care of it, it won't last whether it's a truck, equipment, clothes, or yourself. PM stinks since it's manual labor, and getting up at 5am to go to the gym does too, but both are required and I don't dwell in a glass house when I say this either. I PM everything I own as much as I can, and if it doesn't last it's my own fault not the manufacturer. I also hit the gym as much as I can since I was in "a shape" a few years back and now I can say I'm in shape. As we said in BCT, "embrace the suck" and do what has to be done and all things will last.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have seen several departments who managed to purchase custom-cab apparatus from their AFG awards. They are all entry-level chassis and VERY basic. Most were demo units, so they had pretty good discounts attached to them.

They are very basic and just enough to do the job. They don't have electric locks and windows, they don't have all the fancy trim, etc.

That, in my mind, is the intent of the grant program. It's not to get you a $450K engine with all the bells and whistles. It's to get you what you "need" to do your job safetly and effectively.

None of them asked for a custom, they asked for an engine with certain capabilities and managed to get a custom and add a couple of seats to what was their intent.

Thread Information