Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Looking for older probies (40-50)

I am really interested in applying for a fire fighting job and I know that the Dept in my community will be hiring in 2014. I will be 51 then. I was an explorer and then a volunteer fireman in another part of the country for almost 10 years but that ended way back in 1987.

I plan to get my EMT cert. this year and am in good shape. I also have a ton of experience with tools and the building trades.

Is it ridiculous to think I have a chance at this?? Anyone who was an older probie have any advice?
    Thanks,
    G
    Last edited by Goldy; 01-24-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
    I am really interested in applying for a fire fighting job and I know that the Dept in my community will be hiring in 2014. I will be 51 then. I was an explorer and then a volunteer fireman in another part of the country for almost 10 years but that ended way back in 1987.

I plan to get my EMT cert. this year and am in good shape. I also have a ton of experience with tools and the building trades.

Is it ridiculous to think I have a chance at this?? Anyone who was an older probie have any advice?
    Thanks,
    G
    Are you in Minnesota? If so, private message me.

Forum Member

I'm younger than you but I wouldn't let your age stop you from doing what you want to do. If get the physical tests go out there and give it your all. I've read from a few departments on here that people have seen guys as old as 52 in the academy. You have the experience and a cert, show them how its done. Good luck sir.

Forum Member

San Francisco hired a guy in his 50's. I'm sure it's not going to be the easiest hill to climb as you might only give a department 10-15 years, but as noted here and above it can and has been done. Good luck!

Forum Member

Thanks for the support guys. I really appreciate your kind words. Medicpaul I am not in Minnesota, sorry. I am not worried about only be able to give 10-15 years to a department I just want to do the job as long as I am capable. 10-15years would be great.

It would help to find someone my age who has made it through the process if anyone knows anyone please send them my way.
    Thanks so much
    g

Thread Information