Forum Member

Default Quick ISO question on a substation

We have a large subdivision at the very southern tip of our district. There are hydrants throughout the subdivision, so we're a Class 5 there. Its newest section is just a hair out of our five road miles. So far the insurance agents haven't complained, but we are working on a plan in case they do.

What we've come up with is the possibility of getting a free garage space at a convenience store owned by our chief's family. It's about 1.5 miles closer than Station 1, so it will definitely get us far enough.

We don't have a rated pumper to place in it, but we have an F-350 dually at Station 1 that could take a skid unit, and we have a 700gpm portable pump that we could use for that skid.

Is that pump enough to cover the Class 5 if some insurance agent says we're too far away, or would we have to buy a rated pumper for the substation?
    “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

MembersZone Subscriber

Rated pumper for the small area outside of the original station 5 mile.

Forum Member

Blake, you were supposed to support the ONE thousand dollar option, not the TWENTY thousand dollar option. **sigh**
    “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

MembersZone Subscriber

To get above a Class 9, I think you'll find you'll have to have an engine company. Rated pumper, ladders, hose, other equipment. But, you're already apparently above a Class 9.

I have heard (can't verify, you know how those stories go) of departments being allowed credit for a skid-mounted pump, so long as it meets the minimum (can't remember if it's 500 or 750 GPM), is annually tested and rated. If that's the case, it'll be the hose and equipment that could be the kicker for you.

MembersZone Subscriber

For a 9 a skid mounted pump is fine. I have never seen a department do better than a 9 with one though.

Thread Information