Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Need Some Help With Vaules of Used SCBA

We just replaced all of our old SCBA's and have been instructed by our Board of Directors to sell the old ones, but we don't even know what a fair asking price is.

They are all Scott 2216's. Most of them are the wire frames, there are a few that are aluminum frames. None of them have integrated PASS but they do all have working Super Pass II's on them. They have aluminum cylinders. Last tested in 2011 and are all in great working condition.

What I'm looking for is a good asking price on the packs(bottle included), spare cylinders, and used AV-2000 masks.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!
    Last edited by FF715MRFD; 01-27-2013 at 09:44 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I asked a retailer that a while back. The answer I got was "nothing". The grants have inundated the market with new packs and most departments won't take anything that's not within two standard editions.

They may be worth more as training packs or something to use in-house. Maybe even for PT.

Or you could put them on govdeals or some other auction site and see what you can get out of them.

Talk to your scott dealer:
    1. 2216's are almost archaic today.
    2. old style frames = scrap value
    3. non integrated pass= old school nobody wants these.
    4. steel bottles Really make good wind chimes if you have someone with a lathe to turn them.
    we sold several of them turned into chimes for several hundred each. way more than the value as an air pack.
    SCBA dealers have dumpsters full of these packs.

Unless you can find someone really needy to donate them to, you probably won't get much for them.
    We sold our 1998 edition packs for $100.00 each to a small dept that was using 1989 edition packs. Those had aluminum and fiberglass bottles with a couple spare bottles per pack.

If they are the flat bottom steel cylinders you could make lamps out of them and get more for them than they are worth as SCBA.

You could donate them to a needy department somewhere. I know of a department that is finally coming out of the dark ages, they have NO SCBA. None. Nada. Zip. 0. They would be all over them. If you would consider it, PM me or email me for their contact info.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    If they are the flat bottom steel cylinders you could make lamps out of them and get more for them than they are worth as SCBA.
    I really can't remember any 45 cubic foot (30 minute) steel cylinders with a flat bottom. Every steel cylinder I have ever seen used in an air pack was a 2015 PSI, DOT-3A cylinder that required a plus symbol after the latest hydrotest date. That symbol allows a 3A cylinder to be filled to 10 percent above its manufactured rating and results in a 2216 fill pressure. [After I posted this I remembered those Scott 3000 PSI units. Pretty sure that those used steel cylinders as well but never looked at their markings.]

If you have a flat bottom cylinder it is most likely aluminum. Check the neck.

http://americanairworks.com/scbawarn.html

If you don't have cylinders that meet that criteria, they are worth something. They are still in wide use because they can be retested every five years until they fail the test.
    Last edited by firepundit; 01-26-2013 at 01:13 AM.

Forum Member

Thanks for the suggestions so for guys. I was kind of afraid they wouldn't be worth a whole lot. 2216's are still pretty popular in this area, but I've noticed you don't see them very often in most places.

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    You could donate them to a needy department somewhere. I know of a department that is finally coming out of the dark ages, they have NO SCBA. None. Nada. Zip. 0. They would be all over them. If you would consider it, PM me or email me for their contact info.
    My original suggestion was to donate them, but our BOD doesn't want to give anything away if they can get something out of it. I'm going to talk to the chairman this weekend though and see what he has to say. I'll let you know if we can do something for them.

Forum Member

Depending on vintage you might be able to get a little something for them from antique apparatus collectors. If they still use the elephant trunk they would look the part even if newer than the apparatus. PITA selling them a few at a time, but you might be able to get a little something for them.

I see old SCBA like yours on ebay asking as much as $1000 but I'd be surprised if they really sell for more than $100-200 a set (pack, mask and 2 cylinders).

SPAAMFAA has a classified ad section

http://www.spaamfaa.org/

Russ Kates at Dalmatian Fire out of Colorado call him and have him send you a sales quote telling your Board they are worth Nothing. Then you can donate them to a needy department.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Thread Information