Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ktb9780

Thread: SAMS/CCR, Etc.

Default SAMS/CCR, Etc.

Noticed a few questions popping up on other threads and had one myself. Decided to start an independant thread.

I tried locating our DUNS number on the SAM website and found we don't exist. I entered our City into the search and found 2 DUNS numbers and registrations. We are listed under the City's information and this was the DUNS number they supplied us. Need some advice on what we need to be doing. (Update our DUNS to match the City, register our DUNS #)

Thank you in advance for the information.

Forum Member

Word is that they search on DUNS using what you put in your app, so that may satisfy what they're looking for. If not they'll email you and then you can tell them it's under the City's name or however it's listed in the records. I don't think there is a requirement that names match since municipal FDs would be using the same DUNS as the City, but obviously show as separate names between the app (which says FD in the name) and the SAM registration which just says City of or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Word is that they search on DUNS using what you put in your app, so that may satisfy what they're looking for. If not they'll email you and then you can tell them it's under the City's name or however it's listed in the records. I don't think there is a requirement that names match since municipal FDs would be using the same DUNS as the City, but obviously show as separate names between the app (which says FD in the name) and the SAM registration which just says City of or something like that.
    Well I just called our City Treasurer to investigate. If in fact I was given the wrong DUNS number to use. How would I go about correcting this. I would hate to be disqualified for a grant do to a clerical error!

I think it will depend on whether you are a town entity or an independent 501c corporation seperate from the town that provides service to the town.
    If you are a town controlled and funded department then you should probably be under their DUNS.

Well I got a phone call back from City Hall. It appears that we were assigned our own DUNS number seperate from the city. The problem is the City registered THEIR DuNS number but didn't bother to do anyone elses, namely ours!

I guess my question now is, they are advising to register for a user account on our own through SAMS and register our DUNS number. Anyone know if this is correct since we are a City Government Fire Department?

Forum Member

If you have a separate DUNS then that's the way everything is organized, so sounds like you should have two registrations if you used the one that they didn't register in your app. That's the one DHS is searching on.

Well, crap! So how does that effect our application? DandB is sending me the info to update our information. I am guessing I will need to do something to try and find our CCR after that, or will the email used in the updated DB number be the one used to migrate in SAMS website?
    What a headache!

OK everyone first things first here; CALM DOWN and take a deep breath! Let’s be really clear about something here right off the bat. You must be registered with www.SAM.gov to receive any Federal grant award. You are going to have to work your way through the SAM registration process and eventually get registered in there and assure that all information is accurate but, as long as this process is accomplished and you are making a due diligence effort to get registered if you scored highly enough to merit an award from AFG, then you will get the award sooner or later, it just may take a bit of work, patience and perseverance on your part. Indeed “later” cannot be 6 months from now. You must get an account in SAM as soon as you can.

AFG Program office is well aware that the issue with SAM.gov is becoming problematic and I can assure you, based upon a number of phone calls and emails I have had with AFG staff, they are working diligently to improve this situation and resolve these issues for you as fast as they can.

This is not AFG requirement nor is it something AFG controls, it is another Federal department entirely that is tasked with making this transition from the old system of CCR/DUNS to the new System for Award Management which, when they work the bugs out, will be easier to use and manage on our part. However, as with any new system or computer program, there are obviously some bugs and glitches here which SAM is working diligently to overcome and fix. AFG is developing a webinar which will be presented in early March which will be about the SAM.gov process and which will address many of the problems that you are reporting as occurring; if you have been unable to get registered with SAM due to some type problem hopefully we will see some helpful information in the webinar which should assist us in getting registered.

AFG has assigned staff to work with SAM in alerting them to problems, overcoming those problems and in trying to get accurate, helpful information together which will help us out here but, we need to give them a little time to work things out. They are monitoring your comments in here and I am being diligent in alerting them to problems which my clients and I are finding or are having problems working with. Be patient!

This does not relieve you of the responsibility to get registered though and you should be making every effort to do so on your own. Below are some tips which may help you out here:

∑ DUNS- check that your DUNS number account is current, accurate and that you have all names and numbers EXACTLY as they appear in their records; spelling, middle initials, name of department etc. If anything is wrong fix this first.
    ∑ Next- Do the same thing in CCR (Central Contractor Registry). Check names, spelling, DUNS number matching etc. Look to see if you have marked the information as being visible to the “public” or “private”. If you have it marked “private” change it to read “public”. Now wait for at least 48 hours or so. Be sure to check and see if you have gotten any emails from any of these systems alerting you to changes or anything.
    ∑ Now make sure you have all information and appropriate paperwork with you and set aside an hour from home and try to go see if you can find your information in SAM and complete the registration process and get this done www.sam.gov ; it’s not going to be something you get accomplished in 5 minutes and if you have to email them (www.fsd.gov ) or call them (1-866-606-8220) be prepared for a wait or that you may have to try and try again to reach their help desk. Remember everyone is trying to get registered with SAM not just AFG awardees so take a deep breath and dive in.

I hope this helps somewhat.Its a learning process and we are learning things daily so stay tuned!
    islandfire03 and EMT6126 like this.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Also an incorrect DUNS on AFG doesn't mean anything, several have to be corrected every year because of people putting in the wrong numbers or even typos. It will get handled in pre-award between 1199A and announcement, or you can drop them a line and let AFG staff know and they can mark the file.

Also now that the move has been made to SAM, anything wrong in CCR doesn't mean anything since a lot of that didn't get transferred properly anyway.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sure if this has been talked about but there are browser compatibility issues with the SAM site, they recommend using Firefox or Chrome. Had all kinds of problems with mine not submitting and coming up with phantom errors while trying to do the update in Explorer. Per the help desk tried again with firefox, and all my SAM problems went away.

Quote Originally Posted by utfd701 View Post
    Not sure if this has been talked about but there are browser compatibility issues with the SAM site, they recommend using Firefox or Chrome. Had all kinds of problems with mine not submitting and coming up with phantom errors while trying to do the update in Explorer. Per the help desk tried again with firefox, and all my SAM problems went away.
    Uh yea that is a really big issue to know about thanks.
    Kurt Bradley

The other great benefit to CCR/SAM is the amount of bid solicitation e-mails you will begin to receive.

Quote Originally Posted by utfd701 View Post
    SAM browser optimization settings document:

https://www.fsd.gov/euf/assets/image...20of%20SAM.pdf
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Kurt

It took me four days trying to get a CCR number its a head ache.

Quote Originally Posted by sirtj136 View Post
    Kurt

It took me four days trying to get a CCR number its a head ache.
    I have absolutely no doubt that it is a headache and a half. That's why I wanted everyone to start looking into it and getting it straightened out now.
    Kurt Bradley

Thread Information