Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fire49

Thread: I got moved to a new house

Forum Member

Default I got moved to a new house

Hey all. I got moved to a new house last shift. So I'm the new guy again. The guys were pretty bumbed that I didn't bring any breakfast in for them. I got a family full of firefighters and I've always been taught not to bring stuff in like that because it makes you look like a suck up and your trying to get on the fence kinda thing. But anyway I've brought donut in before which was good and bad experience. One station liked them and another station has thrown the box of donuts away without eating 1 donut. They said they ain't cops so they through them away. So, so much for that. But anyway. I was planning on bringing in something but I need some ideas. I'm not rich and can't really afford a big breakfast for 6 Guys.

Also. It's my turn to cook for dinner tomorrow. What are some ideas to cook. I ain't the best cook in the world so something simple and filling would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Firefighters eat croissants not doughnuts

What state are you in???

What have you seen them eat for breakfast??

How about bagels, cream cheese and fruit plate???

Spaghetti is easy just no jar stuff, salad and bread

Forum Member

As much as i am a fan of buying/cooking breakfast for a new crew, if money is tight, dont feel like you have to do it. Yes, its a tradition, but any firefighter worth his name should understand if you dont splurge to feed them.

When we cook, everybody pitches money into the pot. The only exception is if we have a guest, such as a chief or ride along. If you dont pay, you dont eat. We will do anything for eachother, but when it comes to this sort of thing, everyone is on the same page.

I have spent money out of my own pocket to feed crews before and they ALWAYS force me to take money from them. Anyone who doesnt at least offer to chip in is no good in my book.

Forum Member

I live in North Carolina. And we had Spaghetti had shift. And what we do is rotate between the ppl who makes the food. So then no one has to chip in. You just got to make sure your not the guy who cooks ham burger and hotdogs every time it's his turn to cook in a rotation.

And yes I was thinking bagels but I can see someone bitching that there was no meat and it wasn't hot

Forum Member

well the station should have a toaster!!!!!!!

and tell them you are trying to keep them healthy

NC, so how about RC and moon pies, or cherwine????

you can try some breakfast casserole dishes, that can be put together ahead and either cook before shift or throw it in when you get there.

normally easy to put together::

http://www.bystephanielynn.com/2011/...s-holiday.html

can you make enchiladas or tacos????
    Last edited by fire49; 01-28-2013 at 07:07 PM.
    CaptOldTimer likes this.

Forum Member

The only time we made breakfast was on weekends and usually it was about 10 AM, also called brunch. Several members pitched in and help fix it. I use to get to the house by 6 AM so my relief person could get away to beat the traffic. I'd bring in some donuts from time to time. Usually I would fix myself some oatmeal on my own. Not every fire company or departments fixes breakfast. Usually it is lunch and supper.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Let's talk fire trucks!

Every FD culture is different. If the new guy wanted to bring in breakfast on his first day, outstanding. I sure wouldn't view him as a suck up - just a guy that knew that his new shift would probably appreciate some good eats.

My department is much like COT's. On the weekends, we do a big breakfast and early supper - rarely, if ever, do you see any station routinely do a big breakfast during the week.

As for dinner, try chicken fettucini alfredo, garlic bread, and some kind of a veggie. Easy to make enough for the crew, not real expensive, and recipes can be found on the 'net.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Thread Information