Forum Member

Default What product do you use to deal with MVA spills, oils, antifreeze, containment?

I see alot of pictures of wrecks where departments deploy a variety of products to deal with small spills of oil, antifreeze, fuel, etc. released during a motor vehicle crash. What have you found to work well at absorption, neutralizing or containing and why?

Forum Member

In your scearious, we use nothing. Wrecker drivers do the clan up.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Speedy Dri, Drizall, cat litter. We get a supply of it from local wreckers. Most times, we put it down, help them clean most of it up, they take it away. Sometimes, due to long delays waiting for wreckers, we'll have most of it cleaned up and waiting for their arrival.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Sawdust from the local cabinet shops.

MembersZone Subscriber

Heavy rescue is set-up with two large bins (150 lbs each) that have a 2" plastic hose and a "blast gate" type slide. Hose extends to 15" from ground. Drivers side bin has anti-skid limestone sand, and the officers side has oil dry (diatomaceous earth). Pull the gate and dump what you need on the ground or into a 5 gal bucket. Spread with a shovel or broom.

Forum Member

kitty litter.. haha cheaper than "oil-dry" and just as effective.
    "....train as if your life depends on it, because one day it could.."
    .....Leather Head N6A
    Tillerman..... The best job in the FD!!!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

All 3 FDs I am on use oil dry.

When I was a civilian CFR-FF for the WiAng we used a product called Sphag Sorb made from sphagnum moss. It looked kind of like coffee grounds when you dumped it out of the bag but it was super absorbent. In fact we had about a 20 gallon gasoline spill where we dumped 2 bags of Sphag Sorb on it and not only did it clean up there wasn't even a stain on the cement.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I like newpig lite dry. It is a paper based absorbant so much lighter than kitty litter and it soaks up oil and fluids well.

Forum Member

We've had a new product on the market in the area called zeocan. It's a company that has access to a formation of Zeolites (A complex naturally forming soft rock similar to kitty litter) It's environmentally frienly according to the MSDS sheet, best part is that the material doesn't prefer water over oils, so it will soak fuels, oils and hydrocarbons before H2O. I am not sure about it but from my understanding the spent material decomposes naturally... Your Judgement call

Forum Member

We use Pig Dri. Every rig keeps 5-10 gallons of it. If they need more for an incident, HazMat can bring tons of it. We can always call for a sand truck or a truck of peat moss.

Forum Member

We use "Oil-Dry" for the most part. Occasionally Cat Liter when need be. We also carry a few PIG Brand Diverter Socks and a box of they're Absorbent Mats.

Our Wreckers Take forever to get here. So we throw down our own spill clean up and containment setups. Also carry a large 350 gallon "Storage" tank with a transfer pump on the back of our "Hazmat" rig. we seem to have alot of Semi wrecks (I-70 corridor) and 2 250 gallon saddle tanks make a big mess if not transferred and contained as quick as possible.

Forum Member

What about bioremediation? Anyone?

Forum Member

Oil Dri! works like a charm but expensive to say the least. Sometimes we turn our heads the other way and let the tow truck company take care of it. Obviously this excludes mitigation techniques if need be.

Forum Member

We use this material that looks like dirt/fine mulch. It's really light and airy so a 5gal bucket weighs a lot less compared to one of kitty litter. The down side is that if it's a windy day you're gonna have some trouble...

Thread Information