Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By deputybuxton
  • 1 Post By CaptOldTimer

Thread: Boot Troubles: Easy on, not so easy off

Forum Member

Default Boot Troubles: Easy on, not so easy off

Being a new volunteer, I am having some trouble with my boots. They go on well enough, but they don't come off AT ALL as easily. Literally it takes me pulling and pulling to get them off, sometimes sitting down and pulling and pulling....

Trouble is, they are big enough; any larger and I might find myself having trouble walking...

Are there any suggestions... apart from going nude... I am starting to consider the idea of keeping some Vaseline in my locker lol... (JK)

Cheers.

Forum Member

Leather or rubber boots?
    I've worn both and with each, it takes a matter of wearing them to break them in. No different than a pair of dress shoes or work boots.

Get yourself a bootjack (aka boot pull) and put that in your locker. That should solve things until you get the boots broke in.

Forum Member

So this issue will resolve itself? The boots aren't new, and they are rubber. They actually aren't even a matching set... (not critiquing the fashion...) Although supposedly we are supposed to be getting in some new gear...

Alright I suppose I can deal with it until they break in to my foot... I suppose some of it also stems from the fact that I don't wear shin high laceless boots all day. I will look into that boot puller...

As usual, many thanks.

Forum Member

Remember that you dont want them flopping around on you, Your boot should be secure to your foot.

Forum Member

Yea, they are easy enough to walk in... a bit of getting used to is still required before I start climbing anything (not used to haven't so much metal in my shoes!)

Forum Member

If your feet are finished growing....get a set of leather boots.....more comfort especially if in them for a long time, they will last a LONG time when taken care of.....I wore mine even through academy and they are fine....those were some long days in boots doing aslot of climbing etc and I was glad to have made a solid capital investment!
    WBFD25 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Highschoolvolunteer View Post
    Yea, they are easy enough to walk in... a bit of getting used to is still required before I start climbing anything (not used to haven't so much metal in my shoes!)
    Its better to have the metal in the boots than having lead in your arz. Keep wearing them you'll get use to them. Something like have a new wife, the more you are together then more you both get use to it!
    WBFD25 likes this.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Several things come to mind concerning boots. With rubber bunker boots, be sure to wear COTTON socks. Not synthetic, although a 50 - 50 blend will work as well. You need something that will pull the moisture away from your foot and evaporate it off. Damp socks increase the transfer rate of heat from your foot to the rubber. The synthetic doesn't do a good job of wicking the sweat, but are better for long term wear than are straignt cotton. Second, some foot powder with talc will help, even with damp socks and boot liners, get your foot out of the boot. A previous poster suggested a "Boot Jack" to help get them off. You might be successful when boots and socks are fairly dry, but it is an *** to pull them off after you step in a pond or creek and they get wet inside. It will happen, no matter how hard you try to stay dry. You can make a boot jack in about 15 minutes as follows. Cut a length of 1" x 8" board about 16 inches long. Cut a small piece from the side of the remaining stock lengthwise (with the grain) 1 1/2" x 7 1/2" long. Screw this small piece cross ways onto the bottom of the longer piece, about 4" from one end. You will know you are right if when put the strip side down and step on the short end the long end jumps up about 4 inches. Last cut a V-notch in the long end of the board so the heel of your boot sticks in the V. To use, step on the short end with one foot & jam your heel into the V-notch and pull. If you look around there are some neat cast iron ones on the auction sites. I like the one where you step on the lady's B00bs and jam your heel between her legs.
    Last edited by kuh shise; 02-01-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Forum Member

Do you have a high instep or arch in your feet?
    These make it harder to find a pull on boot that will slip on, fit tight and be easy to pull off.
    I had to have my new leather boots specially made to get them on & off easily. they added a little more in the cut to the top front of the boot and they fit fine.
    I have a 10 1/2 4 wwww foot with high arches.

The folks that make the globe boots had me stop by the factory and custom fitted a pair of boots for me. they measured my foot and pieced together the boots for a great fit. The factory is only an hour from here so not a big deal to get done. Falcon shoe is their name in Lewiston Maine.

Forum Member

High Instep/arch? Not really sure about the instep, maybe slightly. As for the arch, that would be a negative... if the draft-board asks I have flat feet, or so I am told... ( Joking about the draft board part)...

I think it was my pants causing too much surface friction somehow, and that was the issue... pulling my pant legs out first, while it seems stupid, seemed to make things quicker....

Forum Member

Thermal socks and talcum powder?

I was told by someone that these two things combined will make the boots easier to slip off. Is this true? Or is someone yanking my chain so that every time I step out of the truck I leave a 'cloud' of dust behind me...

MembersZone Subscriber

There are worse things than being called "Pig Pen". LOL So how much would it cost to take some talc from Mommy's stash & use a cotton sock for a test?

Thread Information