Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Relocation Recommendation

I am a career firefighter for a small department in Illinois. Our department is constantly threatended with cuts, layoffs, or closures, although none have happened yet, we have lost positions through attrition. Add to this that our state has the second most under funded pension system in the nation, and I keep thinking more and more that it is time to relocate. I have a young family and if we uproot, we would like to go somewhere warm that has a very comfortable climate but that isn't a huge community. We like the big city setting because of convenience, but I want to work for a smaller department where you're not just a cog in a wheel but are more a part of the department. A department that has foreward thinking individuals with a progressive attitude would be preferred. In short, I'd like to work in the most perfect place in the world...okay...okay...I know that doesn't exist, but a close comparison would be subtible. A strong school system, a good economy, good starting pay, and a place that's good to raise kids is what's most important. We have mostly been looking out west, but please feel free to jump in if you have any suggestions. Thanks everyone!

Forum Member

what certs do you have???

how about texas slightly warm, fairly cheap to live in, plenty of land to live on

check weekly:::

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp

suggest north texas

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/certificat...ansferring.asp

I thought TX was really dry and hot? I did look at some jobs there but noticed the pay was a little low, of course I somewhat expect that starting over. With OT this year I made around $64K so I know there will be some adjustment. Is the COL that much lower there? The median value of a home here is around $125K, a gallon of milk costs $3.50 and a gallon of gas costs about $3.35 right now.

My certs are mostly in IL because our state doesn't know how to play well with others. I have my Fire Officer I, Haz-Mat Tech, Instructor II, Vehicle Machinary Tech, Paramedic, and EMT-Lead Instructor. I've been here as a career firefighter for over 5 years, worked in private sector fire for 4 years, private EMS for 4 years, and then was on vollie FD prior to that. Joined VFD in 1995 so about 18 years in fire/EMS with 12 of them as a medic, although I know the first few years as a cadet don't really count. I was fortunate that when I worked in private FD we worked with IFSAC so have my FF I, FF II, Instructor I, Fire Officer I, and a few others all done through IFSAC and DoD. Also have my AAS in Fire Science.

Sorry not trying to give a resume but curious how does some of that transfer over or does it? My Paramedic is through the state and not NREMT so I'm sure I would have to obtain that for most states or do state offer reciprocity these days without NREMT?

Thanks for the info!!

Forum Member

well sounds like you would take a cut in pay.

prices are about the same, not sure about comparing the housing issue,

But Texas does not pay state income tax!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are plenty of side jobs

as far as medic, cannot answer that question, but give tdhs a call direct and ask them for the best answer::

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/emstraum...s/default.shtm

have you looked around to see if you move to a near by state what money they pay??? seems like you are going to take a lose in pay no matter where you go

Forum Member

As a firefighter with a paramedic license and the experience you have outlined, you are certainly VERY marketable. I would consider identifyiny the areas of the country you would like to live and raise your family. Quality fo life is certainly vey important. As far as the salary goes, I work in Southern California and I can tell you that we start our Firefighter/Paramedics at roughly $70K per year. With overtime most close to $100K after their first year.
    Certainly California has its issues with the State budget. I do see much more hiring now than I did in the last couple of years. I think you are wise to be exploring your options. Good luck to you!
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Thread Information