Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Houston Fire 2013

Forum Member

Yes that test was more time consuming then I expected. I had about ten questions left that I had to Christmas tree before the time ran out. I think there's a lot of us that had that same problem. As long as you studied and gave it your best shot I'm sure your scores will be pretty good. They're going to take into account that most people didn't have enough time to finish. Also imagine how many people showed up and hadn't studied at all... They probably did horrible. Also those first 120 character questions or whatever they were called should help the scores. Results come out March 28...? I think that's what that paper said.

So if they need 200 cadets... They cal 350 in for an interview... Some of those will be disqualified for various reasons...... I think they'll get their 200 new firefighters from the top 350 test takers for sure.

1200 took the test..... So 1 out of every 6 that was there will have a job

Forum Member

@Sander: The section of the exam where I had to guess on was the map'n section. Bum'd out b/c that section is easy. The FST exam is weird. I believe this is the first time HFD went w/ this type of test. All in all, I hope I scored high enough to make the top 350. God speed.

Forum Member

Heck yeah I was so burned out towards the end. I was getting irritated with all the people getting up for the bathroom constantly hearing people walk by. Then the guy next to me would throw his pencil down after every answer he bubbled in. I swear one of the proctors was wearing tap dancing shoes. All I heard for 3 hours was "click, click, click, click".... And the sound of a pencil getting dropped every 20 seconds. I was so happy when I finally left

Forum Member

@Sander: Shake my head. Wow. Yeah man, that was a long weird test. God speed.

Forum Member

hahah Sander that is crazy. At least you wasnt sitting next to a guy that was smacking on gum and calling the proctor over every 5 min to ask a questions.

Forum Member

Smacking gum? Good grief.... Did anyone there know what the word etiquette means? I guess we all had out issues Wednesdsy morning.

Good luck to you all. I hope we're all hired and we can train together at the Academy soon. If I don't make it, i'll keep my head up. It wasn't meant to be if that's the case. Out of my hands now. The wait for those results is killing me already!!

Forum Member

Default Some info

They will be hiring in the upper 200s from what I have been told. Only half or less than half of those will be non-certified, which the test yesterday was for. The rest will be for fast track/certitified guys, which will be given a test soon. It's much cheaper for the city to hire/train a fast track class. If the test is anything like the non-certified one that I took several years ago, getting anywhere near a 70 on the test will NOT get you callback. I scored a 99 and was put into the 2nd class for that year, so that should give you some perspective. From what I am reading, yall's test was more difficult than mine, so maybe the scores will go down. I don't think anyone with less than a 93 was hired from the test I took.

People will fail the PAT, and that is their own fault. The only "difficult" portion is the run, and anyone that is in decent shape should be able to run in the time allotted. Other guys will fail the background check. Still others will forget to follow up with their recruiter, even after the recruiters baby them and give them multiple chances to submit information. No one should have to hold your hand through the process; if y'all want the job bad enough, stick with it, even if it takes months/years. My first day at the academy was over 15 months from the date of the written test.

Not to sound like a rant/complaint, but if you get in, show up in shape to the academy. Don't use the 8-9 months that you are going to be there as your time to get into shape. The instructors will pretty much already be in good shape and will show no mercy to those cadets who are not. None of the other cadets want to do extra pt just because you can't keep up. Lastly, be prepared to study hard right away in EMT school. I had taken college level biology & A&P classes, and the short EMT course we took in the beginning was the hardest class I had ever taken. Those instructors show no mercy either. We were told by several instructors that you basically have to put your life on pause for a bit to get through the course, and it held true for many. The payoff in the end is worth it though.

Good luck to all.

Forum Member

@HOOPSboyFF: Everyone who took the written exam received a flyer that gave detailed instructions for the recruitment process. On the flyer, the hiring numbers for non-certified recruits was 210 recruits. I don't know how many fast track/certified recruits HFD will be hiring, but it seems like HFD intends on hiring a ton.

Reading the previous posts on HFD's past written exams, it seems like the old exams were super easy. This exam was time consuming. It wasn't hard, just time consuming. Even w/ the extra 30 minutes that were given, I ran out of time. Again, super curious on how this exam is going to be graded. HOOPSboyFF, thanks for sharing what you heard/know. God speed.

Forum Member

Hoops boy, thanks for the advice. From what you & everyone else has said, I feel my chances of getting hired will take an act of god.... Even with my extra 5 points for military. I'm not worried one bit about the physical part, I've stayed in excellent physical shape after I was discharged from the Navy. I'm not worried about any if the other hurdles either. I made it through bout camp and 3 deployments to the Middle East, I think I'll make it through the Academy if I'm blessed with the opportunity to get there. I'm not saying it's going to be easy.... But I'm very much up for it. I love a good challenge. I love comradry and team work.

Just getting that call is what I'm worried about. I saw the results from the 2011 Exam. Obviously it was a MUCH easier test. There was over a hundred people that scored a 100. With not being able to finish a dozen questions on the test, I'm not sure how that's going to effect my final score. But again, it's out of my hands. If its not meant to be its not meant to be. I feel I'm an excellent candidate but if HFD feels otherwise, then that's not where I need to be.

Good luck to you all. I hope you all get selected. And when you do, do great. Serve your city & community well and don't forget the real reason we have firefighters!!!!
    God Bless

Forum Member

Anybody hear anything back yet?

Forum Member

I havn't received anything. Their facebook page said emails are going out today i dont know if that is for the top 350 or they just sending it to everyone. What bout you?

Forum Member

I was assuming the emails were being sent out to the top 350. At least that's how I interpreted it. No I did not receive an email today. So either A) I didn't make it or B) they didn't send out the emails

I guess I'll know tomorrow when the test results come out. Fingers crossed

Forum Member

No email for me. Bummer. Well, at least i'll find out my official score and ranking tomorrow. God speed.

Forum Member

Civil Service Exam Results are out. Good luck guy!

Rank #209
    Test score 85 (80 +5 military points)

Forum Member

Good news is I passed the exam. Bad news is I did not make the top 350. I'm stumped on how this exam was scored. God speed.

Forum Member

dctalk523 - I'm sorry to hear that, I really am. I don't know how this test was scored, it was a weird test. A lot of these top 350 will get disqualified for various reasons.... I might be one of them. You never know, good luck man

Forum Member

I passed ranked 438. Glad to finally know my results. Congrats sander let us know how orientation goes, and dctalk keep yo head up

Forum Member

@Sander & @gogetit: Well done on your rankings. I'm not going to lie, I'm disappointed and stumped at my exam score and ranking. Honestly, the FST exam was a weird and funky exam. I know for a fact that the 10 questions that I had to guess on hurt my final score. It didn't help that I ran out of time. This is another valuable lesson learned. I wish nothing but the best for the individuals moving forward. On to the next one. God speed.

Forum Member

I think the test should have been 30 min longer, or removed a few questions. The scores would be spread much more that way. The old test people were making 100s no problem. Not one person made a 100 this time.
    I feel bad for those people that scored higher then me but got ranked lower (due to my Military points). If I didn't have those points, I would have ranked around 500... So I'm moving forward for that reason only. But hey, I could get disqualified at medical or something else. Good luck guys.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sander View Post
    I feel bad for those people that scored higher then me but got ranked lower (due to my Military points). If I didn't have those points, I would have ranked around 500... So I'm moving forward for that reason only. But hey, I could get disqualified at medical or something else. Good luck guys.
    Sander:
    Yeah, but seriously, men and women who serve in the military deserve those points. Nobody should gripe about it. Not everyone made the sacrifice you did, so you totally deserve those points. It's the same if they offered preference to paramedics. Those people made the sacrifice of going to school and giving up a social life for a year (or more) so they could further their chances of getting hired on a FD. So, you deserve every point you get bro!! Best of wishes to all involved.

Take care,
    Pete

Thread Information