Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Houston Fire 2013

Forum Member

Just had orientation yesterday. It was really short but informative. I didn't realize how time consuming this process would be and I've got a lot to still do. Need to make sure all my shots are up to date ASAP and I go back to Houston (I live in San Antonio) next Thursday, 11 April, in order to do my PAT @0630. The run has me scared a bit. I didn't realize that the run was AFTER you've completed all the other events. The one comforting thing is that you have 3 opportunities to pass it so that makes me feel much more confident. They gave us a schedule of all the important dates and it's amazing at how little time there is. With the first class starting in July, my group is in the pressure cooker as far as deadlines. Best of luck to everyone who has made it this far and to all of those who haven't. Keep trying, fellas... you'll get there!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jensen31 View Post
    Just had orientation yesterday. It was really short but informative. I didn't realize how time consuming this process would be and I've got a lot to still do. Need to make sure all my shots are up to date ASAP and I go back to Houston (I live in San Antonio) next Thursday, 11 April, in order to do my PAT @0630. The run has me scared a bit. I didn't realize that the run was AFTER you've completed all the other events. The one comforting thing is that you have 3 opportunities to pass it so that makes me feel much more confident. They gave us a schedule of all the important dates and it's amazing at how little time there is. With the first class starting in July, my group is in the pressure cooker as far as deadlines. Best of luck to everyone who has made it this far and to all of those who haven't. Keep trying, fellas... you'll get there!
    How did your fitness go? I have mine this Friday April 19.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by iizshawn View Post
    How did your fitness go? I have mine this Friday April 19.
    It went well. The weather wasn't the most cooperative (rainy and cold) but it all worked out. Passed it all and am on to the next phase. How'd your test go?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pass.the.brewski View Post
    It went well. The weather wasn't the most cooperative (rainy and cold) but it all worked out. Passed it all and am on to the next phase. How'd your test go?
    Passed it no prob, there was a couple of people that didn't make it on the run. I haven't ran in 7 months but still managed to make it in 11 minutes.

Forum Member

Really I also invested 6 decades in the Fast as a Corpsman. I am up in Oregon now, just used for Oregon Flame. Obtained 20 factors towards the examination. (10 citizen/10 veteran). So that is awesome. But, I want to get a job and I am willing to journey.
    Last edited by Omarion; 04-26-2013 at 07:23 AM.

Forum Member

Anyone do the interview/questionnaire portion already? Is it an actual interview?

Forum Member

I had mine last Thursday. It's no real interview. You just meet with your recruiter to go over Questionnaires A & B and fill out part C. My recruiter and I then went over the rest of the hiring process and I was informed that I'll be contacted within a week to set up my polygraph. Lasted maybe 45 minutes or so.

Forum Member

How come they didn't schedule you a polygraph the same day? They told us during the CPAT that if we talked with our recruiter it could be possible to have a poly set up for the same day so us out of towners didn't have to make multiple trips. If that's the deal I'll be making at least six trips trip Houston this year! I also live in San Antonio.

I'd hate to drive three hours just to be there only for 45 minutes.

Forum Member

Maybe they'll work with you....but if you really want the job, just plan on driving the 3 hours. It's worth it. I had to fly from Cleveland OHIO twice (once for the test and once for the interview) before I got hired. Best money I ever spent!!

Forum Member

Yeah, I wish I could've done it that day but like sweetpete said, if I get hired all those drives will be worth it. I imagine that after the polygraph the only drive left would be to accept your conditional job offer. I've got a clean past but the polygraph still freaks me out. Never done one before so I guess it's just a fear of the unknown.

Forum Member

Of course I really want the job, but there's only so many days I'm allowed to take off since I am a temporary contractor for the US Army. Three or more days off during my probation period of six months is a termination of my job.

You didn't have to come back for a polygraph? I've already made three trips down there for the exam, orientation, and CPAT so far.

Forum Member

Yeah, I wish I could've done it that day but like sweetpete said, if I get hired all those drives will be worth it. I imagine that after the polygraph the only drive left would be to accept your conditional job offer. I've got a clean past but the polygraph still freaks me out. Never done one before so I guess it's just a fear of the unknown.
    Don't worry about the polygraph, if you were truthful on your questionnaires, you have absolutely nothing to worry about honestly.

Forum Member

So I was just pulled over for speeding this morning; 80 in a 60. I've got a squeaky clean record but I'm worried about what this may do to my chances of being hired. Will this affect it or am I ok?

Forum Member

Got a hold of my recruiter - my speeding ticket will not affect my chances of getting hired. Had my polygraph today and passed that so hopefully the next step is a job offer!

Forum Member

Job offers coming out in ~2 weeks!!! Y'all feeling good about your chances?

Forum Member

Job offers coming out in ~2 weeks!!! Y'all feeling good about your chances?
    Where did you get that information? Is the first academy still July 8th? They are going to give out offers 2 weeks before the academy? What about the drug test and medical exam results? You would have to give notice before you got results?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DRock72 View Post
    Where did you get that information? Is the first academy still July 8th? They are going to give out offers 2 weeks before the academy? What about the drug test and medical exam results? You would have to give notice before you got results?
    The schedule that they gave us at orientation shows that job offers are extended between June 17 - 19. It is strange that you're only given a few weeks to get everything in order but I guess they're crunched for time to try and get everything done for the 8July class.

Forum Member

Just got my conditional job offer via email!!!!!

Forum Member

Hey have you taken your physical as of to date? I did my polygraph last Monday and they did my background check Friday I assume since they called and needed to get in contact with one of my past employers. I'm pretty sure I'll most likely be in the second class since my recruiter told me the cutoff for the first one is around rank 100.

Forum Member

Congrats! Sorry I didn't see this post before I sent my last one.

Thread Information