Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Houston Fire 2013

Forum Member

Of course I really want the job, but there's only so many days I'm allowed to take off since I am a temporary contractor for the US Army. Three or more days off during my probation period of six months is a termination of my job.

You didn't have to come back for a polygraph? I've already made three trips down there for the exam, orientation, and CPAT so far.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jensen31 View Post
    Yeah, I wish I could've done it that day but like sweetpete said, if I get hired all those drives will be worth it. I imagine that after the polygraph the only drive left would be to accept your conditional job offer. I've got a clean past but the polygraph still freaks me out. Never done one before so I guess it's just a fear of the unknown.
    Don't worry about the polygraph, if you were truthful on your questionnaires, you have absolutely nothing to worry about honestly.

Forum Member

So I was just pulled over for speeding this morning; 80 in a 60. I've got a squeaky clean record but I'm worried about what this may do to my chances of being hired. Will this affect it or am I ok?

Forum Member

Got a hold of my recruiter - my speeding ticket will not affect my chances of getting hired. Had my polygraph today and passed that so hopefully the next step is a job offer!

Forum Member

Job offers coming out in ~2 weeks!!! Y'all feeling good about your chances?

Forum Member

Job offers coming out in ~2 weeks!!! Y'all feeling good about your chances?
    Where did you get that information? Is the first academy still July 8th? They are going to give out offers 2 weeks before the academy? What about the drug test and medical exam results? You would have to give notice before you got results?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DRock72 View Post
    Where did you get that information? Is the first academy still July 8th? They are going to give out offers 2 weeks before the academy? What about the drug test and medical exam results? You would have to give notice before you got results?
    The schedule that they gave us at orientation shows that job offers are extended between June 17 - 19. It is strange that you're only given a few weeks to get everything in order but I guess they're crunched for time to try and get everything done for the 8July class.

Forum Member

Just got my conditional job offer via email!!!!!

Forum Member

Hey have you taken your physical as of to date? I did my polygraph last Monday and they did my background check Friday I assume since they called and needed to get in contact with one of my past employers. I'm pretty sure I'll most likely be in the second class since my recruiter told me the cutoff for the first one is around rank 100.

Forum Member

Congrats! Sorry I didn't see this post before I sent my last one.

Forum Member

If you don't mind me asking, what was your rank?
    Just got my conditional job offer via email!!!!!

Forum Member

I like a little anonymity on forums so I don't feel comfortable giving out my exact number but I was top 20 if that helps.

Forum Member

Yes I should have put it in that wording didn't want to know the exact rank but Thanks!

Forum Member

ok one
    starting over?;;;;

http://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/houston.pdf

two,,, does Houston pay a little more once on shift?

Forum Member

Jensen31- First off congrats on the job offer!

Quick question, I received a email 2 weeks ago to move forward in the process by turning in Questionnaires A+B. I am an out of towner so I didn't have an orientation but I am curious if after your polygraph if there was a formal panel interview or if you were hired based on your test score, physical, questionnaires and polygraph?

Thanks!

Forum Member

The interview is between you and your recruiter. you can't really fail it. you can fail your poly and background check though.

Forum Member

Thanks, sounds like after the test ranks are posted the rest of the process is pass or fail.

Forum Member

I think the hardest part now is just getting your paper work in and all your vaccines taken care of. they're hiring a lot of people. are you still in the process?

Forum Member

Yes, I am still in the process. I am headed to Houston December 17th-21st for the last steps. I have all of my paperwork and vaccinations taken care of as of last week, I was just surprised that there wasn't a formal panel interview during the last steps of the hiring process. Anyone else headed to Houston during that time?

Forum Member

Happy to hear everyone on making it this far, I passed my polygraph on 11/21 its been ten days now, I know they're doing the background check on me but does it really take this long to let me know anything, in my Poly they asked if everything that I answered in my A&B packs was truthful I answered yes, and I am, haven't done anything wrong since my teenage years but never handcuffed, questioned, detained, arrested, my credit history is really messed up and relieved that they don't do credit check but still feel guilty not taking care of it quickly, this wait is playing tricks on me wondering what if I did mess up somewhere but can't remember o_O hopefully they'll let me explain anything they find good luck to all of y'all

Forum Member

I just got back today from orientation. there were about 60 people there. i know they are expecting to hire 70 recruits for a march class and another 70 for a june class. any of you guys know what class you have been assigned to yet?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Sander View Post
    I'm taking the CCE in March myself. I'm 31 years old, did 4 years in the Navy, completed my Associates Degree last year.... Now I'm praying I can land my dream job as a firefighter in Houston. I've talked to an acquaintance who works for the Houston Fire Dept. and he said obviously score high on the test. I have the 5 extra points for military service so I'd be happy to see a 105 on the test, but just do well on the test. He also said its similar to military processing in that yes be honest on your application, but don't disclose any additional unnecessary information. I heard the hiring process is long 6-9 months, and the pay sucks for the first couple years.

Lastly, and I'm sorry if this offends you or anyone else who reads this.... But my chances of getting hired are harder due to my skin color (I'm a white guy). HFD prides themselves on diversity, which is a nice way of saying they prefer to hire minorities over white men/women even if they're not as qualified. So if your a minority, good for you, you've got a better **** than me. If you're white.. Sorry.

Good luck to you! I hope we both get the opportunity to serve our city together. God bless.
    Maybe it's just me,but I'm just a little tired of people always assuming that if you lose out to a black guy, that black guy was less qualified, less deserving, or had the job "handed to him". Believe it or not I REALLY want to be a firefighter. I've taken my FF1&2 did 6 years as a medic in the Air Force, spent 3 years on the volunteer side, and just got my paramedic certification. I think I want the job just as badly as you do and have worked every bit as hard as you have in hopes of getting it someday... And I happen to be black. I guarantee that if I get the job, it'll be because I earned it... I realize I'm a little late, but I had to get that out.
    Last edited by merchan5967; 12-17-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Forum Member

Well contacted my recruiter about an email I was confused about, that I need to hand in my immunization records and that I'm being moved to another class?!, so does that mean I got it???,,,, so I called and asked which class am I being placed in. Recruiter: name? John Doe, ranking # ? 200-220, fast track? Yes, let me get your folder,,, driver record clean, PAT passed, Poly passed, immunization records handed in, questionnaire A&B verified, background came back clean, J.D. your good to go your being placed for the March class,,, I wanted to cry, I thanked him and said bye,,, originally scheduled for March and I know I handed in my shot record, still want that official email about job condition offer tho lol,,

Forum Member

I'm headed to Houston today for my orientation on the 7th projected for the June class. Is anyone else going ? I'm pretty excited about this opportunity.

Forum Member

Ok, I'm curious or I'm just being impatient like a little kid lol, job condition offer extended shows on my paper schedul for Feb.17-19, does that mean they'll let me know between those dates or is there a possibly that I'll receive something before that?

Thread Information