Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fire49

Thread: Ohio to Vermont Reciprocity / Challenge

D26
    Forum Member

Default Ohio to Vermont Reciprocity / Challenge

I am interested in becoming a firefighter for the state of Vermont. I am currently in the process of becoming an EMT/Paramedic and Level I & II Firefighter for the state of Ohio. I am enrolled at my community college of "Cuyahoga Community College" (Cleveland).

The training academy that I will be attending is a 260 hour course. Training includes topics related to the requirements established by the Ohio Revised Code for Career Fire Fighters and the training and educational requirements identified in NFPA 1001.

I am looking for information on reciprocity for Vermont Firefighter Level II Certification. Am I able to challenge the Vermont Firefighter Level I & II standards if I have my Ohio Firefighter Level I & II cert?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by D26 View Post
    I am interested in becoming a firefighter for the state of Vermont. I am currently in the process of becoming an EMT/Paramedic and Level I & II Firefighter for the state of Ohio. I am enrolled at my community college of "Cuyahoga Community College" (Cleveland).

The training academy that I will be attending is a 260 hour course. Training includes topics related to the requirements established by the Ohio Revised Code for Career Fire Fighters and the training and educational requirements identified in NFPA 1001.

I am looking for information on reciprocity for Vermont Firefighter Level II Certification. Am I able to challenge the Vermont Firefighter Level I & II standards if I have my Ohio Firefighter Level I & II cert?

First of all welcome to the FH Forums.

Google is you best friend when wanting to know what the requirements are in various fire department.

Having said that, look at the link, it should answer your questions.

http://firesafety.vermont.gov/fire_training/grants
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

D26
    Forum Member

Thanks for the help CaptOldTimer

I will complete NIMS 100, 200, and I think 700 here in Ohio. In Vermont I need ICS 100, and 200.

Will they look at NIMS as acceptable in place of ICS?

Also in Vermont you must have 9 hours of wildland firefighter training. I found "Fundamentals of Wildland Fire Suppression for Ohio Fire Departments" training.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/5145/Default.aspx

Any ideas on where I can find out if that course will be considered accredited by Vermont before I take it?

Forum Member

Would suggest call vermont direct and ask the question, and you might call twice, to see if you get the same answer

Certification Reciprocity

Firefighter Certification from other states may be recognized as recipricol for current in-state Vermont firefighters in some cases. Upon request, training experiences from outside the State of Vermont are evaluated for compliance with the NFPA Standards for firefighter qualifications and equivalency with Vermont's training programs to determine if they qualify for reciprocity.

Receiving reciprocity allows you to enter our system in advanced standing for prerequisite purposes. You will not be issued a Vermont certificate as we are recognizing your certifications as equivalent to current Vermont Fire Service Training Council requirements.

At this time, applications for reciprocity are entertained for those who are currently Vermont firefighters and under special circumstances, those who are relocating to Vermont from another state. We do not entertain applications for reciprocity for any other reason.

To apply for reciprocity, an individual must complete the Certification Reciprocity Application in it's entirety and submit it with detailed documentation of previous training experience. Once a completed application is recieved, it will be reviewed for compliance with applicable training standards.

Certification Reciprocity Application (Word)

Certification Reciprocity Application (PDF)

http://firesafety.vermont.gov/fire_training/grants

if you click on the reciprcity app, does not ask about wildland firefighting

D26
    Forum Member

Thank you fire49, very helpful.

Forum Member

Greetings,

My name is Bill Hicks and I am in my 18th year in the fire service, and currently serve as a fire chief. I am also a doctoral candidate at Eastern Kentucky University and my dissertation topic involves investigating the current status of firefighter reciprocity among the 50 states. I am seeking members of the fire service who may have experience in moving from state to state and seeking reciprocity, or recognition of certification issued by your old state, in a new state. Also, if you came from the military and sought reciprocity for DOD certificates, I would like to hear from you as well. If you have not experienced this, please forward the link below to anyone who you may know that has done this.

For those that have such experiences, I am humbly asking you to give 5 minutes of your time to answer a short series of question found at the link below on your experiences with seeking reciprocity, or recognition when you moved from one state to another, regardless of being paid or volunteer members in your department.

Also at the end of the survey you will have a space to share any experiences you may have had when dealing with reciprocity of fire service certifications in your department and with your state. Also feel free to forward this to any fire service member(s) who you feel would have something to say on the topic.

Your anonymity is protected throughout the process. Just click or copy the link below to begin.

https://ekussem.co1.qualtrics.com/SE...Z1aVMb9w1QhYtD

Also, if you would like to share your experiences with me in more depth after taking part in the survey, please leave your email in the beginning of the comments section at the end of the survey.

Thread Information