Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Question on Florida hiring process

I am looking to get back to Florida, DeLand to be exact and I have a question. I am not currently with a Department here in NC but I am almost finished with my Fire Science degree. Will I be required to take the state certification exam before applying in FL like all current firefighters or can I just apply as normal?

MembersZone Subscriber

You have to be at least a certified EMT and have your Florida Firefighter I & II to apply here. Most Departments want paramedics, but you can get away for now as an EMT-B. I emphasize FLORIDA STATE CERTIFIED. More than likely they will not accept any out of state certificates except for National EMT. I was already certified in another state as Firefighter I and II but unless it matches Florida's standard which is 480 hrs then you won't be able to sit for the challenge test....

So to answer your question, most likely no you cannot just apply. You will have to go to EMT school and the Fire Academy. However, at least you will have a degree which is always a plus... Also if you are a Veteran, the Florida Veterans preference is by far the best in my opinion.
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply. I am a vet actually (USCG) so that's good to know. I plan on taking EMT-B as part of my degree so I will look into going for my National reg as well. I will research NC's FF I&II to see how it stacks up. I'm also looking here for openings

Forum Member

Thanks for the links

Forum Member

Good luck with all that brother...

The way the job market is down here the few of us who are hired are very lucky.

Have you ever thought of just getting your Paramedics and getting scooped up by a department up there since it seems like the farther north you go the more hungry departments are for medics.

Just wondering brother....

Forum Member

I'm going through the hiring process for both Winston Salem and Greensboro but I am hoping to return to Florida

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKiefer View Post
    You have to be at least a certified EMT and have your Florida Firefighter I & II to apply here. Most Departments want paramedics, but you can get away for now as an EMT-B. I emphasize FLORIDA STATE CERTIFIED. More than likely they will not accept any out of state certificates except for National EMT.
    Call and ask the state. They are very friendly and helpful.

My experience is that Florida accepts SOME fire certifications from other states, but it only qualifies you to test for FL fire cert. You will have to go to the State Fire College and take the written and practical test. When I tested to maintain my standards (after 3 years it expires if you are not employed or volunteering) there were several others there from other states. The only two I remember were California and a structural FF from US Air Force.

BTW, I know we have answered this question many, many times. Use the search tool.
    ...at this time.

Thread Information