Thread: Time to move on

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Time to move on

So after many crazy ideas and forced patience, it is time for me to turn a leaf. I have been offered a job in another fire department, and after viewing all the pros and cons I have decided to take it. I will have the chance to go back to school and advance my career through a higher education. So now i have 48 hours to type up and turn in a two weeks notice. So my big question here is, What the best way to word and submit your two weeks notice?

Let's talk fire trucks!

Unless you have a personal relationship with the chief, or a strong emotional attachment to your current department, I would keep it short and to the point:

[date]

Chief XXXX
    XXXX Fire Department
    123 Main St.
    XXXXXX, XX 12345

Dear Chief:

It is with mixed emotions that I write this letter, informing you that I am resigning from the XXXX Fire Department, effective [date]. I have been provided an opportunity to work for another fire service agency, which will provide me with a chance to attend a school of higher education and further my long-term goals in life.

I am grateful for time I've spent with XXXXX, and look forward to maintaining relationships, both personal and professional, with the men and women here.

As always, please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have.

With regards,

FFRicketts
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

very well worded, do not burn the bridges down

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the reply. I have no intent on burning bridges, Just was not real sure how to word things.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Unless you have a personal relationship with the chief, or a strong emotional attachment to your current department, I would keep it short and to the point:

[date]

Chief XXXX
    XXXX Fire Department
    123 Main St.
    XXXXXX, XX 12345

Dear Chief:

It is with mixed emotions that I write this letter, informing you that I am resigning from the XXXX Fire Department, effective [date]. I have been provided an opportunity to work for another fire service agency, which will provide me with a chance to attend a school of higher education and further my long-term goals in life.

I am grateful for time I've spent with XXXXX, and look forward to maintaining relationships, both personal and professional, with the men and women here.

As always, please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have.

With regards,

FFRicketts
    ^ what BoxAlarm 187 said.

In addition,you should look into starting the process of transferring your pension funds to the new department if it is in a different pension system.

Check the new FD's health insurance plan and make sure that your doctors are on it; if not, you will have to find a new physician.
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 02-04-2013 at 07:45 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information