Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Prowland247

Thread: Fire Testing Prep.

Forum Member

Default Fire Testing Prep.

I am a new member here and realize that some of these questions that will be asked have been talked about ad nauseum. However I am looking to see if anyone on here has ever heard of or used Firequiz.com. I am 22 and currently a volunteer at my local FD. I have completed the 64 hr class and will be testing for FF1 soon. I am looking to apply at a paid fire department and want to do everything I can to assure that I am first and foremost ready for the written exam. I also want to make sure that I am ready for every part of the process of becoming a career FF. I realize that I must do great on the written test to make it further in the process. I am willing to do what it takes to become a career FF as it is and has been a dream of mine for quite sometime. So I guess what I am asking for is any advice and study material that will help me do great and to be able to stand out from the rest of the applicants. I have been studying Barron's FF Exam Book and have also ordered Capt. Bob Smith's gold package after reading about it on here and talking to other Firefighters about it. But in my search on google of fire testing prep sites I came upon a site that claims they can help me get ready for the actual FD that I am looking to test for which is Firequiz.com as stated in the opening. So if anyone has any opinions of the site or advice for helping me become ready for the process of becoming a career FF all input would be greatly appreciated. TIA for any helpful advice and sorry for any repeating questions that have already been asked on this site as I am still trying to navigate myself around this site which is a great site.

Forum Member

have not heard of firequiz, so have not input

just do not believe everything you read on the internet, sounds like you are going in the right direction with what you have.

I looked at two cities I know about and the """2013 Fire Exam Study Program"" had the same wording for both?????????????????

MembersZone Subscriber

I just looked up that website. I found that they offer a study guide for my hometown department. The catch is the department is all volunteer and there is no exam or oral board to study for. Be careful what you spend money on.
    FF II, EMT-P, Hazmat Tech

Forum Member

Thank You both for the input. After looking into the website more, and asking a few career FF that I know at the department that I am trying to get on at they all said don't do it. They advised me that what I have right now should be more then enough to get me ready for all parts of the process of being hired. However any input from anyone on here is more then welcome. I want to do all that I can and learn all that I can to become a great FF. When it comes to gaining more knowledge as a FF I feel as there is always a need for improvement and that you can learn no matter how long you've been a FF something new everyday in the fire service. So that is what I'm here for to learn and gain knowledge so thanks again.

Forum Member

national fire academy is cheap and great training

Forum Member

I went through - Norman Hall's Firefighter Exam Preparation Book, Petersons Master the Firefighter Exam Book, and Learning Express Firefighter Exam Book. I also purchased the gold package from EATSTRESS.com

That gold package is kind of repetitive but I think that is the idea. I went in to the oral board interviews and had come across every question that was asked of me! Real confidence booster! So in the end that was worth its weight in gold.

I took every practice test I could find online over and over. I finished the 3.5 hour test in about 44 minutes! So practice makes perfect.

Forum Member

How about the physical tests that will be in the academy... such as: the certian obstacles you will need to do, the different training etc....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by backwardsladder View Post
    I am a new member here and realize that some of these questions that will be asked have been talked about ad nauseum. However I am looking to see if anyone on here has ever heard of or used Firequiz.com. I am 22 and currently a volunteer at my local FD. I have completed the 64 hr class and will be testing for FF1 soon. I am looking to apply at a paid fire department and want to do everything I can to assure that I am first and foremost ready for the written exam. I also want to make sure that I am ready for every part of the process of becoming a career FF. I realize that I must do great on the written test to make it further in the process. I am willing to do what it takes to become a career FF as it is and has been a dream of mine for quite sometime. So I guess what I am asking for is any advice and study material that will help me do great and to be able to stand out from the rest of the applicants. I have been studying Barron's FF Exam Book and have also ordered Capt. Bob Smith's gold package after reading about it on here and talking to other Firefighters about it. But in my search on google of fire testing prep sites I came upon a site that claims they can help me get ready for the actual FD that I am looking to test for which is Firequiz.com as stated in the opening. So if anyone has any opinions of the site or advice for helping me become ready for the process of becoming a career FF all input would be greatly appreciated. TIA for any helpful advice and sorry for any repeating questions that have already been asked on this site as I am still trying to navigate myself around this site which is a great site.
    Its awesome you have such devotion towards the job, I myself also do. Well in order to become a firefighter these days you will need a EMT-B or EMT-I certificate, im sure it's EMT-I everywhere now. Look into any local community college for these courses and they can usually be paid w/ a grant from www.fafsa.com. It's good you have the volunteer work under your belt, but getting EMT done also would be a good thing to do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prowland247 View Post
    I went through - Norman Hall's Firefighter Exam Preparation Book, Petersons Master the Firefighter Exam Book, and Learning Express Firefighter Exam Book. I also purchased the gold package from EATSTRESS.com

That gold package is kind of repetitive but I think that is the idea. I went in to the oral board interviews and had come across every question that was asked of me! Real confidence booster! So in the end that was worth its weight in gold.

I took every practice test I could find online over and over. I finished the 3.5 hour test in about 44 minutes! So practice makes perfect.
    What edition of the master the firefighter exam book?

Thread Information