Forum Member

Default Winter Haven is hiring one spot right now

Hey everyone, Winter Haven, in Polk County, is hiring a single firefighter. Its a great little department, with an awesome retirement and kelly days, and a really nice culture. Apply ASAP if you are interested.

Forum Member

Kelly days? What's that?
    Winterhaven is a great department. They are ALS under Polk county's medical director and do not transport. They are FRS I believe, not that being state retirement really means much any more. Freakin kelly days...
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by utilitycow View Post
    Kelly days? What's that?
    Winterhaven is a great department. They are ALS under Polk county's medical director and do not transport. They are FRS I believe, not that being state retirement really means much any more. Freakin kelly days...
    Hi Utilitycow,

Not to get off the topic, but I thought the FRS was a BIG perk?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Want2BAFF. View Post
    Hi Utilitycow,

Not to get off the topic, but I thought the FRS was a BIG perk?
    Maybe you haven't heard about the 3 percent income tax p Rick Scott levied on all employees participating in the frs. If he gets his way, there won't be a frs for new employees. Since the recent changes in frs for new hires it may not be better than a city or private pension.
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

It is. Although it's not as good as it was 2 years ago, in my opinion it is still one of the best pensions in the state. Although the particulars of the FRS are a discussion for another day. The big question about the Kelly day is how often is it? Although one Kelly day a year is WAY better than NO Kelly day at all right?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Truck-10-VES View Post
    It is. Although it's not as good as it was 2 years ago, in my opinion it is still one of the best pensions in the state. Although the particulars of the FRS are a discussion for another day. The big question about the Kelly day is how often is it? Although one Kelly day a year is WAY better than NO Kelly day at all right?
    I don't think it's three weeks, but i am not 100% sure.
    I have no Kelly day, so, yes, one a year would be an improvement.
    Honestly, I'm considering a change that would mean starting over in seniority, going back to a Firefighter, and possibly losing income, just to get a three week Kelly.
    My comments were not meant to discourage anyone from applying for Winterhaven. It is an awesome department and they get some fire. The city is a good size and there is a good tax base. They have some nice equipment. I would definitely work there.
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

With the gas money you are saving but going to work 9 days a month instead of ten would it really be a pay cut? I bet the opportunities at this new department far exceed your current department also, am I right? So is it TRULY a pay cut? Or a huge opportunity?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Truck-10-VES View Post
    With the gas money you are saving but going to work 9 days a month instead of ten would it really be a pay cut? I bet the opportunities at this new department far exceed your current department also, am I right? So is it TRULY a pay cut? Or a huge opportunity?
    Wiith current gas prices it costs me about 20 bucks a shift in fuel, and i drive a relatively efficient car. I didn't get a second interview, so I guess the decision was made for me. And the advancement opportunities at my current department are better than anywhere else. I've heard it's many more years elsewhere to make engineer.
    ...at this time.

Thread Information