Forum Member

Default Junior Firefighter Program

Hey Everyone,

My name is Cody, I'm an Advanced EMT and Firefighter at a small rural fire department in North Alabama. I have recently been put in charge of starting up an explorer/cadet firefighter program, but I really need some help from those of you that have done this before. We've never had a cadet program before, and I definitely want to do it right and legal, so I contacted Learning for Life in Birmingham, and they sent me a packet containing information needed to start a program through them, but it also had a piece of paper with rules and do's/don't's from the state of Alabama, and it said that a department can start there own unaffiliated program as long as they follow the rules set forth. Our department decided that is what we want to do, but where do I get applications, consent forms, vaccine sheets, etc? Also, how are they covered under the insurance of the department? How about SOP's? I've already run a participation survey in the community to see if any teens were interested and had quite a few emails/phone calls. Sorry for the onslaught of questions. I'm sure you all have had this question asked many times before, but I couldn't find any documents or info specific for Alabama. Thanks so much.
    -
    Cody

MembersZone Subscriber

We just made up our own paperwork, with a review by a free attorney. The insurance covered the "students" or "juniors" as a matter of the basic insurance package we have.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are a number of Explorer programs - a web search may find some of them. I have some paperwork from Orange County, CA that goes back some years, which I believe I found on-line.

Contact your local Boy Scout office - they will have info on Explorer programs.

I will offer one bit of advice - the recruiting never ends. I've encountered several such programs that died when their last original member left. Keep new new kids coming in and make sure they're accepted and mentored by the older members. Adolescents can be cliquish.

Good luck with your efforts - a lot of active firefighters got their start in a junior program.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

This might be a good read...I've reviewed it before.
    http://www.vfis.com/documents/Junior...htermanual.pdf

MembersZone Subscriber

I was just rooting through some papers and ran across "Opening New Doors, The Silver Ribbon Report." It's subtitled "Guidelines and Best Practices for a Successful Youth Fire Service Program."

Other suggestions notwithstanding, this looks like an excellent, if generic, resource.

The report was produced by the Volunteer and Combination Officers Section of the International Association of Fire Chiefs in November of 2009.

Here's the link: http://www.iafc.org/files/VCOS_SilverRibbonReport.pdf
    Last edited by tree68; 02-05-2013 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Found link to document.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Thanks everyone! I've gotten the applications, parental consent forms, and liability waivers all printed out; I presented them along with the rules and regulations at the meeting tonight. Everything went well, and we are one step closer to getting our Jr. Firefighter program started up. Again, big thanks to all of you. I will be reviewing the information on the links posted here. Take care
    -
    Cody

Thread Information